Inside information on 2017 Ford GT

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I know of one supplier (that shall remain nameless) that was asked to bid based on X number of cars/year X 6 years.

That does not mean the contract is for six years. Nor that production will be for six years. Nevertheless, that was one of the specs.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What's that you say? You have a dream and it cannot be properly realized by the Ford Motor Company?? We certainly can't have that! You go ahead get your carbon body car, we'll finish it off-line for you at an incredibly outrageous amount of $$. I'll forward my bank routing number to you yet this afternoon!

Pasteiner's 2018 C&C:

Ford-GT-race-car.jpg

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Oh that photo is badass!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I know of one supplier (that shall remain nameless) that was asked to bid based on X number of cars/year X 6 years.

That does not mean the contract is for six years. Nor that production will be for six years. Nevertheless, that was one of the specs.

Don't be a tease. What is the "X number"? I hate Algebra.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I was on the press launch for the Mercedes-Benz McLarne SLR in 2003, and they told us they would make 500 a year for 7 years. The car was quite disappointing and I knew as soon as I heard it the production run would never last 7 years. It wasn't competitive in year 1, so how could they sell 3,500 over 7 years?

Well, they actually kept production going for 7 years, but only sold 1,400, and let's just say they haven't had the same price appreciation curve as the GT.

All that said, the GT will be different in several ways:
1. It will actually be competitive, if not pace setting, when it launches (yes, I'm making some assumptions, so sue me...).
2. As the halo car for a volume brand it has a much larger potential audience than Mercedes-Benz.
3. It's got a heritage that goes back over 50 years, which further increases its buyer group (M-B tried to tie the SLR to the original SLR...FAIL...)

Plus at only 250 a year (or less) that's half the annual planned volume of the SLR.

Conclusion: Bring on 6 years of new GT!!

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Don't be a tease. What is the "X number"? I hate Algebra.

Common number being tossed around. This is not new news. Goes back to early last year. Production is limited by CF tub ovens. Loose lips sink ships, but I think contracts and production are far enough along that this should no longer be contract confidential.

More pertinent, when do the car magazines get a car to flog?

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The only rumors I take any credence in is from DBK!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
The only rumors I take any credence in is from DBK!

Absolutely!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBK, I am sorry to say you have offended Ed Sims, StormCat and CobraR. They have contacted me personally and conveyed you should take their allocations when available. Thank you.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Pasteiner's 2018 C&C:

Ford-GT-race-car.jpg

Wicked !! ..

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
DBK, I am sorry to say you have offended Ed Sims, StormCat and CobraR. They have contacted me personally and conveyed you should take their allocations when available. Thank you.

You said you were in on the same deal.. so I guess that's 4 for DBK..

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The CAFE rules begin ratcheting up for the 2017 model year. We will see what that does to performance cars soon. Hopefully Ford can sell enough hybrids and plug ins to offset the performance cars. I'm doing my part. Hybrid Escape, Hybrid Fusion to offset coyote mustang and the GT.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Pasteiner's 2018 C&C:

Ford-GT-race-car.jpg

Damn this car looks good in black... white, red, blue, or whatever color they decide to paint it!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
For me, simply Clearcoat would be enough ...

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I was talking to a local investment banker, who had a customer that worked for the FBI. Anyway the FBI guy said they had been doing surveillance on some executives in the Detroit area and he overheard that they will be adding some type homing robot and rotary saws to the next generation GT. I swear he sounded totally legitimate! Plus his bought his kid a mustang for graduation so he's gotta be on the inside loop, right?

attachment.php

...love me some rumors! Keep 'em coming.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 399

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Fubar, April Fools was last week.

06fordgt