Intercooler Oil Vapor

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
A year or so ago I installed a Moroso oil vapor separator to minimize the oil getting into and coating the S/C intercooler. I emptied the can for the first time after about 5000 leisurely miles today and I thought I would share the results with you. The can collected about 1/3 of a cup of oil that would otherwise have been injested into the S/C and intercooler. I don't mean to suggest that you install a separator, because the oil on the intercooler apparently isn't doing any harm.......but it isn't doing any good either.

Howard

Moroso Oil Catch Can (2).jpgMoroso Catch Can (1).jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
:agree:

Thanks for sharing. My experience is the same. An oil covered inter-cooler can't be a good thing.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Evan Guyett's separators are on back order. On the list to get one as soon as they churn a few others out in a week or two (along with the trans breather).

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Howard,

I'm surprised that is all the oil you collected after 5,000 miles. You must be much more gentle with your car than I am with mine. lol
My car desperately needed a separator. I have the one from Evan Guyett.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 262

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Howard: I have the same mod on my car for the past year or more. Never checked it; guess I better look at what it collected after I get the car home from the rally. Are you going BTW?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Good hearing from you, Tachy. I won't be at R8, but we really should get together when I'm back in Venice for the winter.

Howard

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Can you post more pics on the plumbing take off from the engine etc.. Cheers

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Simply interrupt the hose connecting the crankcase to the S/C. I used an existing threaded hole in the chassis and a simple fabricated bracket.

Howard

FGT Separator Mounted 2.jpg

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I drained my Guyett separator at my last oil change. About a cup in 5000 miles. Was quite surprising the amount of oil it collects from the vapor.

Exactly which Moroso model did you fit? They list a bunch, in two different sizes.

Thanks!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Any of the Moroso models will fit, because all applications only differ by the mounting bracket supplied, and none of the the brackets fit our application. If you look at the catalog illustrations you can see that the body of the separator can be rotated in it's holder to orient the input/output fittings to suit. The only difference between models is the customized bracket that connects the holder to the car. So, order the cheapest model and be prepared to fab your own, simple aluminum bracket. I ordered P/N 85478 in the hope I could make that bracket work. It didn't.

Howard

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Great post Howard. Thank you.

Thanks for the idea and the info!

David

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Guyett System for Heffner TT GT's.

Gentlemen,

I had Evan Guyett do the design work to develop a special system using twin air-oil separators for the Heffner Twin Turbo GT's that cannot use the separator developed for the stock supercharged cars. I have posted photographs in a separate thread titled "Info and Cool Stuff for Heffner TT Owners". My car also collects a lot of oil and that air-oil separator. All the best.

Chip

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
I was recommended the model Jegs sells for Chrysler by stormcat, and the supplied bracket only needed the mounting hole drilled out larger in order to fit.
Any of the Moroso models will fit, because all applications only differ by the mounting bracket supplied, and none of the the brackets fit our application. If you look at the catalog illustrations you can see that the body of the separator can be rotated in it's holder to orient the input/output fittings to suit. The only difference between models is the customized bracket that connects the holder to the car. So, order the cheapest model and be prepared to fab your own, simple aluminum bracket. I ordered P/N 85478 in the hope I could make that bracket work. It didn't.

Howard