HELP - Gurney Flap Removal - '06

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Seems like it should be an easy task, but not finding it so.

- Starting at the end point, Workshop Manual - page 501-08-6 - shows Gurney Flap attached with 5 screws. 4 are easy, but there is no access to the fifth (center) screw.

- Going back one step, manual calls for removal of "rear fascia grille" in order to gain access to that 5th screw.

- Rear fascia grille ( center grille with license plate mount in center ) is shown being attached with 8 screws - 4 across bottom; one on either side; and two on the top.

- Bottom and side screws are easy, and out, but can't see, feel, or otherwise get to the top screws. They are obviously there, as grille will pivot inward from the top, but there is a definite resistance. Where are they, and how do you get access to remove them?

- I am completely stymied!

- Don't see where taking more of the rear of the car off would help, and I certainly don't want to do that for 2 screws!

- Regarding earlier steps in the manual, they are not applicable as I have no muffler. Access to the rear fascia grille is completely open.

- Can anyone help me? ( Yes Dr. Frank, I know am an engineer, but whatever few skills are left are not cutting it on this problem.) Embarrassing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Did you call Rich at GT Guys? He is most likely source of reliable info.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Yes. I figured that was the place to start, but haven't been able to reach him. Could be me with phone problems. Frustrating.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Have to take bumper cover off car.. and remove the aluminum piece that is attached to bumper cover.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You read my mind cowboy.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ok stupid question.
Why do you want to take it off?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yeah, if it’s that much trouble, leave it be, or at least wait until you have another reason to be in there.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Upgrading to CF?

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Spoke with Rich.

He was on vacation. Good for him!

The Shop Manual method must have been written by someone who knows nothing about cars, and the design of impossible screws on top of impossible screw was done by either an incompetent or sadistic ( Do I have to say it? ) engineer.

Rich says the best way to do it is to get access by removing the rear fascia. Sounds crazy, but he says that's just better in the long run. Should be fun.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Bummer..