I was here a long time ago...

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Looks I might have to adjust my sights a little lower and will consider a prior accident car.

It's a good idea to widen the scope. One of the stories with my car was a prior owner in 2009 bumped a side of a curb or something sticking up out of the ground. The CarFax lists it as "Damage" (same description used is if someone keyed it) not "Accident". The bumper was replaced, but the exchangers were left alone and 11 years later that is what my mechanic and I used to ascertain that the damage was quite minor. Even though everything still worked, replaced it all anyway just as insurance for Texas Summers.

So sometimes a good buy needs some detective work....

15867846285165371554864250459584.jpg

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Exactly, I wouldn't mind having, as far as accidents reports are.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You and 2112 related? lol

No, but my goal is to become his neighbor. 😎

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Remember, some accident cars don’t have any records of such incident.

A car which honestly represents it’s history may be better than one hiding it’s history.

just food for thought.

Reactions: Shark01

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Remember, some accident cars don’t have any records of such incident.

A car which honestly represents it’s history may be better than one hiding it’s history.

just food for thought.

In either case the only way to tell is with a competent ppi or buying from a known good source.

Reactions: 2112

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
And now, we sit and wait.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Exactly what I wouldn't mind having as far as accidents reports are.

And it's not even considered an accident....

I posted a wanted thread in the new member area and would update it a couple of times a week with cars I had looked at, ordeals that fell through. Several owners pitched their cars to me, including the one I bought.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Not really a friend as he was willing to show me his and that was about it. Would love to drive up to see some FGTs together in one spot.
How come I haven't seen any of you guys at Car d'alene?

We were both at Car d'alene this year with our wives. We didn't bring our GTs though as we both have some older stuff more appropriate for that more classic car get together.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It depends. Whatever you look at, make sure you know the history. Obviously some accidents are worse than others. If it involves a straight parts replacement and repaint, particularly by a shop like The GT Guy, there’s no reason to rule it out, and the condition may be better than one that has similar miles and not repainted.

Salvage titles present much more concern, starting with how to insure them. Insurance companies will be much more picky about the exclusions in the policy for a salvage title car, and many will not cover them at all. So make sure you have a discussion with your preferred insurance company first. Then, realize that a minor accident can “total” a FGT, given the cost to repair or replace multiple panels. The back clamshell, for example, costs about $20,000. So it’s often cheaper for an insurance company to pay off the owner and sell the car at auction, than to properly repair it. A car like that can be a good deal, as long as you can get the insurance coverage you want.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Left message with the GTGUY and I think he is quite a busy chap, so when I do connect with him I will relay what most everyone here, who have been so nice, have told me what direction to head and I have taken it to heart.
This may take sometime and I hope everyone will keep me in mind when and if they hear of a vehicle with a repairable damage/accident and without a salvage title that works with my budget.
I hope I am not dreaming too much.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 69b302

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Rich (GTGUY) is definitely a very knowledgeable person with regard to GT's and fixing story cars.
And you should certainly take Floridaho Chris up on his invitation.
Best of luck.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
9k-mile, 6-owner, 4-option, '05 red / white stripe just came up on BaT about 9 pm Eastern and was bid to $250k by 9:10, but I thought maaaaybe you had a possible candidate https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ford-gt-53/

But while I was typing this in one window, in the other window I heard their beep sound and it was bid to $265K.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
9k-mile, 6-owner, 4-option, '05 red / white stripe just came up on BaT about 9 pm Eastern and was bid to $250k by 9:10, but I thought maaaaybe you had a possible candidate https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ford-gt-53/

But while I was typing this in one window, in the other window I heard their beep sound and it was bid to $265K.

Based on recent price trends, I see no reason why that GT won’t end up bringing at least $325-350k. Would’ve been a $250-275k car a couple of years ago.

Reactions: extrap

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Hell, just a few months ago! Prices have gone nuts on just about any special interest car.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake

I get notices from BAT whenever one comes up, same with dupont registry. In the past I wouldn't want to open any of them knowing that I couldn't buy anything until I had cash in hand.
When I saw the mileage I knew this is going to blow past my budget big time.

Last edited:

tgilbert

GT Owner
Feb 25, 2012
Tampa
I was lucky, I found Dan Schoneck, B.M.F. on the GT Forum and he built me a flawless Heritage. Having owned a Heritage previously, I can absolutely assure you the car Dan built is 100% as good as the factory Heritage! Additionally he manufactured a carbon fiber clamshell and CF front hood on my car. I would not trade my car for any other Heritage out there!

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
I was lucky, I found Dan Schoneck, B.M.F. on the GT Forum and he built me a flawless Heritage. Having owned a Heritage previously, I can absolutely assure you the car Dan built is 100% as good as the factory Heritage! Additionally he manufactured a carbon fiber clamshell and CF front hood on my car. I would not trade my car for any other Heritage out there!
Nice, must of costed a pretty penny.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hell, just a few months ago! Prices have gone nuts on just about any special interest car.

Yes they have, but it has been much longer than a few months ago when you could typically get a GT such as that one for $250k... but your point is well-taken.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

And on commodities, household goods, real estate, etc etc

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Yes they have, but it has been much longer than a few months ago when you could typically get a GT such as that one for $250k... but your point is well-taken.

Agreed, in mid-late 2019 a car like this would have been $250k, and they started going up immediately after the spactacular results at BJ Scottsdale in late January 2020 (11 cars, each one over $300k...and some of them were in less than first class condition).

Watching that auction, I really thought the market had moved past me and I started specing out Huracan EVOs.

Reactions: DakotaGT