GT Service

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
I was wondering if you GT owners think that Ferrari and Lambo owners sweat it out going to the dealer for an oil change?
I can't believe the anxiety this produces for me (and apparently, many others).
Me and other local GT owners have called every Ford dealer in the area and (I) can tell you uniformly, none have yet performed an oil change on a GT, and some actually won't even attempt it.
I find it hard to believe that an Enzo owner would have this issue.

Last edited:

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
RS, I have owned both and have never had a moments concern taking either of them in for an oil change or other service. Ferrari and Lambo dealerships know how to service their cars and also know how to handle the cars and the customers they service. Can't say the same about Ford dealerships. Most of the Ford dealerships I have visited don't seem to have the knowledge or the "savy" to service a car of this caliber. My two cents... pd :ack :ack

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I said it before and I'll say it again. For routine oil changes, find a nice clean shop with a 4-post lift. To be safe, bring along a couple of 18" sections of 2x8 or 2x12 just to make sure you can get up the ramps without scraping.

Having done the oil change, the only trick is that it is difficult to lift the car correctly with a 2-post lift. Not so with a 4-post.

Once lifted, it is VERY easy to remove the pans... there's just a lot of screws but no magic to remove or install them.

Ford advises to change the oil filter cartridge first - before lifting. Get that done, lift it, and remove three drain plugs. Two in the "pan" and one from the reservoir. Let it drain, and put it all back together. No bigee!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
nota4re said:
I said it before and I'll say it again. For routine oil changes, find a nice clean shop with a 4-post lift. To be safe, bring along a couple of 18" sections of 2x8 or 2x12 just to make sure you can get up the ramps without scraping.

Having done the oil change, the only trick is that it is difficult to lift the car correctly with a 2-post lift. Not so with a 4-post.

Once lifted, it is VERY easy to remove the pans... there's just a lot of screws but no magic to remove or install them.

Ford advises to change the oil filter cartridge first - before lifting. Get that done, lift it, and remove three drain plugs. Two in the "pan" and one from the reservoir. Let it drain, and put it all back together. No bigee!
And don't forget your magnetic drain plugs!
www.gtsaver.com

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
rsilverman said:
I was wondering if you GT owners think that Ferrari and Lambo owners sweat it out going to the dealer for an oil change?
Me and other local GT owners have called every Ford dealer in the area and (I) can tell you uniformly, none have yet performed an oil change on a GT, and some actually won't even attempt it.

I see you still can't make up your mind. I have provided you with the name of a dealer in your area that sells and services, so what is the problem? Do it your self or pay some one to do it. It's no big deal for a Ford dealer to do the oil change.

Dave

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
rsilverman said:
You should consider the fact that Ferrari and Lambo owners don't have 8500 dealers to choose from. It is unrealistic to expect 8500 dealers to be up to speed on a car of which only 4000 were built and they are likely never going to see IMHO.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
DBGT, you're so right! Here in the UK (when I had my Murcielago) there was one dealer only in the UK that could service it (officially and mine was brand new) - and they crashed mine, badly repaired it and lied about it. So yes, I did sweat whenever I needed it serviced!

We're really lucky in the UK to have Roush who know the GT inside out and are really terrific people - five star service. They make Lamborghini (sales and servicing) seem a bunch of amateurs in comparison - which they are.

RSilverman, yes an Enzo owner does have this problem - I promise you - compounded by the fact that the Enzo is considerably more expensive.

Take Dave's advice - he knows you know!