How to remove Std wheel???

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Ok, I'll admit maybe I am missing something here and need the Forum's technical help!!!
I am one of the lucky GT's with Standard wheels. I want to assure proper torque on my lug nuts per many recommendations on the Forum prior to heading off to Detroit, but I cannot figure out how to remove the GT plastic "hub cap" covering the lug nuts!!!
Now I have looked thoroughly through the Owners Guide and Quick Reference Guide shipped with my car and see no reference as to how to remove these covers. I have gently pushed in on the plastic dome with the GT logo on it and tried rotating it CCW. Got about 30 degrees rotation but nothing loosened. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? Stopped by Ford dealer and they could not figure it out either......
And another thing, many posts here on the Forum specify the lug torque is to be 111 ft lbs. Yet Owners guide page 118 says 1/2 x 20 wheel lugs torque to 100 ft lbs. If the Ford guide says 100 ft lbs why do others "think" the torque should be increased to 111 ft lbs?
Bill

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I had the same problem a year ago trying to get my std wheels off. You have to push hard on the inner hub cap, and then twist REAL HARD counter clockwise. I could not twist hard enough with my bare hands (they kept slipping) so I put on some rubber gloves for a better grip. I eventually got them off. They do go on a bit easier.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The 111 torque comes from the Techical Service Manual. Hope you get your covers off.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Florida Chirs- Thanks very much for the instructions. I was reluctant to use any more than gentle force at first. Followed your advice and removed and checked all lug torques. Found 3 that were 85+ on the driver rear. All are at 111 now and ready to head north. Thanks again for the guidance and see you in a few days!!!

Bill

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Glad to help. See you in Detroit!