GT Sets benchmark time in Car and Driver

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Apologies to those who find this old news, but I wanted to share a few comments on a recent magazine article. For those who do not know...

In the latest edition of Car and Driver Magazine (November 06) they propose a new comprehensive comparitive timing test for cars, similar to what we have seen happening in europe at the Nurburgring. The theory behind the test is that it will be a superior barometer of overall performance when compared with traditional straight line testing.

To inaugurate the experiment, they tested and timed seventeen cars, including a couple of heavy hitters like the Viper and ZO6. Only one car ran in the above $120,000 category, (they call it "LL4"), our beloved GT.

Guess what? The GT bested them all and has now set the time to beat at VIR. Granted, the ever inspiring F430 was not included in this test, nor was the Gallardo. It will be very interesting to observe the test as it continues in future issues. I was relieved to see that the particular GT tested was a new Heritage, so at least the liklihood of it being a beat down, abused press car was somewhat diminished (The last comparitive european test featured in Road and Track included what I think is the sole european press car, a Red 05).

Anyway, I was particularly pleased at the favorable comments that the GT garnered. :thumbsup

I have subscribed to many auto mags for the past twenty years (I'm 42), and have found Car and Driver to generally be most accurate and reflective of my own tastes. Now, if they will just test the F430 and Gallardo without the super sticky P Zero Corsa tires, we may have an honest comparison.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Well, I think that if the F430 and the Gallardo had shown up that they would easily placed 2nd and 3rd. That is why Ferrari doesn't want to put out cars for magazine testing. The magazines many times have had to go to private parties for test cars. But, truthfully, the best car is the one that gives you the best overall experience and that may not show up in lap times. Of course the GT would shine in that respect too. :thumbsup

I noticed not any Porsches in the top classes. It would have been interesting to see the different 911 variations.

I was glad to see Car and Driver note the Lotus tire difference in comparison to the Road and Track fiasco that made their testing "less than accurate." And I am being kind to R&T with my choice of words. :wink In this month's R&T issue they picked a very bland letter on the DOT tire issue and back peddled without really acknowledging how much a mistake they made. :thumbsdow

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make myself realize that I really do own one of the worlds premier sports cars! I don't pretend to be able to drive it at even 7/10ths of it's abilities but I'm proud as hell to just own it. Magazine tests like this just reinforce that pride. :thumbsup

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
W. Mitty,

Bart was the first on this forum to notice the non-stock race tires the Italians snuck in for the Road and Track test.

I am not surprised Road and Track did not loudly express "mea culpa": they were either duped or just plain sloppy in their reporting/testing.

Eric

Last edited:

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
TEXAS GT said:
Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make myself realize that I really do own one of the worlds premier sports cars! I don't pretend to be able to drive it at even 7/10ths of it's abilities but I'm proud as hell to just own it. Magazine tests like this just reinforce that pride. :thumbsup

Texas GT, my sentiments exactly. I feel like that every time I drive. Certainly, we should take magazine articles with a grain of salt. Having said that, If I had to pick a magazine that was most likely to get it right, it would have to be C&D.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That car was in fact a beat down press car. I think it's for sale now, but I'm not sure. I know the guy who drove that time, which I believe was set the first week in August or late July. We made it a point to have him tell everyone at the Friday dinner we had at the Ford GT Forum Rally.

The Italians and Germans were invited to the test, but they politely declined. Gee I wonder why. :wink

The best part is indeed the comments. Lap time is nice to see, as well as max speed, but any car can made to be fast. The confidence inspiring, solid, stable and utterly smooth driving experience is what makes the car really worth it. Oh, that and its by far the best looking car in that test...

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
TEXAS GT said:

Cannot Agree More!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Hey Ripper,

It was good to meet you at the Frisco event Monday night. You car looks great with the twin turbos. Next time you'll have to take me for a ride in it.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Hey there Vince (White Petunia) how ya' doin?

According to the Ferrari site, no option for Pirelli Corsas is shown, although a myriad of interior options are listed. I'll defer to you and as a F430 owner on this one. Maybe Bart can comment as well.

Even so, does Lamborghini have Corsas options too? Also R&T did not list the tires as optional equipment. I think at a minimum R&T should have mentioned the Corsa racing tires...

Eric

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
EasyEric said:
I think at a minimum R&T should have mentioned the Corsa racing tires...

Eric

exactly

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
Fubar said:
Hey Ripper,

It was good to meet you at the Frisco event Monday night. You car looks great with the twin turbos. Next time you'll have to take me for a ride in it.

Great to meet you as well !!!

I dont know if I will be there this monday but I will be around
somewhere next week...

You definintly have a co-pilot seet waiting :thumbsup

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Fubar said:
Hey Ripper,

Damn! I didn't know there was a turbo car here in town! I may have to trade you a ride in that thing for a ride in my pullied car! :lol

Apr 24, 2006
EasyEric said:
Hey there Vince (White Petunia) how ya' doin?

According to the Ferrari site, no option for Pirelli Corsas is shown, although a myriad of interior options are listed. I'll defer to you and as a F430 owner on this one. Maybe Bart can comment as well.

Even so, does Lamborghini have Corsas options too? Also R&T did not list the tires as optional equipment. I think at a minimum R&T should have mentioned the Corsa racing tires...

Eric

Yes, the Lamborghini option is "Track Pack". Includes the Corsas, Alcantara steering wheel and sport tuned suspension.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
JohnMichaelSawyer said:
Yes, the Lamborghini option is "Track Pack". Includes the Corsas, Alcantara steering wheel and sport tuned suspension.

Affirmative -- I special ordered my 06 Gallardo with the Track Pack and it had the stickys on it. Pity I didn't get to drive it more before I got the GT bug again and sold it ... Oh well, no regrets now; I just got in from driving the GT this afternoon :thumbsup

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
Big Carrot said:
Damn! I didn't know there was a turbo car here in town! I may have to trade you a ride in that thing for a ride in my pullied car! :lol

Have to hook up for a beverage sometime Carrot...

Im not too far away :cheers

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
The problem with the C & D thing is that the cars might have used different drivers. That makes a huge difference. Also, if they go back to the track and everything is not exactly the same, the results are worthless. Top Gear does a similar thing on their runway with "stig" (fictional driver so u can't complain when it's a different guy). But they compare cars running in the dry vs. cars running in the wet. In the winter the cold air makes more power but then the tires get less grip. Etc. And of course the biggest difference is tires, and even more so, the age and heat cycles of that particular set of tires.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Of course no testing scenario is perfect, but a magazine should be honest about the variables being tested. R&T failed to do this in regard to the tires on the Lambo Gallardo and F430. But I think C&D was a little more honest. They used 4 drivers who were assigned to 4 or 5 cars. Each driver cycled through the cars running about 3-5 laps each. "Since there are testing variables that can skew data--a car will run faster when it's 70 degrees outside, for example, than when it's 90--the drivers cycled through the cars a second time." The recorded lap times were the best produced that day.

Of course, I am glad that they are testing vehicles at VIR...great track with a little of everything. I have never run the Grand Course but I have run the Full course a few times. And it's only a little over an hour away!

Last edited:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Re VIR - you are so lucky. I have only seen it via races on TV but one can tell it's a fabulous track. Gotta love that one oak tree at the center of that corner, I believe it's the last before the straight? Anyway, it looks ecellent.