Has Sears dropped the Diehard Platinum Group size 75?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
No 75/86DT Platinum anymore? Sears says it's discontinued, and I can't find it on-line either. There is a Gold edition, but side post only. Am I misinformed?

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sears is dropping everything that people want to buy. "Sears" will be discontinued as soon as Eddie Lampert wrings the last dollar out of it.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We haven't had any issues getting them. Call Eric John. I'm sure we can get one for you if you can't....

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Thanks, Shelby. I'm headed out Monday for 3 weeks. I'll call Eric when I get back and see if I can sort this out. Cheers.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Remember, Sears doesn't make these batteries. I found the exact Sears equivalent at a battery supply, including the AGM construction.

Howard

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Right...same as Odyssey, although Sears has a 4 year warranty vs Odyssey's 3 year. I got the Odyssey equivalent for my truck from Amazon. It cost a few dollars more, but no tax and free shipping. And, when it failed after a little over a year, Amazon shipped a replacement for free.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
The Odyessey and Sears plat. Batteries are made by Enersys. Just remember, you still need battery tenders for even these mega batteries.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Well, there is an alternative to a battery tender......

DRIVE THE DARN CAR once in a while.

I have only used a tender for a couple 2 to 3 week periods when I was out of town. Otherwise the car never sits for more than 7 days. No tender needed.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Well, there is an alternative to a battery tender......

DRIVE THE DARN CAR once in a while.

I have only used a tender for a couple 2 to 3 week periods when I was out of town. Otherwise the car never sits for more than 7 days. No tender needed.

Yep. That's what I thought . I drive mine a lot also but lost a gauge and quickly ran out and bought a new Sears and put it on tender and it came back. A GT not on a tender is tempting fate.

Last edited:

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
The Odyessey and Sears plat. Batteries are made by Enersys. Just remember, you still need battery tenders for even these mega batteries.

100% agree. Also, for those using an AGM battery, make sure to get a battery tender that has an AGM charging option. AGM's like to be at a slightly higher voltage than wet cells.

I'd also stay with a name brand charger, I would not trust a knock off or Harbor Freight sourced unit. One of my friends cooked his battery with a Harbor Freight tender/maintainer.

Cheers,
George

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I went to a harbor freight store in Houston and literally found NOT ONE thing in the store that was worth purchasing in my book. Cheap Chinese crap with absolutely no quality what so ever. Don't waste your time and money by ordering. Go look for yourself. Enough said, I wasted my time and drive.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tomy, perhaps this is the kind of store you need to take Sue to? She won't buy anything for a change.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I went to a harbor freight store in Houston and literally found NOT ONE thing in the store that was worth purchasing in my book. Cheap Chinese crap with absolutely no quality what so ever. Don't waste your time and money by ordering. Go look for yourself. Enough said, I wasted my time and drive.
You seem surprised

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I agree, they sell throw away tools. A couple of days ago I borrowed a metric socket set from my brother in law for a small motorcycle project. It was their "high" quality Pittsburgh line. The first firm twist on a bolt and the socket came apart. I couldn't believe they even sell sockets that bad. Dangerous, I think. So now his beautiful set is missing #13. Sorry to OP for continuing hijack.

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
..... Sorry to OP for continuing hijack.

No problem, interesting stuff for sure. But I'm still hoping someone else will confirm if Sears has truly discontinued this battery.. :bored

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I use about 10 of their float chargers at present, and for the last several years. Never had a problem. I'd be careful of making global judgements based on a sample size of one. But several failures I'd be very interested to hear about......

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I haven't been able to find a sears battery either. Since people are saying it's an Odyssey, I went to their site and found 25-PC1400T, http://www.odysseybattery.com/batterysearch/ Actually pulled up in a search so it is probably correct. 279.91, and a little more on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-25-PC...TF8&qid=1373989637&sr=8-1&keywords=25-PC1400T

Or this seems to be the same as stock from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8025-160-Starting-Battery/dp/B000MSBU9U
Or from Fordparts: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/ShoppingCart.aspx?addpart=5g7z10655AA for 30 more.

Not really sure what to do, but my battery is near done. Not sure the Odyessey is the one as it's so much more then the Sears prices people talked about. But if it is, guess that's the one to order even though I had great luck with the Optima.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I use about 10 of their float chargers at present, and for the last several years. Never had a problem. I'd be careful of making global judgements based on a sample size of one. But several failures I'd be very interested to hear about......
I agree. I have 4 Battery Tender Juniors, one of them failed. This also isn't statistically significant.

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
Be careful about using the Harbor Freight "float chargers" (the ones for $6.00 to $14.99 depending on the sale). The instructions that come with them specifically warn not to use them with AGM batteries. You can download the instructions right off their website for most of their chargers to verify which one you have. Maybe the latest versions have been upgraded to be AGM capable but double check to be on the safe side. You do not want to consistently undercharge an AGM as this effects its performance and longevity drastically.

I've used CTek's and not had a problem, but just so everybody knows...the CTeks, Deltran Battery Tenders and Harbor Freight units are all made in China. If anybody knows of a quality made USA battery tender, I would be interested at checking them out since I'm in the market for a couple more.

Cheers,
George

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Havent heard of Ford OEM charger failing yet