I tested POSITIVE for the Covid-19 Virus.. recovering.. 71st birthday today.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Hello to all my fellow Ford GT Forum members. A group of you are aware of my situation and many are not. I wanted to give you an update that could possibly save some of you from this same malady. Take all necessary precautions and be prepared to fight.

The Story: I was tested in Detroit for Covid 19 on March 31. It was just a cough, slight sore throat and 101 degree fever. But I knew it was different. I called my doctor. He sent me to be tested. The results came back to me late on April 4th as POSITIVE. My doctors are part of the Henry Ford Medical System here in Detroit and I have been a member for 40 years. He immediately put me on Doxycycline and I was on Azithromycin.
I tried my best to recover at home. I rested, took the meds but my breathing was tight and my temperature would spike 5-6 time each day and night. On April 6 I had a particularly bad night alone at home. I spoke to my daughter Megan, a Pulmonary Critical Care Doctor and son in law Ryan a Cardiologist both in Kalamazoo Michigan. They spoke to my Doctor and I was sent to Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital Emergency 30 minutes later on April 7.

Emergency: In emergency they 'wired me up , took blood etc". Things actually looked stable. BUT the Blood Results came back as a platelet level of near zero. So this virus attacks the lungs and the blood makeup. I was immediately told I would be in the hospital for 6 days. I agreed to a Blood Platelet Transfusion and 5 sessions of IVIG pump each night for 5 nights to build up my blood.

Admitted to Henry Ford hospital room and Medicines: I was immediately put on Hydroxychloroquine twice per day and other meds too numerous to remember. I wore my mask and all the nurses and doctors entered my room in Hazmat suits. I was in a 'fog' for most of the seven days. Everything hurt but I really could not complain. I kept eating and taking water. My Temperature started to stabilize after 2 days and my blood was tested every day at 4 am and my platelet count started to recover. The count was back to normal after 6 days. I spoke to all my 'doctors ' several times per day.

On Easter Monday April 13, I was released to go home and continue to recover. Naturally I had some serious discussions with the "big guy in Heaven" on Holy Thursday and Good Friday.

Summary : I really do not know how I got it. I took all the precautions but maybe one trip to the grocery without my mask did it. I will never know. But Please do YOUR BEST for you and your family to make sure you do not get this Virus. Be watchful if you do feel bad at how Quickly it can turn from bad to worse. Be aware that it affects systems of the body like Blood... and not just the lungs.

GT FORUM.. I logged onto the Ford GT Forum at least 5 times per day while in the hospital. Listening to you guys talk about important (but in reality insignificant) topics like paint protection, Fox Mustang History, delivery dates etc brought 'normalcy' to an otherwise 'NOT NORMAL' time. For that I THANK ALL OF YOU.

Andy (ajb)

Last edited by a moderator:

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Glad to hear you are doing better Andy.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Andy, So thankful you are OK now. My entire family was praying for you as soon as you told me about your condition. Stay safe everyone.

And a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I’m so relieved to hear of your recovery. Covid is nasty. Lots of asymptomatic “carriers” out there. As you unfortunately experienced, it does affect blood clotting factors and platelet counts. Lots of clotting problems with heart muscle, kidneys etc.
Rest up, lay low, and recover your health and energy.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Wishing you a full recovery!
Best,
Mark

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I am so glad to hear you are improving.

Asymptomatic carriers are a big source of spread, so it could have been that. It is also literally one of the most contagious viruses out there too.

Covid 19 is very scary and IMHO way too many folks think it is nonsense or minor and that closures are an over reaction. I have seen some bad stuff in the hospitals around here. It is currently the #1 cause of mortality in the US.

Please all be careful, take this seriously, and stay safe. Driving is the perfect respite for social distancing.

Last edited:

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
So glad to hear you have recovered from that nasty virus. Thanks for summarizing that this virus can not be taken lightly.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Thank you for the write up Andy. Glad that you are doing better. Have you recovered completely yet?

Glad to hear you're better. And thanks very much for the heads up about the virus, it is no joke and the closures are necessary, notwithstanding the folks who think it's "just the flu".

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Glad to see you have recovered!
Nasty and unpredictable virus. Friend of mine internest running teaching service at the epicenter in queens NY. Incredible horror studies. Obesity, age and diabetes big risk factors, but can have young healthy patients with severe disease ( severe immune response).
Take this virus seriously ! Take distance and hope we have good antiviral treatment soon until vaccine available!!

1997spider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 11, 2018
Washington D.C.
Andy, thank you for sharing your story! Thank God you are on the mend. Stay safe and health my friends!

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Wow, Andy! Thank you for sharing this with all of us in real time as many of us see and people saying “ Oh, it’s just like a bad flu case and nothing else, it will go away soon”! This is a silent curse that can sneak up on you without you ever knowing from where! Sue and I are so happy you are on the mend and we are praying for you Andy! Our posts are very trivial compared to this post! God Bless You and your family and get COMPLETELY well soon with all Forum members prayers! Tomy & Sue

Reactions: JWZ

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
So glad you are feeling better.

DanM

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 31, 2006
Stillwater, MN
Andy. Glad you are recovering and feeling better. You might have met my brother Tom either at the Detroit Rally or Le Mans 2016. He is currently the CMO of the Henry Ford Wyandotte hospital. He has shared some amazing stories over these past few weeks and that this virus is very serious.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thanks for posting your story!
Maybe the naysayers will now get it!
Wishing you a Continued speedy recovery

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Damn, just this morning I was thinking no one I knew on my many car forums had any issues . Now this. Glad you are better. Thanks

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Glad you beat that sucker Andy. Take it easy for a bit.

CampoLady

GT Owner
May 25, 2018
One tough SOB, they can never get us.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Andy, we are so happy and grateful for your recovery.
Love,
T&M

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!