Hand Painting Vs. Automated Painting

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone, although I find it pretty cool to look at and compare.

These are total thickness readings (not just clear coat readings) of two vehicles I recently detailed.

By Hand (2001 Ferrari 360 Spider)
handp1.jpg

Check out the difference between the driver & passenger door :eek

Automated Machine (2005 Porsche Cabriolet)

machine1p.jpg

Again, not a big shocker to anyone, just kind of neat to look at...

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Cool post... how does the average GT measure up?

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Cool post... how does the average GT measure up?
Have not detailed one since I got the paint depth gauges.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone, although I find it pretty cool to look at and compare.

These are total thickness readings (not just clear coat readings) of two vehicles I recently detailed.

Again, not a big shocker to anyone, just kind of neat to look at...

OBVIOUSLY there HAD TO HAVE BEEN some body work done on that pass door at some time or another to have the paint be SOOOOOOOOOOO much thicker there than anywhere else, ya think?

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
OBVIOUSLY there HAD TO HAVE BEEN some body work done on that pass door at some time or another to have the paint be SOOOOOOOOOOO much thicker there than anywhere else, ya think?
Was the 360 painted panel by panel or after it was assembled on the general structure of the car?

I would think that if it was painted almost assembled with the rest of the panels, there should not be such a great variance between the passenger door and RF fender. If it was painted piece by piece, I could see the variance possible due to the painter's hand moving a little slower.

Anyone know?

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Verrrry Innnnnteresting! :eek

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I was thinking the Passenger door may be a repaint as well.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Generally speaking you do not paint a car peice by piece because of the many factors that affect the color of the paint. Someone with an eye for color could tell the differance between panels.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Generally speaking you do not paint a car peice by piece because of the many factors that affect the color of the paint. Someone with an eye for color could tell the differance between panels.

I would guess than solid colors such as black or white would be easier to paint piece by piece, where candies or metalics would be very difficult to match.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
I would guess than solid colors such as black or white would be easier to paint piece by piece, where candies or metalics would be very difficult to match.

In car paint black and white is not just black and white they both have tints in them. But black exspecialy you have to get the depth right:willy

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
In car paint black and white is not just black and white they both have tints in them. But black exspecialy you have to get the depth right:willy

Are you saying that the clearcoats have tint? Yes that would make it tougher.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Are you saying that the clearcoats have tint? Yes that would make it tougher.

I dont think its the clearcoat, but if you go into the paint store and order a color, you will need a paint code even for black. Ford uses a white called wimpelton white on the Mustang which is a differant white than on a Ranger.
To tke it a step further my body guy sometimes even needs the build date of the car because of batch changes.
The real way to see this is in touch up paint. You put a dab on a paint chip and it looks close but when you stare at it you see its off a little.
Paint from the same can will change its tint a little by several ways just to name a few..
how well it is stired
how much reducer is used
fisheye stuff used
temp at which applied
air pressure sprayed at
humity in air
etc.
One thing I should clairafy this is when you paint like a door on mon. a hood on tue a fender on wed. Not when you have a fender, door, off the car and spray it all at the same time just in pieces.