Lack Performance on the bottom end?

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
First let me state that I am not a race car driver nor do I claim that this car is not fast!
My question relates to the bottom end power on the FGT.

I have been driving off road vehicles all my life with mucho horsepower in the sand dunes. I have had plenty of fast cars in my life as well. I bought my FGT because it is beautiful and fast.

I have had my FGT for three months now, and have been taken my time getting used to it. Recently, I have Cool Tech (Kendall) change the pulley + Tune, Heffner pipes, spark plugs, oil change, and Trans cooler. So this should have put some extra ponies under the hood. (Side note what a class act Kendall and his team are!)

My question to you folks is are you able to smoke your tires from a roll start in first gear or do you still need to dump the clutch?

I am not able to even get a chirp out of my tires in first or second. I am at a rolling start and I have pinned the throttle to the floor with no burnout. I was wondering if my clutch is bad or is it something else? Is their a place in Southern California where I could get it Dyno? Top end is fantastic this car rocks my world..

By the way just got my new License Plates in

HAPPY GT

Happy Feet

Come to the dark side we have cookies! :rofl

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
You should be able to put the thing in the ditch. Something is not right, especially if you are running the stock goodyears. We did a pulley and tune on a GT today and the thing gets completely stupid in first and second.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Tire smoke.

Happy,

My car has a pully & tune and from a rolling start if I step on the gas (with the clutch all the way out) it smokes the tires in 1st and 2nd. I get so much wheelspin the car is dangerous if I'm not going straight. Something is wrong with your car. I can't get mine to hook up until 3rd gear.

Chip

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Happy,

My car has a pully & tune and from a rolling start if I step on the gas (with the clutch all the way out) it smokes the tires in 1st and 2nd. I get so much wheelspin the car is dangerous if I'm not going straight. Something is wrong with your car. I can't get mine to hook up until 3rd gear.

Chip

What do you think it might be then?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
What do you think it might be then?

Its broke.... :biggrin

Sorry, had to do it. You need to get Kendall to look at it

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Its broke.... :biggrin

Sorry, had to do it. You need to get Kendall to look at it

Too dam funny!

I found a new Avatar that makes me happy!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Expert opinion needed.

Happy,

I know very little about the mechanics of these cars. I can only relay how mine drives. We need the opinion of.....

Rich?

Shadowman?

or ???????

Chip

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Could be a vacuum leak. Could be a tune issue. Without putting our hands on the car is very hard to pinpoint

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was wondering if my clutch is bad...

If that were the case, when you put your foot down, your engine revs would INCREASE w/o a corresponding increase in acceleration/speed. IOW, the engine would seem to "free wheel" to one degree or another when accelerating in whatever gear.

(By the way...judging from your avatar, you'r now "channeling" BONY! :biggrin :cheers)

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
If that were the case, when you put your foot down, your engine revs would INCREASE w/o a corresponding increase in acceleration/speed. IOW, the engine would seem to "free wheel" to one degree or another when accelerating in whatever gear.

(By the way...judging from your avatar, you'r now "channeling" BONY! :biggrin :cheers)

The revs are not increasing in a dramatic way in relation to the speed of the car now that you mention it..

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
You should be able to put the thing in the ditch.

I can confirm that is no rumor!

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Could be a vacuum leak. Could be a tune issue. Without putting our hands on the car is very hard to pinpoint

That would be a bummer putting it in a ditch, but I would like to be able soil my pants from time to time and knowing that the horsepower is there for me to use! The vacuum leak is a consideration, is there something I should be able to check?

Happy

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
There is a valve on the side of the supercharger that opens and closes. Whn open, it will not allow the car to make as much boost. Pay attention to your boost gauge the next time you drive the car. Get the car going to a role. Lets do it in third gear as to be safe. Get going about 50 mph, and when in third and crusing alone, PUT THE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. If your boost does not get in the 15 psi range, there is something wrong as you are not building the correct boost. If this is the case, first thing I would check is the vacuum lines that control that valve.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Once it is fixed you will be happy

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Yea you should blow the tires away in first and second! Check your blow off valve. My first Whipple had that problem had no power.

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
There is a valve on the side of the supercharger that opens and closes. Whn open, it will not allow the car to make as much boost. Pay attention to your boost gauge the next time you drive the car. Get the car going to a role. Lets do it in third gear as to be safe. Get going about 50 mph, and when in third and crusing alone, PUT THE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. If your boost does not get in the 15 psi range, there is something wrong as you are not building the correct boost. If this is the case, first thing I would check is the vacuum lines that control that valve.

I need to be happy!

I will give that a try tomorrow. Is it going to be higher than 15 psi range with the new pulley on it, or have you already consider that?

Best Regards,

Chuck

H

HHGT

You're only 20 minutes from me. I will volunteer to trash the tires for you if you wish...

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
You're only 20 minutes from me. I will volunteer to trash the tires for you if you wish...

Hell if you could do that without dumping the clutch, I would buy you dinner! Your choice, But I do like Parkway Grill.

Happy Meal I mean Happy Feet

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
w/ Whipple - I can officially say she will come around in a run wide open at 5k in 3rd gear....

From Day 1 wo pulley it was "Hot" through 2 gear. To Chips point with pulley through three gears :thumbsup

w Power in the FGT oversteer is bad and natural issue.. even to compensate I had the rear camber set back another -1 degree to offset the push:biggrin Thanks Alex and Shadowman!

Something is wrong! Let Kendall romp on her.

BTW - governor is set so first 40 miles it limits to 4k rpm...... dumb quess - Miles?

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
w/ Whipple - I can officially say she will come around in a run wide open at 5k in 3rd gear....

From Day 1 wo pulley it was "Hot" through 2 gear. To Chips point with pulley through three gears :thumbsup

w Power in the FGT oversteer is bad and natural issue.. even to compensate I had the rear camber set back another -1 degree to offset the push:biggrin Thanks Alex and Shadowman!

Something is wrong! Let Kendall romp on her.

BTW - governor is set so first 40 miles it limits to 4k rpm...... dumb quess - Miles?

2100 miles of that 1100 of pure joy from me!!!!
:banana