Help, GT stops running at idle

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
MAD - for what it's worth, my problem had occurred with low tank, not full, and I never could read the OBD code. I would get the check engine light - but no code. Changed the neck, and gone. I guess it doesn't always throw off the code ??

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
MAD - for what it's worth, my problem had occurred with low tank, not full, and I never could read the OBD code. I would get the check engine light - but no code. Changed the neck, and gone. I guess it doesn't always throw off the code ??

AWESOME!! I will change that @%^#$ neck :thumbsup

jamoffroad

Oct 25, 2008
is the filler neck a warranty thing? it is part of the smog stuff so it should be ?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
This can be a simple "tune" problem as well. Mine had a similar problem and just needed a little tweek in the tune, problem solved 2 years ago. However, this usually only happens after a "custom tune" has been performed. If the car has never been tuned, it's likely the neck.

Tomcat

GT Owner
An SCT tuner reads them too.
I got an SCT tuner from Torrie (with my tune). So, I can read codes with it? I guess I will read the directions/instructions.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Uh huh. When all else fails, RTFM…

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Below are some instructions c/p from SCT's site, assuming you have an X4. Other SCT handhelds are pretty similar.

Step 1: Once the device is powered on using the OBDII cable provided, scroll down to highlight “Vehicle Diagnostics”. Press the center button on the X4 keypad to select.
Step 2: Use the up or down arrow button to choose “Read” or “Clear” DTC Codes.
READ DTC: Turn the vehicle key to the ON position and select continue. The device will automatically detect and display any codes that may be present. You will be able to read the definition of the code by scrolling and selecting the code being displayed. To go back to the list of DTC’s, highlight and select the back button.
CLEAR DTC: Turn the vehicle key to the ON position and select “Continue”. The device will display “Clear Codes Complete, Turn Key Off”. Your DTC codes have now been cleared. Select Exit, and Exit again to get back to the Main Menu

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Below are some instructions c/p from SCT's site, assuming you have an X4. Other SCT handhelds are pretty similar.

Step 1: Once the device is powered on using the OBDII cable provided, scroll down to highlight “Vehicle Diagnostics”. Press the center button on the X4 keypad to select.
Step 2: Use the up or down arrow button to choose “Read” or “Clear” DTC Codes.
READ DTC: Turn the vehicle key to the ON position and select continue. The device will automatically detect and display any codes that may be present. You will be able to read the definition of the code by scrolling and selecting the code being displayed. To go back to the list of DTC’s, highlight and select the back button.
CLEAR DTC: Turn the vehicle key to the ON position and select “Continue”. The device will display “Clear Codes Complete, Turn Key Off”. Your DTC codes have now been cleared. Select Exit, and Exit again to get back to the Main Menu

Note: If you clear the DTC code it will reset the emissions readiness tests and you will have to run the drive cycle. If the code you have is readiness test related it can take a while for the code to return. Having gone through a set of codes with my GT the Ford sequence is much harder to run to completion than my Dodge truck. I got the truck in 10 miles. The GT took a lot longer. Drive it around for a while and watch the indicators clear. Then for the ones that haven't use the specific sequence outlined in the Ford Drive Cycle document (google it).

Tomcat

GT Owner
No codes...stumble at idle did not leave a trace/code.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Probably a sensor dirty or out of spec, but not far enough out of spec to trigger an error code. Refer to parallel thread.