Is assaulting the US President a crime?

H

HHGT

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq_shoe_tosser

I'm sure many of you guys have seen this, but I was wondering, Is assaulting the US President a crime? Is the crime dealt with the same way here in the States as it is overseas?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I am sure that throwing shoes at the pres is a no, no and the punishment in Iraq I would guess is much more severe. We are all reminded of shoe bomber every time we pass the security check points at US airports. That thrown shoe could been a bomb! If he got away with throwing I shoe, it could have just as easily been a knife. Where was the security?

H

HHGT

I guess my question is who's got custody of the Iraqi version of Al Bundi after the throwing act?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I guess my question is who's got custody of the Iraqi version of Al Bundi after the throwing act?

I would leave him in the hands of the Iraqis. Under no terms would you want to try him in the US! He was probably not read his Miranda rights and would get off on a technicality and then be collecting one of the stimulus checks and food stamps that I pay for but never receive!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I heard on the news tonight the Iraqis have him in wunna their prisons.

H

HHGT

He was probably not read his Miranda rights

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I gotta tell ya.....the only thing that was more impressive than the accuracy of both shoe throws was how quick Buch ducked......like a ninja

H

HHGT

I gotta tell ya.....the only thing that was more impressive than the accuracy of both shoe throws was how quick Buch ducked......like a ninja

Are you back? How did it go?

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Back...and all is well....thanks for your help Sam.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Gotta hand it to GW....he was brave, cool-headed and stood his ground

Many a man would have run away, dove for the floor or just lost it

It could have been a grenade, knife or worse

The secret service was nonsense; 7 seconds between reloads...freaking camera guys took him out

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
News reports have it that the guy who threw the shoes is being fêted as a hero by the Iraqi's.

Age old saying - No good deed goes unpunished.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Al Bundi and NoMAM is my weekly meeting social group I attend!

but I swear we had nothing to do with this (hand in pants and sigh)

btw - that is where I first met Franky

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Al Bundi and NoMAM is my weekly meeting social group I attend!

"Oh, Aaaaal! I'm hoooome! Did you miss me Al?"

"With every bullet so far......."

I LOVED that show!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
--George Bush was great!
---The shoe thrower is being treated like a national hero
---but someone in the Secret Service needs a performance review and some remedial training.
AJB

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That thrown shoe could been a bomb!... Where was the security?

One would have to assume everybody went thru a security screening that was a bit "stiffer" than normal airport security before getting that close to POTUS..............wouldn't one??? :shrug :willy

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime

Com,on guys, the secret service knew about the practice there, and GW was extensively trained for it.. I hear his popularity ratings there are even less that in US of A or Kazachstan...:frown

edited by bony

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
It would have been just too cool if Bush could have caught the second shoe and thrown it back at him.

It irritates me that the media will talk up the shoe thrower being a hero in Irag but fails to mention how outraged a hell of a lot of Americans are. At least I am.

Roger

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
have to agree Bush pulled out his ninja skills.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Assaulting anyone is a crime isn't it? Throwing objects at the President is most certainly a crime - it's also insulting to the office of the President.

It is an insult in many Muslim countries to show the soles of your shoes - so throwing shoes is like giving someone the bird but actually inserting it. Probably a bad and unhygienic example. :biggrin

Given the global sensitivity of both the US and UK troops being in Iraq, it's probably a wise course to ignore the assault as we all go about our business trying not to offend anyone from minority groups but allowing them to insult us.

Me? Cynical? Never.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Could he have done that to Saddam?:rolleyes

He would have had to eat his shoes then his balls before being throwninto a pit and buried.:devil

I would guess he is glad Democracy is working.:rofl