GT tires and cold weather?

RMaximillian

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2009
Ok - so I'm completely aware to take it easy on the cold weather, but the other day someone told me that driving in the cold actually will damage the tires due to cracking? Any truth to this?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Ok - so I'm completely aware to take it easy on the cold weather, but the other day someone told me that driving in the cold actually will damage the tires due to cracking? Any truth to this?

:bs

You've been talking to someone that wants to sell you tires.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
This is once again a good time to remind everyone that its time to be extremely careful with the cold weather and our FGTs. Each year we hear of a few casualties of driving in cold weather. Even in the southwest its time to be careful. Lets keep these gals, and ourselves, good to go for another day...

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
cold streets early morning

I notice here in AZ that even after 30 min of driving if the weather cooled off the night before and I,am taking a drive around 9am, there will still be more tire spin than in a early summer morning drive.
The tires may be warmed up but the pavement still on the cold side. I,am just more cautious and I still enjoy getting the car out and and getting home safe. I do at times take a right turn and kick the ass out a little:)!
All our cars are garaged and there never any chance of cracking tire BS.
If I have to wait till it warms up then there is always more traffic which I,am not a fan of!!
For example after a 80 mile run 2 wks ago I was just past Athem AZ. 10 miles from home in the fast lane and some bastard kick up a rock off the windshield. Luckily it bounced of and there was no damage but it scared the crap out of me.
Thats the main reason when I go for a cruise in AZ I like to get out early because of traffic. So its really tuff in the winter months going to early because of the cold road conditions.
The Gt guys stated it was a huge job to replace one of the windshields and I think they said you have to remove the fenders.
Bottom line 12 months a year is be careful.

Attachments

• Gt Burn out 3.JPG
    Gt Burn out 3.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 188

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
DA TC :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
RMax, the tires usually crack and degrade due to UV light exposure..

BillyRay, you need a windshield skin. Mine has saved me many times.