Leaking half shaft seal

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
This seal (driver side) has been siliconed once by the dealer; it still leaked; dealer replaced it about three weeks ago; it is still leaking. Does this type of seal need a bit of time to "wear to the half shaft" or should the half shaft be dry and stay dry from the day of installation? Has anyone else had a problem with a leaking half shaft seal?

Thanks for any information. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Check the old post for the TSB on this. It should be fixed with the new seals and no leaking afterwards.

Aug 25, 2006
Agreed

The seal is sold over the counter with a special tool used to insert without damage

As for a previous repair having been made with silicon before the seal that is now leaking weas installed; if the same technician for both task I would promptly select another. The initial process is "UNACCEPTABLE" and the seal replacement may have simply been the draw of the cards but ....................

No they should not leak and require no break-in period

Shadowman

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Agreed

The seal is sold over the counter with a special tool used to insert without damage

As for a previous repair having been made with silicon before the seal that is now leaking weas installed; if the same technician for both task I would promptly select another. The initial process is "UNACCEPTABLE" and the seal replacement may have simply been the draw of the cards but ....................

No they should not leak and require no break-in period

Shadowman
Shadowman is absolutely correct about this! Our GT's shouldn't be touched by any "shadetree mechanic" with a tube of silicone seal. Make sure that seal surface on the shaft is clean and smooth. Also, make sure that the transmission case where the seal presses into is free from defects.

One of my seals had a defective outer lip which allowed moisture to get trapped in between seal and shaft. This caused some superficial corrosion which was easy to clean.

If any of you have an emergency, I have these seal kits in stock.

Good luck,

Jay
GTsaver

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses! I wasn't sure if there was a break in period for these seals or not. I didn't think so, don't know where I heard that. I will discuss your points with the service manager tomorrow (who has been very helpful and responsive to date; but I think the folks just get ahead of themselves at times and don't pay attention to detail).

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Tsb

Check the old post for the TSB on this. It should be fixed with the new seals and no leaking afterwards.

I hate to be so dumb about this, but do we have a list of technical service bulletins for the FGT's on this site? I did a search and couldn't find the post to which you refer. I may be mistaken, but I believe the service manager at the Ford dealership said the TSB said to use the silicone to stop the leak and failing that, then replace the seal. I know, it sounded mickey mouse to me at the time, but I took him at his word. Anyway, this will be attempt number three.

(You know, I bet there would be a good business for the GT Guys to start a school to teach owners and Ford service technicians how to maintain and care for these cars. A guy who retired from the Corvette plant, Gordon Killebrew, did just that and is doing very well. I attended one of his classes on electrical systems of the C4 for $250 for an eight hour session. Money well spent, and there sure is a similar need for the Ford GT as well!)

Thanks.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Roger, I think DBK deleted the reference when he finally cleaned out the half-shaft threads. I'm not home until Saturday, but have it printed there and will send you a PM with the proper number. Frank

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
I have my halfshafts disassembled right now in prep for the Accufab bolt kit. I recall that TSB and if memory serves, it was not so much to address the seals leaking, but the fact that fluid can weep through/along the shaft splines, which effectively gives it a different path which bypasses the lips of the seals. The procedure was to clean all the splines, add some sealant and assemble. This apparently has stopped some leaks. One would have to determine if the spline issue or the seals are causing one's leak. I have the TSB at home and will double check it tonight.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
I have my halfshafts disassembled right now in prep for the Accufab bolt kit. I recall that TSB and if memory serves, it was not so much to address the seals leaking, but the fact that fluid can weep through/along the shaft splines, which effectively gives it a different path which bypasses the lips of the seals. The procedure was to clean all the splines, add some sealant and assemble. This apparently has stopped some leaks. One would have to determine if the spline issue or the seals are causing one's leak. I have the TSB at home and will double check it tonight.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense to me. I will copy your post and take it with me to the service manager. But to be clear, you are saying the splines themselves are against the lips of the seal? Yes? So, to prevent the leak, put the sealant on the outer portion of the splines where they are in contact with the seal. Thanks, once more.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Here it is.......

Attachments

• TSB 06-23-08 bolts.doc
    50 KB · Views: 231

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Thanks, that's just what the doctor ordered!

Aug 25, 2006

The seal rides arond the perimeter of the coupler; no issues there the issue is within the coupler and under the hardened washer that is secured by the 2 bolts. The area under the washer needs to be cleaned and then a bead of sealant is applied akin to a donut around the end of the stub axle and the coupler and then when the washer is installed and secured into position the sealant will be able to seal this path way

I hope this helps

Shadowman

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Shadowman is correct, and to answer your early question to me - no, the splines are not in contact with the seal. Perhaps the easiest way to visualize it is to think of the outer hub which is secured with the controversial bolts and thick washer. Well the OD of this hub pushes into the seal (i.e. the smooth outer OD of this hub is what rides against the lips of the seal). The hub has a "hole" in the middle which is splined - female splines, which mate with the male splines on the output shaft from the transaxle. Your car could be leaking in between the smooth OD and the seal lips, or in between the male/female splines. The splines provide an alternative path for transaxle fluid to follow because they are not a very tight fit (male to female). If fluid flows outward between the splines, the only thing preventing it from coming out completely (and dripping below the car) will be any sealant you put on the thick washer securing the hub to the output shaft - just as Shadowman described. I will seal mine up as he describes, and hopefully all will be well. Hope this helps, and a thanks once again to Shadowman for all the info he provides us. :cheers