I thought I lost my JOB!!!

Yogi

Photographer
Aug 28, 2006
Green Bay, WI
So, my boss says, "Yogi, the GT needs gas, take care of it." Usually this is one of my favorite things to hear. All I heard was "Yogi, drive the GT" I get out of the parking lot, drive about 1/2 a block and I hear a loud squeel. Get to a stop sign and the squeel goes away. First gear, nothing wrong, shift into second release the clutch and NOTHING. Roll to a stop down the block. Clean out my underwear and look under the hood. The passenger side half shaft is definitely not looking healthy. After taking a deep breath, I grab the phone and call Mark. Now here is where the story could have gone really bad. If I had a crappy boss I probably would have lost my job. Luckily Mark has a heart of gold and a brain to match. I bable something about the problem to him, rather incoherently, in the calmest voice you could imagine Mark comes back at me with "Don't worry, we'll be there in a moment to get you". This morning our tech said that it was the Half Shaft issue. Sounds like it will be covered under warranty. I am so lucky to have a boss that is understanding and compasionate. The coolest thing about Genaddi Design Group is that everyone thinks they have the greatest job in the company. They are all wrong, I have the greatest job!!! Just wanted to share this with you all!

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I promise Yogi not to tell Mark about the giant burnouts, your secret is safe with me and the internet :lol :banana :lol

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Yogi:

Glad it all turned out well. Friggen half-shaft issue; it's always in the back of my mind. Wish Ford would just take the initiative to launch a recall, or fly under the radar with a "wink and a nod" service bulletin. Does anyone know the part numbers? I'll do the job myself.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
PLEASE WHAT WAS THE VIN AND YEAR OF THE CAR, THIS IS GETTING TO BE REDICULIOUS......GTJOEY 1314 :thumbsup

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Am I the only one that had to highlight the words to read the lower half? :confused

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Half Shaft Surprise

YODI - that's quite a shocker. I know the feeling - been there done that. Jeff

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
A few weeks ago to monitor the halfshaft gap to the housing, my mechanic made up two gauges out of aluminum that fit the gaps tightly (one for the left, one for the right hand side). Checking with the gauges I noticed the right hand side gap was increasing slightly. (you other owners may want to get your own gauges fabbed - only takes a few minutes)

As a result, I just had my bolts all replaced yesterday. The tech drilled the new ones and safety-wired them too. As it turns out, the car did have the black hardened washers on the connecting bolts. But better to be safe and not have to worry about it. It was all free because the tech is the head mechanic and he had read this forum so he agreed to do it as a safety issue. BTW, my car is an '06 serial number 0724.

Many Thanks to this forum, :thumbsup and all the guys who pm'ed me about this. Without you I never would have known. :bow

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Great red, was yours a 06 , i just got pm d that yogis was. gtjoey :thumbsup

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Yes. 2006 early production. I got the car delivered in April but it had to be converted to canadian DOT specs, so it was built a couple of months earlier (in the batch that had the extra horsepower motors reserved for red cars). :thumbsup

BTW, my techician found a few things were loose on the car on his inspection. He found one wheel was loose; he found some screws on a brake caliper were loose; and also he found the left rear axle bearing nut was also very loose!! So boys & girls - get all those parts inspected and re-torqued after you've put a few miles on them. Ford has apparently sent bulletins to their dealers about it just recently.

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Red Rocket said:
Checking with the gauges I noticed the right hand side gap was increasing slightly. (you other owners may want to get your own gauges fabbed - only takes a few minutes)

As a result, I just had my bolts all replaced yesterday. The tech drilled the new ones and safety-wired them too. As it turns out, the car did have the black hardened washers on the connecting bolts. But better to be safe and not have to worry about it. It was all free because the tech is the head mechanic and he had read this forum so he agreed to do it as a safety issue.

My only question is when will FORD read this forum and do something !? And, how will I find out about it, being in non US territory with the car at current..

Time to wake up, and show some character !!

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Red Rocket said:
Yes. 2006 early production. I got the car delivered in April but it had to be converted to canadian DOT specs, so it was built a couple of months earlier (in the batch that had the extra horsepower motors reserved for red cars). :thumbsup

BTW, my techician found a few things were loose on the car on his inspection. He found one wheel was loose; he found some screws on a brake caliper were loose; and also he found the left rear axle bearing nut was also very loose!! So boys & girls - get all those parts inspected and re-torqued after you've put a few miles on them. Ford has apparently sent bulletins to their dealers about it just recently.
Anyone see the new bulletins? Any chance we can find out what else has been added to the "official" list?