Help, GT stops running at idle

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
So far I have put 80 miles on top of the 1400 miles my 2006 GT had when I purchased it. Everything was fine until this evening I went out for a 20 minute ride on the last two stops before returning home the motor died when I pulled up to two seperate stop sighns, started right up the first time the second time I had to hit the start switch twice? Any input on this?Thanks for any help!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It could be the fuel filling port not sealing. A know problem. But you haven't filled the tank too many times so it is less likely.

Do you have any ODBII trouble codes?

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
It could be the fuel filling port not sealing. A know problem. But you haven't filled the tank too many times so it is less likely.

Do you have any ODBII trouble codes?

Do I need a meter to see the trouble codes or do they come out on the dash somewhere?

H

HHGT

What brand of fuel did you use? Chip may want to chime in here re seasonal mixes, but I distinctly remember at least two other cars having the same symptom after fueling at a Shell Gas Station. It happend to me and RVKING

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Do I need a meter to see the trouble codes or do they come out on the dash somewhere?

There is a yellow check engine light on the dash, but some codes are intermittant and will go away. To get the real code you need a OBDII code reader. An SCT tuner reads them too.

Aug 25, 2006
So far I have put 80 miles on top of the 1400 miles my 2006 GT had when I purchased it. Everything was fine until this evening I went out for a 20 minute ride on the last two stops before returning home the motor died when I pulled up to two seperate stop sighns, started right up the first time the second time I had to hit the start switch twice? Any input on this?Thanks for any help!

Fuel filler neck

Fill her up completely and then drive her and the problem will likely go away until she drops to near a 3/4 tank of fuel at which time the purge system comes back on line and the issue will repeat.

Takes care

Shadowman

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas

I had a Honda Insight that would do the same thing.:lol:biggrin

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Fuel filler neck

Fill her up completely and then drive her and the problem will likely go away until she drops to near a 3/4 tank of fuel at which time the purge system comes back on line and the issue will repeat.

Takes care

Shadowman

Interesting...I filled the tank up with BP last week but only just above 3/4 full. Now Im just below 3/4:beer2:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If the check engine light comes on, you can plug in a code reader (like an SCT tuner device from one of the sponsors) and it will read many error codes. The fuel filler gives off a code (search for it on forum) that will corroborate it. That being said, I had the same problem and it never read a code. Replaced the fuel filler, and never since.
Good luck.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Scooter -

Shadowman is absolutely spot-on. It is your fuel filler neck. It needs to be replaced. Have trust.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
If it is really windy you could be running into a mass air flow sensor issue.... just a thought.

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
What brand of fuel did you use? Chip may want to chime in here re seasonal mixes, but I distinctly remember at least two other cars having the same symptom after fueling at a Shell Gas Station. It happend to me and RVKING

Correct it was Shell. I have used Chevron thereafter and it has never happened again.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I had the same problem when I bought my car. Changed the fuel filler neck twice and IAC valve once and the problem still persisted. Had a local Ford tuner retune my car and it helped quite a bit but the problem was never 100% fixed. Good luck.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
The winds were calm when I went for the drive, does the filler neck have to be changed on all the GTs built or is it an isolated issue?
Do I call Ford for a new filler neck?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
mine has done this a few times. rare but has happened.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The winds were calm when I went for the drive, does the filler neck have to be changed on all the GTs built or is it an isolated issue?

The pblm is created when the metal nozzle on the gas station 'pump nicks/scratches/cuts the GT's filler tube seal when inserting/removing the nozzle in a "not so careful" manner. So, no, it's not something that necessarily HAS TO BE replaced on all GTs.

You'll need to order a new one (filler neck), however.:cheers

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida

I can get you a good deal on a new filler neck if needed email me torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Seems like a rubber stopper could be used to test the failed filler neck seal theory.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
My car also did this just before I started taking it apart. I couldn't figure out why the day before the car would idle no problem and then the next day I would have to stay on the gas so it wouldn't stall. Weird!

I might as well change the fuel filler neck now that I have the inner fender liners out. I will take pics of the surgery and post on my thread.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
the ODBII code is P0455.....

If you don't have a code (Minor or major) it's probably not the neck......

Also - as Shadowman states if the take is full, and it does it - not the filler neck