Hood Corrosion

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
I just noticed bubbling on my hood. My car is a 2006 and has never been uncovered. Never been wet except for washing and never bewen outside of Tampa Fl except when being built.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Pic ?

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Doc,

I had a paint lifting/bubbling problem on the hood of my car back in 2007. I spoke to Saleen about it and in my case it was an issue with a bad batch of fiberglass hoods that caused problems on a small number of cars. I shipped my car to Saleen and they fixed it under warrantee. They actually replaced the hood and the fix was perfect. If you post some close-up pictures I’ll let you know if it looks like the same issue I had.

Rob

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have it too. One small spot. No warranty now (second owner, 2006 model). I will live with it for now, only I notice it and color matching is so hard on dark metallic paint.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I just noticed bubbling on my hood. My car is a 2006 and has never been uncovered. Never been wet except for washing and never bewen outside of Tampa Fl except when being built.

How BIG are these bubbles, Doc? Several owners have just happened to have the light strike their cars "just right" thereby revealing a few very TINY bubbles in a small group here or there. I noticed a few very small ones in one corner area on #1079 myself...but one really had to KNOW right where to look to find 'em - or had to STUMBLE upon 'em if the light was juuuuuuuust right.

If that's all you're experiencing, I wouldn't be concerned.

(Edit: BTW, depending on where these bubbles are, my bet is it's not actually corrosion. The bubbling is probably the result of the body surface not having been cleaned completely free of contaminates of some kind and those reacted with the paint, or vice-versa.)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
This was an issue with several gals as shared early on and when under warranty the bonnet were typically replaced however the issue can be resolved but requires the paint to be removed and the raw surface prepared and then repainted.

Takes care

Shadowman

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This was an issue with several gals as shared early on and when under warranty the bonnet were typically replaced however the issue can be resolved but requires the paint to be removed and the raw surface prepared and then repainted.

Takes care

Shadowman

What is known about the range of vehicles that might have been affected? Are there any particular colors, dates, range of VINs, that can help identify vehicles that might be affected?

Aug 25, 2006
What is known about the range of vehicles that might have been affected? Are there any particular colors, dates, range of VINs, that can help identify vehicles that might be affected?

First and foremost; it is not a large number of gals that were affected and it was random; meaning both 05 and 06 and color did not matter. In some case it was typical paint prep failure and in others it was a flaw in the bonnet that needed to be corrected but once again I state; it was random and very few gals were affected.

Now on the upside; after having tended to paint related issues on many of these gals "if" one uses the OEM Sherwin Williams paint and the proper code the paint mix/spray out is pert near spot on as such no fender blending is required however if you use the Sherwin William paint code and cross reference to PPG or ? this is not always the case.

Takes care

Shadowman

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
First and foremost; it is not a large number of gals that were affected and it was random; meaning both 05 and 06 and color did not matter. In some case it was typical paint prep failure and in others it was a flaw in the bonnet that needed to be corrected but once again I state; it was random and very few gals were affected.

Now on the upside; after having tended to paint related issues on many of these gals "if" one uses the OEM Sherwin Williams paint and the proper code the paint mix/spray out is pert near spot on as such no fender blending is required however if you use the Sherwin William paint code and cross reference to PPG or ? this is not always the case.

Takes care

Shadowman

Shadowman,

You are the best! I can't believe how much you know about these cars and how quickly a forum member can get a knowledgeable answer to a question. I just wish you were closer to Boston!

Rob

Aug 25, 2006
Shadowman,

You are the best! I can't believe how much you know about these cars and how quickly a forum member can get a knowledgeable answer to a question. I just wish you were closer to Boston!

Rob

Rob you are welcome and "thank you" for the kind words

BTW it is not corrosion as the boot lid is composite and not aluminum.

With regards to the span of time between us; I understand very well that this is the case for many as such I always welcome questions at any time and should you ever decide to have your gal visit Area 51 I would gladly have her picked up and migrated back and forth.

Takes care

Shadowman

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
This is probably a little more common than most of you guys realize. Out of the 300 plus GTs we have bought and sold, I would say we have had to address problems with the paint on the front bonnets on atleast 20 to 25 cars. I have seen bubbling and cracking of the paint on the front bonnets. Very frustrating, but not a huge deal and can be fixed by any GOOD body and paint person. I have seen it on all colors and years.

H

HHGT

I would get another hood and have it painted. Take your old one and ship it to Camillo, shelby etc. to sign and make garage art out of it.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
FYI, most of the cars that just have the light bubbling can actually be fixed by wetsanding and buffing. Have done it several times with perfect results. Now there is always a possibility it could come back, but so far we haven't had that issue....

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
It is along the edges of the top radiator heat exit on both sides.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Just ran across this TSB for bubbles in aluminum parts:

FORD: Crown Victoria, Taurus Ford GT Mustang Ranger Expedition Explorer This article supersedes TSB 04-25-1 to update the vehicle model years. ISSUE Some vehicles may exhibit a bubbling or blistering under the paint on aluminum body parts. This is due to iron contamination of the aluminum panel. 1. Corrosion should be removed by blasting. Use an aggressive blasting material, such as acrylic (salt grain size). 2. Use a DA sander with 180 grit paper backed abrasive. Only sand and featheredge the damaged area. 3. Mix and apply Ford approved epoxy primer, per the manufacturer’s label instructions. Bake at 140° F (60° C), or use an infra-red lamp for curing. 4. If necessary, mix and apply two-part polyester filler to a slight over crown. Allow polyester filler to cure 20-30 minutes, or mix and apply spray polyester filler two-three (2-3) coats as necessary. Allow to cure per manufacturer’s label instructions. 5. Hand-sand the repair area with 80 grit sand paper to remove excess filler. 6. Finish-sand the repair area with 400 grit sand paper. 7. Mix and apply Ford approved primer/surfacer per manufacturer’s label instructions. Bake at 140° F (60° C) or use infra-red lamp for curing.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is the hood aluminum or Composite?

Does a TSB supersede an expired warranty?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Does a TSB supersede an expired warranty?

Excellent question. Especially as I am finding lots more infants with 300 miles on them then adults with 5000. I fear or expect that the axle bolt repair may not have been done on some of these.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Hood is fiberglass.