Helmet

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
What kind of helmet and certificaion do you guys wear when you go to the track for lapping?

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
I have used a Bell helmet rated at SNEL 2000 for the past 3 years.I believe the SCCA and most all of the driving schools[Bertil Roos,Barber etc] will be requiring SNEL 2000 rated helmets starting this year.You can find a good helmet for $250-$500,depending on size,features etc at a number of Internet stores.
Depending on how much track work you are planning on doing,I would strongly recommend you pick up a neck collar also.I have also seen more people using Hans dvices at track weekends this year.Pricey,but our necks and spinal columns are "pricier!"
Have fun.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
lemansz

You need to get the "SA05" not "MA05" !!! G-FORCE are the lowest priced, you can use a closed or open faced helment.

AMB

Last edited:

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
does M indciate motorcycle?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
M = helmet
SA = Special Application = automobile

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I figured...why could I not use my motorcyle helmet? I find the opening on motortcycle helmets much larger then the one I use when gokarting...please enlighten me...thanks

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The reason I was told is a M helmet is optimized for only a single impact on a given spot, where a SA helmet must sustain multiple impacts to the same spot. Like when your car rolls and you bang you helmet into the same spot on the rollcage.

BlackICE

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
thanks, I had heard that as well. The ARAI site shows many different kinds, mostly though, the auto versions are much more expensive thent he motorycle versions

Pipelion

I don't want to be "Spam in a can".

But better to be helmetted if and when Spammed,

Allan

PS Will get helmet after me get car.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Spend the $ on a good helmet. Also note the SA2005's are out this year. I just replaced my SA95. Unfortunatly helmets do need to be tried on. Bell is the only one that fits my dome, Arai, simpson, impact to name a few, just do not fit me they put a lot of pressure on my forehead.

The biggest difference in helmets, besides quality of appointments (liners etc), is weight. Assuming you are driving hard for the day, the difference in a few ounces you will feel the next day (lighter the better). Also if you are going to be getting serious, I would look into 5 (or better 6) point belts, not only because it holds you in better, BUT it the alows you to wear a HANS.

Just my 2c, Andy

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
The SA helmets have a nomex layer inside them for some fire resistance, M helmets do not. Some tracks or open road racing venues will require a head sock with an M helmet but do not require it with an SA helmet. I would suggest getting an SA05 that way your helmet will be good for 10 years at most track events.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
LEMANSZ said:
I figured...why could I not use my motorcyle helmet? I find the opening on motortcycle helmets much larger then the one I use when gokarting...please enlighten me...thanks

Motorcycle helmets are designed for glancing blows. If in an accident throw away.

Snell rated helemets offer greater protection. Visor port sizes vary based on manufaturer and style. Also motorcycle helmets are available in SNell ratings but more money and geenrally weigh more.

Dave

Pipelion

Why aren't they making real light ones out of carbon fiber? Because carbon fiber explodes upon impact?

Allan

Pipelion

Are the carbon fiber ones much lighter?

Allan

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Very light, this is the this is my 4th helmet and the lighest so far. They do not discuss specifically what the laminate materials are, but for sure this thing is light. Even lighter than my last which was the Dominator.

http://www.bellracing.com/product/uxclrtr.htm

Andy

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Pipelion said:
Are the carbon fiber ones much lighter?

Allan

A rule of thumb the lighter the helmet the more expensive. And the more exotic the material the cost goes up in a straight line.

Dave

Pipelion

Andy,

WOW the Bell is a grand?

Andy, Dave or anyone: How much are the F1 helmets that look very strange?

Allan

PS Andy, it must be worth it to not wreck your neck muscles after a hard ride.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Pipelion said:
Andy,

WOW the Bell is a grand?

Andy, Dave or anyone: How much are the F1 helmets that look very strange?

Allan

PS Andy, it must be worth it to not wreck your neck muscles after a hard ride.

Michael Schumacher's helmet is rumoured to be around $ 15,000.00

Dave

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes, helmets are expensive, and yes, F1 helmets are in the 5-15k range (who knows the truth). I race in an open cockpit car 8 weekends or so a year, so spending the $ is worth it to me. If I were tracking the GT once a year I might have a different opinion. But the old phrase holds true, you get what you pay for.

Andy