Hagerty has jumped the shark.

ottawa1967

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2019
Any of you guys have to sign something like this? I have 4 other cars with Hagerty and this is the only car they are adding this to.

NPCF RUW Restricted Usage Warranty
2005 Ford GT
This form defines and restricts the meaning of 'pleasure only' as stated on the Certificate of Insurance as follows: 
The vehicle(s) described above will be exclusively used for hobby a/o collector car activities; 
The vehicle(s) described above will not be used for regular transportation including, but not limited to commuting to and from work or school, shopping, running errands, business, vacationing or as a temporary substitute vehicle; 
The vehicle(s) described above will only be used for other than hobby and/or collector car activities to facilitate repair and maintenance of the vehicle(s);

They say I'm not covered to run an errand with the car!!! Can't take it for a weekend vacation. This is new to me.
I want to enjoy my car. Not stare at it in the garage.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
You should call Drew at Classic Auto. He's one of our forum supporters & a GT owner. Many of us use him & Classic. Good guy.

Ed

Reactions: Simon and tpraceman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Any of you guys have to sign something like this? I have 4 other cars with Hagerty and this is the only car they are adding this to.

NPCF RUW Restricted Usage Warranty
2005 Ford GT
This form defines and restricts the meaning of 'pleasure only' as stated on the Certificate of Insurance as follows: 
The vehicle(s) described above will be exclusively used for hobby a/o collector car activities; 
The vehicle(s) described above will not be used for regular transportation including, but not limited to commuting to and from work or school, shopping, running errands, business, vacationing or as a temporary substitute vehicle; 
The vehicle(s) described above will only be used for other than hobby and/or collector car activities to facilitate repair and maintenance of the vehicle(s);

They say I'm not covered to run an errand with the car!!! Can't take it for a weekend vacation. This is new to me.
I want to enjoy my car. Not stare at it in the garage.

Dump 'em.

Last edited:

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Speak with your wallet and dump coverage for all cars, that clause is insane....its not like this is a 250 GTO.

I'm generally OK with mileage restrictions for specialty cars, but they can't dictate how I use it.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
You’re making me want to scour my policy. If this is in there, I’m gone.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Don’t sign that. Get coverage elsewhere.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hmmm, I seem to recall Drew's policies had such language... The collector car policies are built around these are not grocery getters. Otherwise just go with standard writers.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I'd be very cautious... I had Hagerty on my 05 and asked them - in advance - about coverage for a long trip (~4000 miles) and they said no problem. On the next renewal, they cancelled me for driving the car too much.

There are better and more cost effective options out there.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hmmm, I seem to recall Drew's policies had such language... The collector car policies are built around these are not grocery getters. Otherwise just go with standard writers.

I agree for the most part, but:

"The vehicle(s) described above will be exclusively used for hobby a/o collector car activities"

...which are? 'Not defined (at least in the OP's post). What are they? 'Waaaaaaaaaay too vague (and, ya, I know it's very commonly included language in such policies. That's the case for a reason).

"The vehicle(s) described above will not be used for regular transportation including, BUT NOT LIMITED TO..."

Basically, the "not limited to" means the company can define/classify/include any activity it wishes in the no-no category...and very likely will if a 'big dollar' claim is involved. IMPO Houdini didn't have as many 'escape' options as insurance companies.

But, as you suggest above, Tony, all my vehicles are covered by standard policies...with "declared value" where appropriate. Reason? The above. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks in order to stand a better chance of actually being covered.

JMPO. OMV...and undoubtedly will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Sims

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I had a few issues as well, with another carrier, and moved over to the cooperators. this was a referral from
one of our fgt members.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
Call Drew!!!

Joe

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
They don't like GT's
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/08/16/woodward-drag-race-in-worlds-worst-ford-gt

Obviously they do right by many others but for me and my cars we like Drew, who supports this forum and was also at Petit Lemans this year supporting our group.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I’m involved in insurance litigation daily. Don’t assume anything. Read and understand your policy. What your agent tells you doesn’t count.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Hagerty has "paid the price of repairs" once too often, I'm sure.

However, via their wordsmithing, they are telling you when, how and where you can use YOUR car. Track day use, driving skill days, etc where the first limitations of "insurable usage " exclusions.

GT's are to me, and many of you, are not "hobby" cars. I choose to insure mine with a "standard" policy.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
When I use it, I commute to work!

Joe

Drew@ClassicAuto

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
This may only be specific for Canadian Hagerty Policies. I have an email into my contact at Hagerty USA to clarify.

Reactions: steved57

Drew@ClassicAuto

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
Per my contact at Hagerty USA, the clause you reference is mandated language by Ontario Province for pleasure use policies. If they do not use that language than the province interprets that Hagerty Canada can then accept drivers for regular auto insurance which as we all know they are not setup for. Hagerty USA clients do not see that language in their policies.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
EP, Sounds like policy is made for ya... since ya don't drive

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Per my contact at Hagerty USA, the clause you reference is mandated language by Ontario Province for pleasure use policies. If they do not use that language than the province interprets that Hagerty Canada can then accept drivers for regular auto insurance which as we all know they are not setup for. Hagerty USA clients do not see that language in their policies.

when ya going to be able to write policies for NC?

Drew@ClassicAuto

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
PM sent