How to change axle bolts

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I am changing my bolts for the drive to CA (putting in the Accufab - wish instructions were better and included "tools needed", etc).

Thought I would ask this for those of you that have done the replacement (not had them replaced).

I put the car up and dropped the belly pan and the semicircular "cup" under the axle figuring I would have easy access. Not as clear as I thought it would be. Also looked from the top (some access) as well as wonder about taking the wheel off and coming straight in.

Which is the easiest way to get at the bolts? Just trying to make it as painless and quick as possible.

Also, what is the Torex size for the factory six flange bolts and the two axle bolts (I assume they are also Torex). Looks like the Accufab replacements require a 12 point 8mm and 12mm socket (?).

Thanks

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi AZ,

Best way to do this job is from the top side leaning on the tire which remains installed on the car. No need to remove the pan or small heat shield.

It will help a lot if the rear wheels are in the air so you can rotate the flange so that the bolt you are working on is always at the top.

The factory outer flange bolts are Torx T-47. The inner (suspect) Allen bolts are 6mm. I would recommend you purchase 3/8 sockets for each.

When you re-assemble a the flange, you will need to number each of the bolts. I do this by wrapping a piece of painters tape around the flange so I can remove it after I am done. Numbering the bolt positions is important because there is a 2-step torque sequence which should be followed. You will accomplish by rotating the wheel into a good position, setting the parking brake, and then torqueing that bolt. Repeat process for all 6 bolts.

The job will take about an hour per side when you have all of the right tools at hand.

If you get into any tight spots - give me a call on my cell. 818 254-6055

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Perfect.

Thanks

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
It goes alot faster if you have someone in the car setting the parking brake while you torque and rotate.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It goes alot faster if you have someone in the car setting the parking brake while you torque and rotate.

OK, Jones, you busted me. Everyone who's had work done over here knows that sitting inside and working the parking brake is MY job - while Ryan torques the bolts.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I pulled the wheels you can use a long extension to get at the bolts very easily. I also took out the air box which made it a snap to do the final torquing from the top side.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Accufab/Ford Flange/Half Shaft Bolt Changes

I am changing my bolts for the drive to CA (putting in the Accufab - wish instructions were better and included "tools needed", etc).

Thought I would ask this for those of you that have done the replacement (not had them replaced).

This was posted in a previous thread, but I'll post it again. Also, do a search on the replacement bolts to find out additional info before you start:

"When replacing the half shaft bolts, using the Accufab kit or Ford parts, be sure and carefully clean the two inside spline shaft holes with an 8MMX1.25Pitch tap before installing the two new washer/hub retention bolts. The factory used a red thread locking compound on the original bolts. If this red compound is not removed from the treads in the hole before you torque the new retention bolts, there is a very good possibility your torque application will not be to spec. In two of my bolt holes, the torque required to turn the bolts in the last quarter or so of their length was in excess of 40 ft.-lbs. This would have made torquing the bolts against the washer to the ACCUFAB spec torque of 24-27 ft.-lbs. impossible. After cleaning all four holes with a lightly oiled tap from True Value Hardware Stores (American made), and cleaning the holes with Brake/Parts cleaner spray (you should have seen the crud that flushed out), and letting dry....the new bolts, with Blue Loctite compound on the threads, turned all the way in by hand and seated on the washer surface easily. Torquing to spec clearly worked properly. It takes a little extra time, but it is worth it to be sure your bolts are in to proper specification."

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
OK, Jones, you busted me. Everyone who's had work done over here knows that sitting inside and working the parking brake is MY job - while Ryan torques the bolts.

I understand your postition in not wanting to let another sit in the driver seat.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi AZGT, you are probably finished with your replacement but if not, check the old half-shaft posts for other suggestions and methods. Tape up the heat shield egdes, they are sharp. Get the right tools. Mark the 6 bolts so it's easier to torque in the correct pattern. Check out the one TSB about the axle leak, it has some useful info. I also have many photos I could email if you like.
Good luck and have fun at the rally.
Gimbal

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Hello Gimbal,

I am also getting ready to replace the bolts on my and a friend's GT. Any pictures you feel may be useful would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Dave Legge
Hilo, HI

GTLegge@GMail.com

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Thanks everyone.

Ended up not doing them - the GT Guys were in town so I let them take care of it.

They made it look easy. Wheel off. Long extention straight to the bolts. Replaced. Safety wired (using the Accufab setup that is predrilled). Very quick and clean.

patty.dilabio

Jun 11, 2007
bolt replacement

howdy all! Just a few suggestions,and tips that may be helpful.I would suggest strongly that you put down both windows,then disconnect the battery.The bolts are fairly simple to do with the car on a hoist,and with the rear wheels removed.The trouble is with extracting broken bolts,and if you do this before they break it should be very routine.The cleaning of all threads is the best advice,not only the small bolts.As per loctite instructions,make sure that threads are clean and dry,prior to assembly.Follow accufabs instructions for assembly,and enjoy worry free driving!!
If you encounter broken bolts,let us know and we can tell you how to extract.Good luck!

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
When are those GT guys coming to Florida?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I also recommend the the approach of utilizing the GT Guys skills. They replaced mine today with AccuFab supplied bolts.

....oh, I almost forgot to mention....I had a broken half shaft bolt - one on each side. :eek

Luckily there was enough thread left on each that Rich was able to get a hold of some of what was left.

Late '06 with about 3500 miles on the clock. Dennis noticed that my ride hasn't been driven hard...yet! I feel so so...so safe! :banana

Thanks everyone.

Ended up not doing them - the GT Guys were in town so I let them take care of it.

They made it look easy. Wheel off. Long extention straight to the bolts. Replaced. Safety wired (using the Accufab setup that is predrilled). Very quick and clean.