headers

64ford

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2012
I am a new owner of a '05 GT. Can anyone tell me who might make big tube headers (ie 1 7/8"or 2"). I am planning to put a 4.0 Whipple with a 19 lb pulley on the car soon.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Welcome to the GT show 64ford!
You are in for one incredible ride.
I used the "Search" feature for "long tube headers" to give you some reading material.
I'm sure you will also get some good responses from those who have that exhaust set up and whipple set up.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1143405

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
You want shorties or long tube?

64ford

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2012
I want long tubes. Stainless Works are 1 3/4". Any other suggestions?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Stainless Works are 1 3/4".

Do you have some computer model (or something) that suggests (or clearly demonstrates) you're going to NEED 1 7/8 or 2" for max flow/power? (As you're doubtless aware, there IS a point at which bigger headers - even a little bit bigger - are in no way better.)

I'm not passing judgement here or questioning the validity of your choice(!) - just curious as to how/why you arrived at that particular 'size'? IOW, what the devil are you BUILDING and for what end use???!! :eek :willy

:cheers

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Do you have some computer model (or something) that suggests (or clearly demonstrates) you're going to NEED 1 7/8 or 2" for max flow/power? (As you're doubtless aware, there IS a point at which bigger headers - even a little bit bigger - are in no way better.)

I'm not passing judgement here or questioning the validity of your choice(!) - just curious as to how/why you arrived at that particular 'size'? IOW, what the devil are you BUILDING and for what end use???!! :eek :willy

:cheers

What's your point? Are you trying to convince him to get something he doesn't want? Why question him?

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
In previous discussions the general opinion seemed to be headers didn't add that much power. The greatest benefit seemed to be weight savings and sound. I have the Stainless system and am very satisfied.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The greatest benefit seemed to be weight savings and sound.

This alone makes it worth it!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The bigger headers will Benifit with a bigger blower, all the Shelby guys and the cobra jets with 1000+hp run 1 7/8 or 2". I make a 1 7/8 into 2" step header full length and make 1452 rwhp with them on my Gt. I have a set partially finished right now.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
..and she said size didn't matter..

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What's your point? Are you trying to convince him to get something he doesn't want? Why question him?

Why are YOU questioning MY motives? I said: "I'm not passing judgement here or questioning the validity of your choice(!) - just curious as to how/why you arrived at that particular 'size'?" I meant just what I said and 'asked for the exact reason stated.

B.M.F. has now clued me in as to what's what regarding same. Thanks, Dan.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Somebody needs a hug.

In the mean time, 1 7/8" would have been my choice if room allowed. Long tube headers were not my choice so it didn't happen. I would pick up Dan's product if it is available. If they are straight out the back headers be warned, loud will have a whole new meaning. The GTs rear engine design does not produce the same results as adding headers and a straight pipe to front engine car. It is VERY loud and IMHO a bit raspy.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
IMO when I lift the cover on my engine I should see Headers cuz i like the way they look. If I could figure out a way to have a " bundle of snakes" like the original GT40's had I would do it.
DSCN0652.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Why are YOU questioning MY motives? I said: "I'm not passing judgement here or questioning the validity of your choice(!) - just curious as to how/why you arrived at that particular 'size'?" I meant just what I said and 'asked for the exact reason stated.

B.M.F. has now clued me in as to what's what regarding same. Thanks, Dan.

I'm only saying that he obviously has reasons to go to a larger diameter, and your post seems to ridicule his choice. If you have tried all these sizes on your GT, then you have a valid point. But, you don't even have a GT, so I find your comment to be somewhat insulting and derogatory. When you get another GT, and have the test data to show the invalidity of his approach, or have real data from other sources, then you can cite it. Otherwise, I consider your response to just be opinionated.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Otherwise, I consider your response to just be opinionated.

...and yours isn't?!

It appears you've chosen to see only what you WANT to see for some reason, sir.

OTOH, B.M.F. obviously understood exactly where I was coming from.

Anyway, for my part I'm dropping the whole thing here...

G'night.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
IMO when I lift the cover on my engine I should see Headers cuz i like the way they look. If I could figure out a way to have a " bundle of snakes" like the original GT40's had I would do it.

I feel exactly the same way....and I love the sound. :biggrin

I will show the other side of that equation :thumbsup

Attachments

• 100_0881.jpg
    100_0881.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 162

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I will say until you have heard my gt in person, there is not a louder gt in the world, it's a bad sounding son of a bitch. Wait till you hear vid of it at 8500 :)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What is the coating on your headers Lorenzo and 2112?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I believe it's jet hot ceramic by the looks of it