Header Heat...Protect against melting and boiling.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My car has FRPP long tube headers, which have no heat shielding like the stock exhaust system does. Here, the starter solenoid electrical connector has begun to melt from header heat. You can see the outside of the connector has dripped like candle wax. The GT Guys installed a heat shield on this part.

The hydraulic clutch line passes close to the headers as well. If the fluid boils at this spot...no clutch. The GT Guys added a length of fabric heat shield around the clutch line.

p871754401-6.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Stock this connector can get crispy. Mine is.

Note Im sure street and spirited driving its AOK, Im sure mine is from track use.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Mine did that.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My car has FRPP long tube headers, which have no heat shielding like the stock exhaust system does. Here, the starter solenoid electrical connector has begun to melt from header heat. You can see the outside of the connector has dripped like candle wax. The GT Guys installed a heat shield on this part.

The hydraulic clutch line passes close to the headers as well. If the fluid boils at this spot...no clutch. The GT Guys added a length of fabric heat shield around the clutch line.

Do you have the "after" pics too?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Inconel is your friend. I wrapped the entire exhaust and dropped ambient temps in the engine bay about 70-80 degrees.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Any pics of Inconel installation, and sources for material. Might be something I'd like to consider while she's up in the air for Winter maintenance.

Thanks.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
As far as I know, Inconel is an austenite nickel-chromium superalloy. No idea what it has to do with heat shielding exhaust parts in a GT. If you have aftermarket headers, just put some heat sleeve on the starter solenoid and the clutch line. No big deal. If you're stock, do nothing.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Any pics of Inconel installation, and sources for material. Might be something I'd like to consider while she's up in the air for Winter maintenance.

Thanks.

Winter maintenance?? What's winter?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Winter maintenance?? What's winter?

I survived Florida winter Feb 19-20, 2015. We had three shivering hours below freezing. I hope to never experience anything that brutal ever again.