Interesting observation

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I have been having what I consider to be excess wheel spin or lack of control upon full acceleration. In first, second or third my car really gets the rear out sideways whenever I accelerate under full throttle requiring a let off and making for some interesting moments. When I first got the car it did not happen nearly as easy. At first, I thought it had to be the tires but now I am thinking that a small amount of transmission oil "mist" was getting on my rear tires.
I have the typical small amount of black dust build-up on my rear after driving some distance (a common complaint based on prior member posts) and on my rear wheel wells. It really is a very small amount. In addition, I noticed an oily coating/build-up in my rear belly pan which I finally traced to the transmission breather tube. There was not a lot of oil just a fine coating over some portion of the pan leading to the breather. I removed the belly pan and cleaned it and I remover the breather cleaned it, re-sealed it and if necessary will either extend the vent or attach a small rubber tube exiting beneath the rear. Maybe mist from this vent is what is causing some of the black dust build up other members have been commenting about because it is very hard to see the small amount of oil mist that was coating my rear belly pan and possibly the tires.
Could this be what is causing my apparent lack of traction. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Something is very wrong. These cars are quick but not even close to breaking the tires loose in 3rd. Please get the car checked before driving again.

I'm new to the car and unfortunately have no idea what the problem may be. But there is definitely a problem. Good luck.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Traction issues during winter are not unusual. Cold asphalt, cold tires, grit on road surface all work to lessen traction. The colder it gets, the more problematic these factors become. I assume you are keeping up with your tire pressures. Also, the supercharged engine makes more power with a cold air charge than with a hot one. JMHO.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
My last car (Z06) would start to break the tires loose with just a hard roll on after the tires got around 10,000 miles on them. The GT comes with the same tires. As I understand they get harder and harder with each additional heat cycle. Also last night here in So. Cal we had a very harsh night of cold 48F. and for the first time the GT broke loose in a first gear roll on. Good air and cold asphalt I figure. However I think it would take a bunch of help ie. wet or ice on the ground to make it break in third regardless of the tires.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The tires that come on the car react drastically different when the temperature drops below 40*. Even in relatively mild air you'll notice a loss of traction, and as the temps get ever lower, you will experience what seems like exponentially worse grip.

Such a hard tire on a car with relatively big torque can equal disaster on cold surfaces. Let us know if it performs any different when the temps rise a bit.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Saber,

I’ve broken the rear tires loose in third at 70 mph when hitting the throttle hard. It was on a cold, damp day here in the UK but there was no rain or snow. The car started to go sideways on a relatively busy motorway (interstate) but as you all know the car is very forgiving in such circumstances.

Following this experience I’m now very careful when accelerating quickly if the temperature is below 45 (or so) degrees.

Rob

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Good information however my traction problem really started in Oct. when I started to notice a difference. I guess that I am asking if other owners have noticed a slight oily build up on any of the visable sections of the rear belly pan or if anyone has had to replace their transmission breather fitting.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
the oil film is not normal, this needs to be checked out. no arguments about temperature drops effecting traction.