Insurance for potential 2016 LeMans Trip with GT

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
As one of our brethren wisely advised in another thread, better start thinking about insurance sooner rather than later...

My GT is covered with Hagerty and initial enquiries about some coverage, any coverage, for taking my car to Europe has come back nada.. Not something they would consider or cover.

Anyone in the US have a policy that would cover the excursion abroad? Canada or Mexico seem to be no problem but Europe seems to be another matter.

Anyone in Europe know of a "one off" plan that could be acquired for 2 to 4 weeks driving for the events?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Joe, thanks for making this a dedicated topic.

It is important to note that in all likelihood your US policy does not cover travel outside of the US and Canada. I know mine specifically excludes Mexico (as does all US insurance). AAA does provide "day trip" kind of stuff but I don't know about long term.

I was told the "Shelby Re-Run Europe" this year was canceled because of the insurance issue. My suggestion in the other forum to the person going on long term assignment was to check with AAA. I don't know if he ever followed through.

Maybe Drew has something or can put something together?

Good luck guys!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
AutoCasco

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I'm hoping that we will be offered a total package that includes insurance, shipping, import fees and all other miscellaneous charges and taxes that go along with sending our cars to Europe! - plus the lodging and program for the period. I was expecting this to be presented to us at last year's, and then this year's rally, but alas, I have seen nothing presented yet!

There is very little time left to accomplish all of this, and I think we deserve some consideration so that we can make our expense and travel plans!

So far - I'm disappointed!

I think we need to have some facts presented to us regarding the total package - and SOON!

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I asked Drew about it at the Rally. He was going to look into it but he felt it would be very expensive. Let's see what he comes up with for us.

Ed

Drew@ClassicAuto

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
I am looking into this at the moment. Have some feelers out to different contacts. Will let you know what I find out.