Half shaft bolts loose?grease leaking

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
I recently had a main seal leak that required the transaxle to be pulled. In the process the shafts were removed. I assumed the bolts were replaced with new updated however I am not certain. Some of the bolts backed out and in turn allowed the cv joint to leak out grease. I am told the half shafts now have to be replaced, if new bolts were installed could they have been old stock?
Could there be another cause for the bolts to loosen? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks MTDGT

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
MTD, there is an extremely long thread on the half-shaft bolts. The original TSB for the half-shaft bolts was actually for leaking CV joints. If Ford bolts were used in the replacement, the outside bolts are torque to yield and therefore cannot be re-used. New bolts will be required regardless. Pictures are posted here comparing the first batch of replacement bolts (pretty much like the original bolts) vs the newer bolts with the thicker, countersunk washer. If you had a main seal leak, is your car an '05 early (less than 400) VIN with the speedy sleave replacement?

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
MTD, which bolts are you talking about the two that hold the hub onto the output shaft of the transaxle or the hex head bolts that hold the axle shaft onto the hub?? Check your work order sheet to see what parts were used, but either way the hex head bolts should have been replaced as mentioned above. I am assuming that this is also a low mileage original car if the main seal issue was never fixed before, so the other two axle bolts, should also have been replaced with the updated parts.

Good luck

John

John

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks for the insight my car is a Canadian 2006 my dealer originally replaced the bolts as per the TSB but another dealer did the main seal leak due to lack of space by my dealer

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
My car is original and at the time of repair I had approx. 10k miles and now has 12k. My dealer is checking into what bolts the other dealer used as per the warranty info.The work order sheet lists bolts(numbers only) so my guys are checking into what they were. Unfortunatelly both the service manager and the mechanic that worked on my GT no longer work at the other dealership.
Thanks for your help
MTDGT

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The fact that correct or incorrect bolts were used is, IMO, a moot point. Ford's shop repair manual specifies that the bolts should be discarded in favor of new bolts when they are removed. The reason is that they are TTY bolts and by re-using them, their strength could be compromised. Frankly, this is Ford being extremely cautious - because this is a rather critical area - as many areas are if the car is anywhere its top speed of 211 MPH! But, old bolts or new bolts, they were not properly tightened. There is a specific star-patterned torque sequence for these bolts and there's just no way they are going to loosen up if this sequence was performed - per the manual.

The original TSB for the half-shaft bolts was actually for leaking CV joints.

This isn't quite true. The CV joints have stamped steel caps on them and under normal conditions these caps do not loosen or leak. I suppose that the loose bolts caused one of the stamped caps to work itself loose and then the grease could escape. The aforementioned TSB was for leaking transaxle fluid that had a habit of leaking down the splines of the transaxle output shaft and into the coupler connected by these 6 outer bolts.

FYI - I recently priced the halfshafts for another customer and they are about $900 and change from Ford. Best to get the shop to admit and take responsibility for improperly torqued coupler bolts which caused the situation. If I can be of help, please don't hesitate to call me.

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
$900 each? I am waiting to see the dealer response.
Thanks again
MTDGT

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
$900 each? I am waiting to see the dealer response.

Correct. $900-ish for EACH side. Guesstimate labor at another 4 hours and your looking at a ballpark repair cost of ~$2500. Yikes!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Sounds like time for a second opinion from a local mechanic with more familiarity with GT's. Can you see any physical damage other than weeping oil?

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
Doesn't seem to be any damage but can't be certain until it is taken apart. It isn't weeping oil it is grease.

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
I have been quoted 1339 per axle plus shipping to Canada

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
PM Sent.

MTDGT

GT Owner