GTX1, Whipple and Bony

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Bony, because you are the Whipple Answer Man, and assumping no one else knows the factual answer, please use your considerable resources with Whipple to find out if the 1 3/8 inch minimum glass clearance for the stock SC on the GTX1 is sufficient to accommodate the Whipple. I want to get one if it will fit, and suspect others will also. Thanks in advance.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
No it will not

If i do it will have to be my yellow with pulley and all the other goodies.

Aug 25, 2006
I just measured both from the mounting plate and near as I can see the OEM is approximately 5 1/2" at the highest point whereas the Whipple is approximately 6 3/4" at the highest point for a differecne of 1 1/4"

These are tape measure numbers.... as such close but not perfect

I hope that this helps

Shadowman

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks, Shadowman. Sounds like a tight fit which in and of itself has some appeal :thumbsup . Maybe i can get Genaddi to commit to a bubble glass if the Whipple ends up hitting the standard X1 glass.

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks, Shadowman. Sounds like a tight fit which in and of itself has some appeal :thumbsup . Maybe i can get Genaddi to commit to a bubble glass if the Whipple ends up hitting the standard X1 glass.

You are welcome

If more exacting measurements are needed let me know; I too agree that it sounds snug which could make the assembly appear even larger when viewed through the glass however the torque of the engine may cause these measures to become even tighter.

All the best

Shadowman

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Kirby, either that or a raised glass.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kirby, yesterday I hooked up Yogi with Dustin... I hope he has the answers for you. Looks like Bill has given you some number, I was reluctant to tape measure anything because it does seem tight. Have to tell you, it is the way to go.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Kirby, yesterday I hooked up Yogi with Dustin... I hope he has the answers for you. Looks like Bill has given you some number, I was reluctant to tape measure anything because it does seem tight. Have to tell you, it is the way to go.

Put a couple 'lumps of silly putty here & there where you 'figger' the least clearance is ...close the clam shell ...then when you reopen it, the putty will show you 'ZACTLY what the clearance is.:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Put a couple 'lumps of silly putty here & there where you 'figger' the least clearance is ...close the clam shell ...then when you reopen it, the putty will show you 'ZACTLY what the clearance is.:thumbsup

Larry, the issue is not the height from the Whipple to the clamshell on my GT, but the height of a yet to be fitted Whipple on the modified clamshell of Kirby's car. There are so many different measuring points, I felt that Dustin could measure on the bench his huffer versus the stock pos.:rofl :rofl otay?:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Larry, the issue is not the height from the Whipple to the clamshell on my GT, but the height of a yet to be fitted Whipple on the modified clamshell of Kirby's car. There are so many different measuring points, I felt that Dustin could measure on the bench his huffer versus the stock pos.:rofl :rofl otay?:thumbsup

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! WELL, in THAT case, do the same "putty" thing to the STOCK blower now on Kirby's car ....measure the clearance THAT reveals ... and then SUBTRACT the "extra" height of the Whipple from the existing "stocker's" clearance in the suspected trouble areas. That'll give 'ZACT clearances w/o actually doing the swap & finding out the hard way. 'ZERO margin for error.:biggrin

The putty method WILL tell yuh exactly what yuh wanna know. Instantly. 'Guaranteed. (I've used it several times building cars over the years.)

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

You still playing with clay Larry? I have moved on to girls!:banana :willy :eek :willy :banana

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You still playing with clay Larry? I have moved on to girls!:banana :willy :eek :willy :banana

As we grow older, we regress. I'm now re-entering childhood ... after having passed thru the more expensive "girl" phase. :frown

Aug 25, 2006
I have one sitting in front me; what measurements would you like?

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have one sitting in front me; what measurements would you like?

Shadowman

HELLO Bill,
If you can compare a measurement from bench to highest point on both blowers. They are trying to determine if the Whipple will fit under their hatch.
That should do it.
Cheers,
daniel

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
HELLO Bill,
If you can compare a measurement from bench to highest point on both blowers. They are trying to determine if the Whipple will fit under their hatch.
That should do it.
Cheers,
daniel

They STILL need to know the clearance the "stocker" has under the hatch! CLAY TIME!:rofl :rofl :rofl

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Well Larry,
Bet you a case of Makers Mark, that Mark has stock FGT's there to take every possible measurement. Including dressing left or right and trouser inseams! :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well Larry,
Bet you a case of Makers Mark, that Mark has stock FGT's there to take every possible measurement. Including dressing left or right and trouser inseams! :)

MEBBE! BUT, HOW'S HE GUNNA MEASURE SQUAT WHEN THE HATCH IS SHUT!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Larry, as I already stated, I never measure anything, much less squat.
We turn to you for your vision on measuring squat:)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Larry, as I already stated, I never measure anything...

Well, NOW I'm beginning to understand how you come to have so many problems in these areas!:willy :willy :willy

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Bony, Bill and Larry. Thank you for your inputs. We did the putty thing which is how we came up with the 1 3/8 " minimum clearance for the stock SC. Dustin provided Yogi with various measurements for the Whipple but didn't have a stock SC to compare. Bill's measurement indicating a 1 1/4" difference between the 2 units would seem to indicate that the Whipple will fit with 1/8" clearance, but as Bill indicated there may be some other variables including engine movement under hard acceleration. Hopefully we'll get this sorted out over the next few days and post an informed opinion if there is one to be determined.