Headlight condensation...

soltic

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Sorry to bother anyone, just wondering if anybody has experienced the following:

During getting caught in a little rain, turned the headlights on, about a 1/2 hr later made it home & while garaging noticed condensation inside the sealed HID units. The beam pattern was burning off any condensation in it's way but all around the lower areas of the lights condensation was easily seen on both L & R units....

Could this be due to a temp differential or possible problem w/ the units (ie not being sealed properly)??

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Rod

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
It happens to mine. It goes away so I don't get excited about it..

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
happens to me too...........I just don't drive it at night or in the morning.......its a cheap fix.....

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There are some old posts about this. It is covered under warranty and you can have them replaced. The headlight unit itself is way over $500.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Frank makes a strong point.... do it while it is under warranty

GT Charlie

Jun 23, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
This is a Special Service Message for the Moisture or Condensation Concern. The number 18990 is the SSM reference number. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18990 2005-2006 Ford Gt - Moisture Or Condensation In Headlamps
Some 2005-2006 Ford Gt Vehicles May Exhibit Moisture Or Condensation In The Headlamps. The Concern Is Most Evident In Vehicles That Are Operated In High Humidity And Direct Sunlight, But Has No Effect On Headlamp Function. In Most Cases Operating The Headlamps For Approximately 20 Minutes Will Evaporate The Moisture And Correct The Issue. If The Condensation Is Eliminated After 20 Minutes Of Headlamp Operation, Do Not Replace The Headlamps.
Effective Date: 12/20/2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
after twenty minutes you can get a sun tan, be sure to take a salt tablet and wear eye protection if your going to watch the condensation go away. :)

soltic

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for replying guys:thumbsup

I'm talking to my dealer in hopes these will simply be replaced, unfortunately, the ventureshield will have to be replaced as well...

Funny thing about the service bulletin above - it may have been high humidity due to rain but obviously no sunlight... interesting another member had his fog while washing his car.... one could assume that these may not be sealed properly... just my .02....

-Rod

Last edited:

Cobradvr

GT Owner
Soltic,

I have the same problem, did you get Ford to replace your lamps?

Thanks,
Mark

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Does it state somewhere that the headlight units are supposed to be sealed? I would think that they would have to be vented to release the pressure caused by the intense heat the lights generate. If there is a vent to release pressure, there has to be a vent to let air back in when it cools down, doesn't there?

BTW, I have the condensation issue on my car also but I don't consider it a problem and don't think it's worth the time or trouble to try to have it warrantied. I just consider it a characteristic of the car.

Last edited:

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I was told by my dealer that the condensation has to be "significant" and they would have to take pictures to send back to Ford to get authorization to replace. I'll live with it - too big of a hassle for me.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Condesation.

I have had my fog lights half filled with water. High tide mark is about 3" from bottom.

Head lights get some condensation (fogging) when washing. And when parked out side on a cool night.

Neither has been a problem, just not what I consider normal.

Just discovered that the headlight lens's, on both side, have what looks like stress cracks in them. Originally we thought it was a stretching problem with the 3M film. I found this out when we removed the covering. Haven't put in fer warrantee claim -- yet. Been that way for a year and a half.

Aug 25, 2006
Condesation.

I have had my fog lights half filled with water. High tide mark is about 3" from bottom.

Head lights get some condensation (fogging) when washing. And when parked out side on a cool night.

Neither has been a problem, just not what I consider normal.

Just discovered that the headlight lens's, on both side, have what looks like stress cracks in them. Originally we thought it was a stretching problem with the 3M film. I found this out when we removed the covering. Haven't put in fer warrantee claim -- yet. Been that way for a year and a half.

The stress cracks are a known issue as such Ford has replaced several of them; the folks in Canada have had the greatest issue as their lights are suppose to remain on all the time however I understand that several have had them replaced and then the day time running light feature turned off.

Takes care

Shadowman

Hi Rod your headlights and other goodies are in now!!

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Condesation.

Do you think this will shorten the life of the fog light bulb?

fog.jpg

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Do you think this will shorten the life of the fog light bulb?

View attachment 4166

Not in my case. I seldom turn them on.

Wipers used often. Replace them twice a year.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
The stress cracks are a known issue as such Ford has replaced several of them; the folks in Canada have had the greatest issue as their lights are suppose to remain on all the time however I understand that several have had them replaced and then the day time running light feature turned off.

Takes care

Shadowman

Didn't know that. I'll see about getting them replaced.

Thanks Much.