How to Get a GT??

Gburg

Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
Until about ten days ago, I did not know the Ford GT. Love the body design and its performance figures. Love the interior. Going to the Ford homepage, I can not find out how to order a Ford GT. On the websites of local dealers, the GT can not be selected, even though graphics of the GT are exhibited, in some cases. It is not on dealer inventories. How can I buy a Ford GT?

This is the ONLY Ford that I am interested in placing in my garage. The
Ford GT40 kit car is not for me. Need a turn-key car. Not interested in the
new Shelby Cobra Mustang (450+ h.p.) :lol . I do not want a Mustang, I want the GT. IF I can not get the GT, I will go for a Z06 Corvette or a Dodge Viper. :thumbsup

Gburg

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I agree. They are all over Autotrader and eBay. You should not need to pay over MSRP, and may luck out and get it for less.

It is worth the search. Nothing compares.

Gburg

Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
Except briefly with a Lincoln LS, I have not been a Ford guy. Mostly GM and MOPAR. I want a car above what the Mustang can deliver, in performance and design. Because of this, I just have not been interested in blue oval products. At the time of the 1, 2, 3 win at La Mans in 1966 I was a young skull full of mush. Because of these factors, I have not been reading about the Ford GT. This is why, until very recently I have not been aware of the Ford GT. When I saw photos of the GT and read about its performance... I became very interested. :thumbsup [ Did everyone see the Science Channel program last week about the development of the new Ford GT?!?!? :biggrin ] I thought it very odd, that from the Ford website, I could not read about the GT or "build my own GT." When I saw the Ford models to choose from, I said none of the above. The GT was not even a choice. What is the point of having pics of the GT on your website, without info on how to order one?

Centerpunch and AZGT, thanks for the tips on finding a GT. A word search gave me some Ohio Ford dealers that have or had a GT. I do not want a used GT with heavy wear and tear on the engine and transmission. I will not pay a big premimum price over the original sticker price. That is foolish. :wink I will not play that game. There is always another dealer and other vehicles available. I can wait until the price returns to the original sticker price, as a starting point of discussion.

Gburg

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
Don't bother with a Viper or a Z06, if you are at all serious about buying the Ford GT. Viper Guys and Z06 guys aspire to own a Ford GT, so you would be starting at the bottom of the pile if you bought one of the other cars. I have bought 2 brand new vipers in the last 3 years, I am now interested in purchasing a Ford GT. I know the vipers VERY well, the Ford GT is the better beast.

Jon

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
I Think vipers are just a diffrent addiction!

Have had lots of vets,and 4 vipers,still have two,lots of mods.Just got 06 GT
Havent herd it run never mine a drive! But it sure looks sweet,I just think the GT is in a diffent class.Cant wait to be able to conpare the two.

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
As a new GT owner and current Viper owner, I would say that these GT's are just kick ass.

There is only one reason someone would rather have a Viper: the need for more than 1000 rwhp.

Last edited:

Gburg

Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
Ford Dealer Service??

It bothers me to read that Ford dealers do not know how to service the GT.
How can this happen?!?!? :confused Hunt around for someone to service the GT. :bs Don't think so. No garage toy for me. If that is the case the local Quick Lube would be no help.

Gburg

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Gburg - from Gettysburg - PA? if so....get in touch with me, take a look at mine, i'll answer all your questions.

Gburg

Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
How to Grt a Ford GT

FrankBarba said:
Gburg - from Gettysburg - PA? if so....get in touch with me, take a look at mine, i'll answer all your questions.

Yes, Gettysburg PA. My favorite travel desination. How to access your GT's pics? Saw nothing in the owner gallery. Could not find pics from your posting.

Why can't I order a GT from Ford's website, like other models? What is the scoop on dealer maintainance? If I get a GT, my dealer must be able to change the oil and other maintainance. Any Ford dealer should be able to do GT maintainance.

Too bad Ford will not continue GT production, along with the new Shelby
Mustang (450+ H.P.). I have no interest in the Shelby Mustang, however.
Love the design and performance of the GT far more. GT or no Fords at all.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
CHAD said:
There is only one reason someone would rather have a Viper: the need for more than 1000 rwhp.

you might want to check on what people are doing with the Mod these days. 1000 rwhp is only a turbo away. Hell, turbo 03 cobras are doing 1000 rwhp with the 4.6, weaker non dry-sump block and inferior heads ......but really, how many people are going to mod a GT to that extent? Now, those 1500+ rwhp turbo vipers like yours are a different story.

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Agreed. It just seemed like a simple spot to draw a line. :wink

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
CHAD said:
Agreed. It just seemed like a simple spot to draw a line. :wink

Your signature says black / silver / red. What's red? :confused

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
centerpunch said:
Probably calipers...

Ah yes, how could I have forgotten that.

Just as a curiousity, do you if the actual paint (aside from color) and quality is the same for the black, gray, and red? Just wondering why if they come painted black, there is a $750 charge for the other colors (aside from being "option" money).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Because they can! Every option on the GT is way over price.
I different color for 750, stripe for 5000 and radio for 4500. I think Ford priced the base car low to get better press coverage compared to other supercars. They when they sell them, almost all are equiped with every overpriced options to make the profit larger, or should I say, lessen the lost per car. I am sure Ford is losing money on every car sold it you don't try to count the uplift in dealer floor traffic and company image.

Marketing at its best.

BlackICE

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Gburg>>> I have no pictures in the media gallery this is why you will not find them there. I am only 1/2 away from you location. You are more than welcome to come over & i will answer all the questions that i can. As far as minor service requests....you can drive your GT on my lift & i will help change your oil for you, and anything else you need done.

I have a line on a midnight blue loaded dealer just rec'd. needs to sell.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
FrankBarba said:
Gburg>>> I have no pictures in the media gallery this is why you will not find them there. I am only 1/2 away from you location. You are more than welcome to come over & i will answer all the questions that i can. As far as minor service requests....you can drive your GT on my lift & i will help change your oil for you, and anything else you need done.

I have a line on a midnight blue loaded dealer just rec'd. needs to sell.

Kick down some info. Fred... geeze.. already forgetting your Viper friends... :) I'd settle for a blue, if it was a good "need to sell" price.

Also, from the post above, I highly doubt that ford loses money on the build and sale of these cars, thats some urban legand. There is plenty of money to be made on these cars, no out of box technology that they already didnt have on their other SVT vechicles.

Gburg

Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
BlackICE said:
Because they can! Every option on the GT is way over price.
I different color for 750, stripe for 5000 and radio for 4500. I think Ford priced the base car low to get better press coverage compared to other supercars. They when they sell them, almost all are equiped with every overpriced options to make the profit larger, or should I say, lessen the lost per car. I am sure Ford is losing money on every car sold it you don't try to count the uplift in dealer floor traffic and company image.

Marketing at its best.

BlackICE

I regret that Ford only made the GT for two years. :frown Why go through all of that development cost for a short run car? For a throw away car like a Pinto, OK. The GT, not understandable. Mustangs from the design viewpoint are a little long in the tooth. Perhaps that will increase the investment value of GTs, in the future. Too bad Ford places all of their performance car eggs in the Mustang basket. They could create a tradition, with the GT, that would give Z06, Viper, Ferrari, Porche owners nightmares for years. The GT only a commerative edition car? :confused That is a lot of :bs

Gburg

Pipelion

Gburg,

I see both sides of the issue. As a highly likely future owner, the fewer cars made the higher the value, the better for appreciation.

But I have to agree with you, how great it would be to watch the GT evolve like the Vette or 911 over many decades to come. Ford may have priced the car too high to see enough annually to make ample sales(to do this). $160+ thousand is a very expensive car to start with. Ferrari only sells 4000 cars annually(all models combined). Porsche sells 60=70,000. because they
start with the entry level Boxter, and have many price options.

The original Mustang was an entry level "almost" sports car. It has nothing really in common, (even now at $60K) with the Ford GT other than Selby's past race imput on both,. Which doesn't mate the two vehicles.

Ford thankfully made this car. We all need to be thankful for that.

The rest is history,

Allan

Gburg

Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
Pipelion said:
Gburg,

The original Mustang was an entry level "almost" sports car. It has nothing really in common, (even now at $60K) with the Ford GT other than Selby's past race imput on both,. Which doesn't mate the two vehicles.

Ford thankfully made this car. We all need to be thankful for that.

The rest is history,

Allan

Allan,

Thankfull indeed. The 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra Mustang will have 475 h.p.
The hottest Mustang for sometime but, no match for GT performance (550 h.p.), handling and design.

Gburg