How did i do ? 1/2 mile Airstrip run

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
So i've been doing these 1/2 mile Airstrip roll racing events for a few years, put on by the Shift Sector group in my Porsche 911 turbo ,there a really fun weekend.On Saturday i took my Porsche 911 turbo & ran a bunch of runs around 175 Mph ,on Sunday i took the Ford GT.This is just what i needed .I was able too for the first time, really open her up & do full on launches in 1st & 2nd, which i haven't even tried yet previously i've been very cautious taking off in 1st & 2nd gear ,i feel much more confident in the car now, knowing how she will handle .Not sure what the specs of the day showing the Ford GT were but the video shows all my times, took a break at lunch & let it cool down & got 2 runs at 160 mph in the 1/2 mile ,the Draggy died so this video i got is at 156 Mph .There were 4 Underground racing Twin Turbo Lambo's there that all ran above 200 & up to 211mph .No plans on gong back in the GT but was worth it to get a feel for the car ,even though i was faster in the 911 it was funner in the GT ,i couldn't believe how long the gears are ,i played around getting into 5 gear but ultimately it was best to run it ut in 4th gear.Btw i've got the Ford racing Muffler ,pulley & tune running shitty CA 91 octane gas .
IMG_0180.png

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Looks like fun regardless! Love the draggy results too, not many people have done that with a GT.

What is done to your car?

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I did one of these 1/2 mile rolling runs right after I got the GT in 2007. My buddy has his new Aventador there, and we did 2 runs against each other. Basically we were even in both runs, depending on who got on the gas earlier. I like the rolling starts, we you could get into the power easier. Here a pic from that day.

Attachments

• DSC_9957.jpg
    DSC_9957.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Twturbo

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I think you can make a much faster run in your FordGT. Listening to your video, it sounds like you are shifting way too soon like at 3000 RPM. You are not raping the engine out completely to 7000 RPM. Your GT has a rev limiter, so you cannot over rap your engine during acceleration and hurt it. If you reach the max RPM, the rev limiter will kick in and it will sound like your engine is missing. Again, this does not hurt the engine, but your best times will be shifting just before hitting the rev limiter. Sounds like you are shifting a low RPM Harley Davidson motorcycle to me and not maximizing the capability of your GT.

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
I think you can make a much faster run in your FordGT. Listening to your video, it sounds like you are shifting way too soon like at 3000 RPM. You are not raping the engine out completely to 7000 RPM. Your GT has a rev limiter, so you cannot over rap your engine during acceleration and hurt it. If you reach the max RPM, the rev limiter will kick in and it will sound like your engine is missing. Again, this does not hurt the engine, but your best times will be shifting just before hitting the rev limiter. Sounds like you are shifting a low RPM Harley Davidson motorcycle to me and not maximizing the capability of your GT.
Thanks & I was wondering if we had a rev limiter or not , I did red line a few gears but not all of them

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks & I was wondering if we had a rev limiter or not , I did red line a few gears but not all of them
yeah need to run that thing to 7000rpm in each gear! You should hear a stock engine at 7900 with headers.. Oh la la they sound good! Good Job Adam!

Reactions: 2112 and Twturbo

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
yeah need to run that thing to 7000rpm in each gear! You should hear a stock engine at 7900 with headers.. Oh la la they sound good! Good Job Adam!
As explained in the dvd thatcame with the car every gear is a working gear, ie acceleration even in 5th. The video says anyone hitting the rev limiter in 6th is in jail. I forgot who hosted the video. A race guy. It was pretty informative. I think it was posted on the forum ages ago

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cool stuff! Keep on driving Twturbo!

Ed

Reactions: Twturbo

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Nice run. Good to see some GTs being driven as intended.

Links to owners video referenced.

Introduction

Overview

Living with GT

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Beat on that car, it can take it.