I hate this... give me my wuss badge!

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
Paid MSRP outa Canada for my '06. So OK, new blower, injectors, shocks, lowered, radiator, tranny cooler, 3.90's, air pak, Bridgies, other stuff drove the cost up more than a little,... but.... still, get this puppy out on the track and let's have some fun!! Off into the weeds and I can afford a new splitter. If you push the envelope you will be off the paved part on occasion.
NOW, I'm having to reconsider... even through our good friend Shelby, your starting point for a replacement stock copy of the greatest road course car ever built is gonna set you back a cool $240,000!! What am I doing sliding a piece of history through corners where the occasional concrete abutment (Road Atlanta and many others) awaits those of us who will never have Roketman's or Specracer's skills.
SO, how many of us are reduced to doing parade laps at 50mph with our newly redesignated garage queen, rather than living on the ragged edge and praying for the best when on the track?
Solution---See my thread about getting a used C6 Z as a track car and not having to worry about kissing some concrete at 100mph.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Increasing values definitely a double edged sword. Frankly, I am just fine if all that cools off.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yep. Mine will probably not see the track again

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Do whatever it takes to enjoy your own car. It's all in your own perspective on what it takes to enjoy the car. I see cars much more valuable than ours raced at these historic races and some get damaged and waded up.. I understand where you are coming from but I plan to still have some fun with mine.... Some tracks are a little safer than others..

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Do whatever it takes to enjoy your own car. It's all in your own perspective on what it takes to enjoy the car. I see cars much more valuable than ours raced at these historic races and some get damaged and waded up.. I understand where you are coming from but I plan to still have some fun with mine.... Some tracks are a little safer than others..

Those with more than one GT are not allowed to reply!;)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Those with more than one GT are not allowed to reply!;)

Yep, I don't think Stormcat drives his other one any more than EP did his.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Before my first GT track experience at Spring Mountain I was also a little concerned but after that trip I am hooked. Granted being a beginner I an not pushing the car but at a track like S.M. it would be hard to really hurt you car badly especially the way Ron marshaled our rally. I would not take the risk of going to an open track event with people I don't know but within our group I will have no reservations in the future.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Been off track in mine... she is built Ford tuff, no worries. If you like the track, then track what you like. GT is not the ultimate track car by far, she is long and heavy, no stability or traction control nannies (for novices like me) but good God it's fun to be at the front of that locomotive when it comes out of a turn onto a big straight!

Drive like you stole it.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Here ya go, this should make you plenty nervous. Didn't do much damage... Lots of grass, shoulda charged the track extra. The car traveled 100 yards thru the grass sideways. The thick grass is what saved me, it basically made the car float across the ground. No alignment issues, no scratched paint (wrap on car) just one broken rear venturi.

All the action starts about 3 minutes in.

[video=youtube;5n9DQqWYzPs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n9DQqWYzPs[/video]

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Tracked mine many many times and have gone mowing grass on several occasions (tugboat posted a video of my last off-road excursion). However, I must say that when I was at COTA last February with MVP, I did start thinking of the consequences of stuffing a GT these days, and started backing off a little. In my view this dilutes the whole point of tracking, which is to have fun at the limits, so I reckon my GT's track days are over....

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Holy meadows Batman, nice controlling her, never seen a GT drive on the prairies before, you're a brave man Fubar.

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Here ya go, this should make you plenty nervous. Didn't do much damage... Lots of grass, shoulda charged the track extra. The car traveled 100 yards thru the grass sideways. The thick grass is what saved me, it basically made the car float across the ground. No alignment issues, no scratched paint (wrap on car) just one broken rear venturi.

All the action starts about 3 minutes in.

[video=youtube;5n9DQqWYzPs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n9DQqWYzPs[/video]

Mark,
That is exactly the spot my buddy took us off course in a '96 TT 911 I had then. That kink at Motorsports Ranch is tricky, and as the passenger, I knew we were carrying way to much speed over that hill. Got a good laugh out of that video. I did get a flat tire out of the deal.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
wow everytime you went over that same hill and curve I'd get nervouse and now I see why. definitely looks you caught some air. I used to run a course like that at Milford Proving Grounds for GM but never had to worry about hurting my owm car. it was fun to get paid to raise hell with someone else's car.
thanks for sharing.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Temporary Man-Car issued until you can present C6Z or ZR1 pink slip, for Kave-Man status.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
wow everytime you went over that same hill and curve I'd get nervouse and now I see why. definitely looks you caught some air. I used to run a course like that at Milford Proving Grounds for GM but never had to worry about hurting my owm car. it was fun to get paid to raise hell with someone else's car.
thanks for sharing.

Turn 4 (I think) at Grattan is similar to this but at lesser speeds. Tough to turn or brake a car when all 4 tires are off the ground :lol.

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
Exactamente, regarding knowing the level of expertise of who you're running with---I feel very safe running with the FGTforum guys at our Nats every fall. We've all gotten to know each other and we all know how many $$ each of us has at risk, and you just don't see stupid behavior at our soirees (at least on the track). But otherwise, at open days with unknown drivers in tricked out M3's and other furrin cars where 1 fender has already been re-painted... well.........
FGT Nats---yes.............Other track days---less enthused.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
you just don't see stupid behavior at our soirees (at least on the track).

I use to feel this way too, until Vegas.

I believe I may even have video of a couple cars passing me in the turns. We seem to have a few big egos that feel they don't have to follow the rules.

Probably the last time I'll be tracking mine with this group.

Last edited:

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
When I went to Stigs Day Out with the GT group at Spring Mountain a few years back. I seem to recall the track entry was on the outside of a sharp corner, and from the car you couldn't really see what was happening. But with the Marshal waving you out, should have been safe. They did wave me out right into the path of another GT. If that guy hadn't backed off, no way he could have cut corner closer. I also remember something over heating, the clutch maybe? The other thing about track days is guys want to beat the halo car on track and if you brake faster, or they over heat their brakes, they will hit you. Driving carefully is not a guarantee of safety.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Not into tracking or racing my car anyway - just car shows, cruz ins and the local (Seattle area) cars and coffee.

Last edited:

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
There is never a guarantee of safety... which is of course why we do it!