IMSA - GT's Racing at Road America

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
That race was an emotional roller coaster!! Something has to give on the power. It was obvious not only with the Corvette, but when he was trying to put distance between him and shit for brains Vilander.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Rex, you are 100% right on.
DAVE, I'll make you a deal, you give me spelling and grammar lessons and I'll teach you about automotive mechanics ......you know, man stuff.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Rex, you are 100% right on.
DAVE, I'll make you a deal, you give me spelling and grammar lessons and I'll teach you about automotive mechanics ......you know, man stuff.

Did he lose power or not?

"NO NO NO I WATCHED IT ON THE DVR."

I know, with old age comes loss of hearing. :lol

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
He (the 67) lost power right after the beating Ford gave the field at Le Mans.:lol

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Crud... Don't know how much that Fricken Fertardi banging things up had to do with things, but a race win would have put Ford in pretty good standing for the championship.:bang

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I met a Risi mechanic a few days ago at an Ace hardware store (!). Risi is based in Houston. He told me that, at Le Mans, Chip Ganassi himself came into the Risi pit and said "if you don't let us finish 1-2-3 we're going to report the leader light problem". Apparently the Ferrari boss said "go f**k yourself" and the rest was history. I don't know how true this story is, but it seemed clear in today's race that, even with all the BOP BS, the GT kicks ass, more speed than the Fezzas or Vettes, and for sure, more grip. COTA will be, err, interesting!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
If he really lost a turbo, I can only conclude he must have been running waste gate open (naturally aspirated) anyway, he sure didn't lose much ground for loss of a turbo.

I lost a turbo at the Mojavi Mile and it was disastrous. Lost a ton of power and caused a lot of smoke. I didn't see anything like that from the GT today. Car looked fine and only a tick slower.

Chip

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Considering Ford has 5 consecutive podiums with 3 wins and Risi has none of the above, it's easy to see why.

Yeah, but Ferrari won the DEKRA Green Challenge Award for the 4th time. Awesome! Since the Ford GT/488 comparison isn't very favorable to Ferrari, perhaps they should market the 488 against the Prius.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I prefer to be on the cutting edge in fashion with my choice of automobile and matching attire. I am unable to find the requisite shoes to match my potential Prius purchase.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 134

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I lost a turbo at the Mojavi Mile and it was disastrous. Lost a ton of power and caused a lot of smoke. I didn't see anything like that from the GT today. Car looked fine and only a tick slower.

Chip

If you were running <2 psi of boost, instead of the +6 psi in your car, you'd find a 'failure'' to be noticeable, but certainly not a disaster. The 'loss' might easily have be attributable to a failed waste gate or boost sensor that took away the deminimus amount of boost that we do get.

The BoP formula has the GT so dialed back on power, Ford would be better off 'shoehorning' in a spec 5.0 crate motor from Ford Racing and call it a day. Surely IMSA would then restore our proper minimum car weight and fuel tank size to be comparable to that awesome Corvette.

Last edited:

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Didn't say anything about losing a turbo in the post-race interview.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Westbrook was really restrained in his comments, he's a class act. That conversation needs to happen in a closed room.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
If you were running <2 psi of boost, instead of the +6 psi in your car, you'd find a 'failure'' to be noticeable, but certainly not a disaster. The 'loss' might easily have be attributable to a failed waste gate or boost sensor that took away the deminimus amount of boost that we do get.

Cobrar,

The GT's are running less than 2 lbs of boost?!? So the GT turbos are only adding about 14% more power than the 3.5 would have as a N/A motor. Losing one turbo would only redeuce power 7% assuming it the failure didn't create an intake restriction. I know there are other factors but 2 lbs isn't much. I was pushing 30 lbs and over 1100hp when I blew my turbo.

Chip

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I prefer to be on the cutting edge in fashion with my choice of automobile and matching attire. I am unable to find the requisite shoes to match my potential Prius purchase.

Have you not heard of Birkenstocks?

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
g6nCm7a.gif

XVl8hKY.gif

q99HRzm.gif

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Great shots! Very happy the F car spun out... driving way to aggressive! Looks like he also caused 3 or 4 others to pass the car he cut in front of...

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Wow ! Looks like old school demolition derby.