Le Mans trip

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I've done the Port Angeles to Victoria MV Coho ferry in my 1-ton truck. I would not have wanted to try to have done that crossing in my GT. For one, the cars are loaded very tightly so that it would be virtually impossible to exit your GT by opening the door. Secondly, the ramps are bumpy and can be steep, depending on the tide.

ed.life

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2012
Victoria B.C. Canada
call me and I can fill you in 250-380-8282 ....ed.life, victoria b.c.

ed.life

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2012
Victoria B.C. Canada
I frequently go back and forth to Vancouver on B.C. Ferries, the trick is to ask to be put on the lower deck with the big trucks . the lanes are wider and there are no family station wagons packed with kids.....ed.life

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Hijack!

Ed

Hijack!

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Anybody taking a boat to LeMans with their car?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ok, now we are back on track. I looked into shipping the GT in a container for LeMans but the prohibitive cost is not shipping but insurance once the GT is on the road in Europe. It was going to be $10-20K for 2 weeks!

Ed

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
ouch !

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ok, now we are back on track. I looked into shipping the GT in a container for LeMans but the prohibitive cost is not shipping but insurance once the GT is on the road in Europe. It was going to be $10-20K for 2 weeks!

Ed

I know of another group planning a Euro cruise that canceled due to this.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
And we get to see the 2016 LeMans Ford Hospitality Package in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
Anybody taking a boat to LeMans with their car?

I will be .... but its only a short trip across the channel from England. ��

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas

Ed

Still hoping Mr DBK will pull a rabbit out of his hat so some of us can take the cars

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Still hoping Mr DBK will pull a rabbit out of his hat so some of us can take the cars

Hoping for the same. What an epic trip this could be.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE

Ed

Good morning Ed.
Good morning everyone.

I discovered your problem of insurance, a few weeks ago.
The amounts requested are incomprehensible. There is no particular danger to cruse on the European roads.

I am working to solve this unexpected problem.
I asked for a study at several Companies in Europe to ensure your Ford GT during the month of your trip.
I have not yet received the right answer, but I persevere.

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to all.

Francis (Saint Ho).

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Check Clements for insurance. https://www.clements.com/

They used to be reasonable. Maybe they still are.

That said, insurance will likely be one of the lesser of many potentially catastrophic problems associated with turning your GT over for several months to countless transporters, longshoremen, warehousemen, customs bureaucrats, etc.

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
There's a chance I may be going. I'm not a Ford GT owner, but am a massive fan. Could I possibly tag along with you guys if I make it?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Check Clements for insurance. https://www.clements.com/

They used to be reasonable. Maybe they still are.

That said, insurance will likely be one of the lesser of many potentially catastrophic problems associated with turning your GT over for several months to countless transporters, longshoremen, warehousemen, customs bureaucrats, etc.

If it were to happen, our GTs would be inspected, containerized & sealed. We would be there when they are placed in & when opened. Ocean shipped containers.

Ed

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Edsel Ford owns an air freight company. If he is the stand-up guy i think he is, he'll do us a deal on flying the cars there and back!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
There's a chance I may be going. I'm not a Ford GT owner, but am a massive fan. Could I possibly tag along with you guys if I make it?

You'll have to keep your eyes open for the sign up of the trip. I'm sure it will probably be for forum members first & if space is available after then forum spectators may have a chance. I would feel your chances are slim with the forum trip though, so you may want to start investigating other trips just in case. I've noticed there are quite a few groups advertising organized trips for this LeMans. Good luck Bullitt2065.

Ed

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Last edited:

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I really like the 24 logo, but some of the shirts do have that Charlie Harper look as previously mentioned. This site can't use the copyrighted logo but seems to have an interesting variety of shirts.

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/le+mans+t-shirts?coupon=YESTEES&gclid=CJuu-tujmcoCFQyFaQodzrANyg