If I buy from a repitable dealer such as Merv Rose, would I need PPI?

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Has anybody bought without doing a PPI?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Him or Shelby, you are safe, well Shelby for sure

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
ALWAYS a PPI. Marv is NOT a mechanical expert on these cars, nor does he claim to be. Contact me offline if you want more info.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
PPI, cheap insurance and well worth it.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Has anybody bought without doing a PPI?

WHY? :confused

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I'll rephrase; there are a couple dealers with with reputations of selling good cars and standing behind them.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We welcome PPIs on any car we sell. We have yet to ever have a car that didn't pass. Not many dealers out there can say that.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I think the difference with Shelby is that he has a very competent and trusted team that can accomplish the PPI on-site and I'm certain he does this with each of his cars. You could argue that its not neutral but I think Shelby's long-standing reputation easily trumps that. Most if all other dealers don't have nearly the on-site Ford GT competency that he does - so I'd say a PPI is in order with any other dealer.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Shelby's service team had done some great work on my GT many times.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
If the person selling the vehicle has a good reputation, why waist the money on a PPI. I would be insulted if I was selling a vehicle, because I have built a good reputation over many years and why would I risk ruining that?
When I have purchased vehicles in the past I have always gotten an inspection but I know some great guys out there that their reputation is everything and will do anything and everything to keep it that way, after all its their lively hood.

Last edited:

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
I'll rephrase; there are a couple dealers with with reputations of selling good cars and standing behind them.

That's what i figure. If the person selling the vehicle has a good reputation, why waist the money on a PPI. I would be insulted if I was selling a vehicle because I have built a good reputation over many years and why would I risk ruining that?

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
To purchase a car at this kind of value without a PPI is taking a "giant leap of faith", in MHO.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
A PPI is a pretty small price/"insurance" to pay considering the value of your investment...

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
That's what i figure. If the person selling the vehicle has a good reputation, why waist the money on a PPI. I would be insulted if I was selling a vehicle because I have built a good reputation over many years and why would I risk ruining that?

It shouldn't be deemed to be insulting or questioning any dealers reputation to do a PPI in any way. Just smart prudent business.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
"Trust but verify"

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

We've FAILED cars on PPI reviews from "reputable" dealers on more than one occasion. The typical answer is, "well, I am an honest business man but not a mechanical expert on the GT and I was told by the person that I purchased car from that.... and the carfax says, ...."

If a reputable dealer says that he is an EXPERT in Ford GTs and/or has EXPERT staff on hand and they say that they have done an inspection and the car has passed with flying colors, then that's one thing. You are trusting a man's word. But if a seller (non-expert) says, "yeah, this car LOOKS real good and the guy I bought it from seemed real honest, blah, blah blah...."

Caveat emptor.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
We've FAILED cars on PPI reviews from "reputable" dealers on more than one occasion. The typical answer is, "well, I am an honest business man but not a mechanical expert on the GT and I was told by the person that I purchased car from that.... and the carfax says, ...."

If a reputable dealer says that he is an EXPERT in Ford GTs and/or has EXPERT staff on hand and they say that they have done an inspection and the car has passed with flying colors, then that's one thing. You are trusting a man's word. But if a seller (non-expert) says, "yeah, this car LOOKS real good and the guy I bought it from seemed real honest, blah, blah blah...."

Caveat emptor.

:agree:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We have worked extremely hard to have the highest standard reputation possible in selling Ford GTs and other exotics. Having said that, I am not insulted when someone requests a PPI. I completely understand. Some people need the extra reassurance and I respect that, but now we have come to another question when talking about PPIs. In my opinion, there are only a few people in the country worthy of doing a valuable inspection on a Ford GT. We have had customers send out people to do PPIs that were a complete waste of time and money for all involved. These inspectors knew nothing about Ford GTs or what problematic areas to concentrate on. The inspectors simply walked around the car, took a handful of pictures and made sure the car wasn't obviously trashed. Past that, they did no "real inspection". If you want a real inspection that would compare with what we already do on all our cars with our in-house techs, you would need to hire someone like Kendall or his son or another outfit like the GT Guys. These are people that KNOW what they are looking at.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Marv has sold more than a few GT's. Anyone that had a complaint had it addressed directly by him. You've found a good dealer, but do the PPI. Kendal is close enough.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Thanks everyone. I agree when we are talking about a big buck item we need to do everything to make sure we are buying a correct vehicle, after all this is the second largest purchase besides our home.