Hans Stuck takes us to school!

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Nordschleife, in an M3. For all you aspiring Schueys.

http://www.dgtalpimp.com/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv

If this isn't the right forum, I'll happily move it.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Eeeek!

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
glp.

Even my not-yet-3-years-old son was glued to the computer monitor for that whole time....

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
That is a MEGA clip!!!
A very good lap. He was only held up in the hairpin by the red Porsche, otherwise ball out...

Stuck is actually a very funny and down to earth guy.. used to race against him in the '96 DTM (ITC back then)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
When watching something like that you suddenly realise (at least I did) that you'll never be that good. Amazing talent and seemingly no fear.

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
Wow! Looks like the other cars weren't even trying.

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Great Vid!

For us amateurs, shows what it's supposed to look like.

I thought he was going to do a rectal exam on that Porsche!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I've done much better than that...on Playstation 2. :lol It's funny how video games have come to the point to where I know every turn of that track by heart and I've set foot near it.

Unbelievable driving. I can't imagine how intense it is on those undulating sections where the suspension totally unloads and you're pretty much floating at triple digit speed. That clip will definitely never get old. :cheers

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
Wow...that's great, thanks for the post!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
great video, sure makes me feel like a little old lady... got to get me a playstation, seems less expensive than a new GT :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Vic said:
Nordschleife, in an M3. For all you aspiring Schueys.

http://www.dgtalpimp.com/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv

If this isn't the right forum, I'll happily move it.

Sabine is one fast chic… Watch her master the ‘ring!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4663069452162988713&q=porsche

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5546118609957365052&q=nurburgring

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
If you call that mastering the 'Ring I don't want to ride with you either. She was all over the track. The M5 didn't seem that comfortable. The 996 driver got too close to her several times.

The motorcycle riders obviously never look in their mirrors.

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Thanks for the vids, "Bony"! 10:08 in a Transit Van isn't too shabby! Some people can't even do that in a sports car, let alone a van!

Like Dave said, that lap in the M5 wasn't too great. Its like she couldn't find her rythym, and the M5 looked unsettled through the turns. So many apexes were missed, it was a lost lap. The traffic had alot to do with that, but even so, it din't look too good.

I like blonde german girls, so she is tops in my book. Wish my wife liked racing.....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Dave, your correct, you don't want to ride with me :cheers :biggrin That is unless you want to stop half way for a picnic... I'll bring the martini shaker :lol

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
bony said:
Dave, your correct, you don't want to ride with me :cheers :biggrin That is unless you want to stop half way for a picnic... I'll bring the martini shaker :lol

Only if its a vodka martini. I don't care if its shaken or stirred.

DAve

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ok Dave, your easy, LEVEL ONE is my brand of choice. First gross is on me :biggrin You won't be needing a winter coat with LEVEL ONE antifreeze in your system :cheers

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Man that was awesome and intense, just glad I wasn't in the passenger seat!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Brings new meaning to the words... opps, or oh fxxk!
http://www.20832.com/renn.tv/VLN8_Bilstein_Land.wmv

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
bony said:
Brings new meaning to the words... opps, or oh fxxk!
http://www.20832.com/renn.tv/VLN8_Bilstein_Land.wmv

Now that was very interesting....He heads into a downhill righthander, looks like he is set up ok, starts on the outside, heads for the apex, but then the rear end comes around, and its all over, couldn't catch it in time before he hits the Armco railing. Any thoughts on why he lost it?

Here is my take- On the previous turn, or thereabouts, he was in recovery mode, after an awkward moment. This took his concentration off for the next turn, and he may have been just a little timid on the gas.

Coming into the turn of fate, (Hey! You like that? "Turn of Fate"?), he lets off the gas, but the pavement is "going away" from him, at turn-in. The elevation change makes the car go light, and letting off the gas transfers the weight forward, leaving the backend "light". Couple this with the right hand g-force, and the rear end breaks away, and car keeps rotating clock-wise.

Anybody else see it this way?

And what to do about it? Armchair quarterback time, here we go!

1. Don't lose concentration at any time, keep thinking ahead, even after geting out-of-shape. Take each turn one at a time, plan ahead mentally.
2. In a downhill turn, don't let completely off the throttle. Keep your foot in it, to keep the car balanced, front-to-rear.

Well, thats my first take on it. I'll go back and watch it again to see if it looks different to me this time.

Last edited:

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Additional observations-
1. He guns the throttle going uphill, just before turn-in for the Turn of Fate. Then he palms the shifter forward, selecting a higher gear. But it doesn't sound like he gets back on the throttle in that next gear. If he had, this would have kept more weight on the rears. It sounded like he had no throttle input at that time. After cresting the hill, getting off the throttle, and then having the pavement go away from him, the rear end of the car was very light.
2. The "Turn of Fate", as I am want to call it, is in shadows. Going up hill, the sun is warming the pavement. But after cresting the hill, the pavement is shadowed by the trees. This diffrerence in track temperature might have made the pavement in the shadow several degrees cooler than the sunlit pavement, and so offered less traction. Cold pavement is bad, just like cold tires.

The more I think about it, the more this looks just like what I did in Turn 6 at Willow Springs. I had the hardest, fastest spin of my life there. You gotta make sure your car is pointed straight as an arrow when you crest the hill in Turn 6, because the car gets real light coming over the crest, and if you have any hint of polar rotation, it will continue to rotate all the way around, when the suspension unloads, and the contact patches are lightly loaded. The natural human tendency is to get off the gas when the proverbial sh*t hits the fan, but if you do that, the weight transfers forward, and the rear end will get light. It takes considerable reprogramming to get hard on the gas, when you feel the rear end coming around, and so transfer weight rearward, to make the rear end stick. I gotta work on that....!