I had the Borla Installed, Noticable Performance Increase.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Noticable sound increase as well.
Nice to have something that is heard as well as seen :biggrin

The Borla is not super loud, like those damn Harley's, but it is certainly more impressive than the stock exhaust.

It is louder inside, and at 70 mph the constant hum gets tiresome.

After the Borla install there is noticalbly more pickup

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
Now we just gotta work on you changing the color of the pipes on the exhaust :wink

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
SuperB said:
After the Borla install there is noticalbly more pickup

I just got my car on monday with the borla and I have to admit, it does feel faster. Have you run it above 5k rpms? The sound is scary!

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Well- I guess it's official my gt must be the slowest in South Fl!

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
1418 said:
Well- I guess it's official my gt must be the slowest in South Fl!

Yep. :lol

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
What is the price on the Borla exhaust? And is the sound bearable at highway cruising speed? I had a Tubi on my Murcielago, and on the highway the exhaust noise gave me a headache. I had to keep altering the revs to keep my head from pounding.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
After driving the car for a day or so, I think its too quiet. It sounds stock until you get on it, then it sounds GREAT. Perfect system in my oppinion. Costs around $3k installed.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I think it's just fine. If you want to get on it, great to be heard. if you want to cruise cool, it let's you do that. never managed to cruise cool in the Stradale (as I have the valves opened permanently). And putting a Tubi on a Murcielago, i can imagineTHAT one, buddy... :rofl

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Depends on your tolerance for such noise.
Cruising around 80 the noise level is less than a corvette convertable and a low pitch so a conversation is possible without yelling. However, that low pitch starts to wear me out after 30 minutes. I don't plan on driving extended highway miles, only to and from the dealer so it's not too bad.

I think this is as loud or louder than Tubi, but not inside the car.
Standing behind the car, even 30 feet away, while someone steps on it and it's really really loud. Inside driving, it sounds great, not too loud, but you know those on the outside hear it.

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Brian,
sorry. Never had the pleasure to stand behind a GT with a Borla mounted (like mine) 30 feet behind when it was driven. Infact, never even stood behind any GT that was taking of or driving by. Isn't that bizarre ? What an event the Rallye will be, I can only now start to imagine...I better get my plans sorted, to be able to attend for sure! :wink

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
SuperB said:
However, that low pitch starts to wear me out after 30 minutes.

That makes me hesitate a bit. In the Murci outfitted with Tubi, there was a low-pitch "drone" sound at 70-80mph. And it literally gave me a headache. I think maybe I will wait to get a ride in one of the cars that has the Borla installed before I make my decision.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Resonance is a virtually unavoidable effect of any performance exhaust. You just have to make sure you get one with the least intrusive amount. I've been in cars that drone at teeth-shattering levels in the wrong RPM range...

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
DBK said:
Resonance is a virtually unavoidable effect of any performance exhaust. You just have to make sure you get one with the least intrusive amount. I've been in cars that drone at teeth-shattering levels in the wrong RPM range...

i used to have a borla XR-1 exhaust system on a 98' vette i used to own and the resonance from the drone at 2,000-2,500 rpm's was horrible.

fortunately it doesn't have to be this way. all my ridez have performance exhaust sytems now and none of them drone. its all in the design. the high performance, straight thru, resonator designed, corsa exhaust system that i have on my viper flows like a river and is loud too but there is absolutely no drone whatsoever.

Last edited:

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Good Idea Clax.

SLF360, it was my wife goosin' it, not driving it. Man it's loud, put those damn Harleys to shame. Only that loud when you really give it the gas though. Get your act together for the Rally, should be a great time.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was disappointed that it wasn't louder. For the price, I was expecting more. As for drone, the Borla on my E46 M3 is more annoying at cruising speeds than the GT but it still doesn't bother me... but then I like the sound of those "damn" Harleys. :rofl

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm going for both the Borla and the delete cat headers...
NOW that should take care of those damn Harleys ;-)

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
one of 101 said:
I'm going for both the Borla and the delete cat headers...
NOW that should take care of those damn Harleys ;-)
Just like me.... Good call, hopefully ! :biggrin

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I'm anxious to hear a delete cats.

redwhitestripes

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
DUBAI UAE
When you delete the cats,dont you need to do something with the lambdas?I have a friend of mine who deleted the cats on his SRT-10 and he had to connect a small electonic devise to switch off a fault light inside the car.How is it on the GT?

Eric

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
redwhitestripes said:
When you delete the cats,dont you need to do something with the lambdas?I have a friend of mine who deleted the cats on his SRT-10 and he had to connect a small electonic devise to switch off a fault light inside the car.How is it on the GT?

Eric

when you delete your cats you have to have o2 sims.