Has any GT Owners

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
used any kind of electronic device to test the speed of their GT or are you waiting to break in your engines? Also will anybody be modifying their GT radically(engine swapping, turbo, etc.)?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Remember a replacement engine is approximately $ 27,000 plus installation. Certain modifications will immediately void the warranty, including re-flashing the computer.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Like many of the other Owners, I would like to know why the current GT 1/4 mile acceleration tests are 4 to 6 tenhs slower than the 1st tests. I know
these are not Drag Racers but I hate to have my butt kicked by the '04 Viper
I sold to my Partner.
Maybe FORD will modify the motor to make it as fast as advertised ?? I remember the '99 Cobra deal..........

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The initial cars used for testing were not production vehicles. They were not emmission certiffied and probably had other goodies.

There was one that ran a 10.85 ET at Englishtown that made 625 RWHP at the wheels. The car had a reflashed computer, either gutted or deleted cats, a smaller supercharger pulley, and some other mods.

It is normal for all manufacturers to have special / ringer cars available for early testing. Also the day, weather, track, driver, track spray, etc. contribute to differences in time.

A stock engine produces somewhere between 500 - 560 RWHP and about 470 - 490 RW Torque. The car, with its high gearing, is not made to be a drag car. It is a road course race car.

Last edited:

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Bill Briley said:
Like many of the other Owners, I would like to know why the current GT 1/4 mile acceleration tests are 4 to 6 tenhs slower than the 1st tests. I know
these are not Drag Racers but I hate to have my butt kicked by the '04 Viper
I sold to my Partner.
Maybe FORD will modify the motor to make it as fast as advertised ?? I remember the '99 Cobra deal..........

you should have your car dyno'd......and I don't think you have to worry about the VIPER.

Svt03Cobra

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2005
? TN
satx said:
you should have your car dyno'd......and I don't think you have to worry about the VIPER.

Exactly..... :tongue

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have no electronic data yet, car is still not broken in fully. Only from the seat of the pants can I say, it feels faster than anything I have driven to date, including 427FE Cobra replica, 360, Stradale, 430 and several Turbo Porsches.
I am debating going the pulley route, I am not sure if I will at this point; the car is to quiet so an exhaust system change is being considered, but the Borla pricing seems over the top to me. :thumbsup

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
bony said:
I have no electronic data yet, car is still not broken in fully. Only from the seat of the pants can I say, it feels faster than anything I have driven to date, including 427FE Cobra replica, 360, Stradale, 430 and several Turbo Porsches.
I am debating going the pulley route, I am not sure if I will at this point; the car is to quiet so an exhaust system change is being considered, but the Borla pricing seems over the top to me. :thumbsup

The pulley change will add 30 - 35 RWHP. Remember Ford did a pulley change when they rerated the car from 500 to 550 hp when it was introduced.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Performance

Thanks for the info.......
I will take a wait and see while I get some miles and seat time. In the future, maybe a Pulley........................
Don't get me wrong, this car is fantastic.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The other item to consider is gutting the cats. I have been told this is the biggest restriction on the engine. However it makes a noticeable throater noise and cruising in 6th at 90 mph creates a resonance that is very annoying.

Svt03Cobra

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2005
? TN
barondw said:
The other item to consider is gutting the cats. I have been told this is the biggest restriction on the engine. However it makes a noticeable throater noise and cruising in 6th at 90 mph creates a resonance that is very annoying.

I'm still deciding whether or not to cut my cats of my New Black GT when I get it. I would figure like you said, that it would make some loud resonance at those speeds. I'm definitely probably going to get the Borla exhaust from Ford. But we'll see when that time comes... :biggrin

Venix

Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
Well if you dont want to pay the high price on the aftermarket exhaust systems, im sure that you can pull off the stock one, and have a custom one made with whichever mufflers you would like. Borla, Bassani, Magnaflow, and SLP all sell their mufflers without a system.....i would not recomend the SLP though.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Svt03Cobra said:
I'm still deciding whether or not to cut my cats of my New Black GT when I get it. I would figure like you said, that it would make some loud resonance at those speeds. I'm definitely probably going to get the Borla exhaust from Ford. But we'll see when that time comes... :biggrin

According to Ford SVT the Borla just make noise and do not add much of anything else. I do not believe that there is any reason to change mufflers, if you desire I would gut the cats, but if you have emission testing it could be an issue.

I bought a second set which were gutted and installed on the car. So I can always replace the gutted unit with the original cats. Yes they are expensive.

The removal and installation process is not easy, espeically on the passenger side. There is 2-3 inches less room. You also need to remove the rear bumper and valance panel. Because the cats are so close to the starter you also have to disconnect the battery or risk a short or worse. Just be aware its not as simple as it looks.

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Uhm, Hennesey said removing the entire exhaust system made no difference on the dyno. So unless another system is gonna give some miraculous scavenging effect, I'd say its a waste of time.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Vic said:
Uhm, Hennesey said removing the entire exhaust system made no difference on the dyno. So unless another system is gonna give some miraculous scavenging effect, I'd say its a waste of time.

other than a better exhaust note and potential weight savings. Full length headers and high flow cats might add some power especially on pullied cars.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Vic said:

It's worth it to me to get a little more sound. Has anyone installed or heard the full Borla package (headers and muffler)?

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Florida Chris said:
It's worth it to me to get a little more sound. Has anyone installed or heard the full Borla package (headers and muffler)?

what about hooker headers :biggrin

Svt03Cobra

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2005
? TN
Florida Chris said:

Does anyone have a video of Borla exhaust????? I would like to hear it so I can decide whether or not to buy them..... :banana

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Florida Chris said:

Yes SVT has car so equipped. It sounds throatier and a bit louder. No more power. A lot of money for noise in my opinion.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I'm going to spell it wrong, but whipple which is the manufacturer of our supercharger is going to come out with a blower upgrade that fits our block. It should roughly bring the motor to about 850hp and with a 12% decrease in power to the wheels, that leaves us GT owners with a measley 748 horses to the ground. Not sure if the upgrade is out yet but it will be soon.My guy says... cost.. about $9000. Also, if you want something now so that now vipes or vettes can't even give you a little scare.... do a puley change along with exhaust and a re- dyno and programming of the computer. This is about $5000 but you'll get roughly 640 horses to the ground on that upgrade. Remember one thing. Make sure you take back all the parts they exchanged just incase you want your matching number vehicle later down the road.