GT School making a comeback…..Who’s interested?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Sky,

as for me, I'm alternate weeks which are currently (for example) THIS week. Fri to Fri. I have the young 'uns until the 3rd of Oct and then the 10-17 etc. In Feb this should be the first week to the 6th and then the 13th to the 20th. So I'd be free Feb 7-12 and 21-26. Or something like that. I have a hard enough time trying to figure this out, I'm not sure how you're going to do it :wink

My buddy, Kev, is free pretty much anytime.

EDIT - Feb is not set in stone for me. Whatever works. As long as my car is back to me by the end of March so I can drive it on the roads up here when the snow has all melted. :thumbsup I'll give you more accurate dates for Kev and I (and maybe spdemonjay) when TallCarGuy has some more track time feedback. :cheers

Glad I don't have to worry about snow anymore. :thumbsdow

So 'Fly...the season is about to start. Are you a hard core Oilers fan, or are you a transplant up there. Just got the NHL package on my cable so I am ready for some games!!!! I still think the Pens have a good shot to get back this year....barring injury of course. :biggrin

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Glad I don't have to worry about snow anymore. :thumbsdow

So 'Fly...the season is about to start. Are you a hard core Oilers fan, or are you a transplant up there. Just got the NHL package on my cable so I am ready for some games!!!! I still think the Pens have a good shot to get back this year....barring injury of course. :biggrin

OK, we're going OT here, but what the hey, you started it! :cheers HARD CORE OILERS FAN!! I saw Gretz get 50 in 39. I played Hockey with Coco (Fuhrsie). I vividly recall the wild boys on the bus days, and the attendant Stanley Cup runs (although I was in law school for two of them, and when Gretz got traded). I'm still a season's ticket holder, and passionately recall the magical run to the finals from a few years ago.

So now that we've established the hockey core, maybe we should arrange GT school for when there is a Kings game (or even a Ducks game so I could Boo Pronger) going on for an evening's entertainment.

And while I love the Oil, Cup6in09 baby!!!, the Pens have a GREAT shot at it!! That's the most talent laden lineup since the Gretz/Messier and Lemieux/Jagr days!!! Detroit's just got to be too old to do it again!!! But d*mn, they're good too!!!

And now for the segue that brings this OT back ON topic, we CAN'T do the GT School on January 18 (well, I can't anyway) since that's Glenn Anderson's Oilers jersey retirement game. I haven't missed any Oily retirement games, so can't miss this one either. :thumbsup

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Ok Guys,

There are quite a few dates available in February, but given the direction the discussion has taken I want to clarify a few things. First, my plan has always been to run these Schools on the Big Track at Willow Springs and possibly other high speed venues across the US. Several students and potential students have expressed an interest in more of a "car control clinic" type of school with skid pad work and possibly even some drifting instruction. To do this would require renting the Streets Of Willow course instead of the Big Track.

For those of you wishing to learn to drive you car very fast, in a safe environment, with max speeds in the 140 to 150 mph range we would need to conduct the GT School on the Big Track at Willow Springs. For those that don't really have a strong interest in the high speed aspect, the Streets of Willow will allow 100+ mph speeds along with skid pad work and more technical training. I'll leave the choice up to you gentlemen.

As far as dates, February was just an arbitrary suggestion. I am open to anything in November, December, January, February or March. I, of course, don't have EVERY week day available but I'm sure we could find a reasonable compromise for everybody. Typically I like to arrive the evening before, stay at a decent local hotel and offer to host a dinner for all those students interested in meeting the instructors and staff before the event. That's just something else to think about.

Let me know your thoughts,

Richard Hille
Hille Racing, Inc.
The GT School

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi Richard.

As for the type of instruction, they BOTH sound amazing. Hmm, high speed driving control or skid pad/drifting and technical. As we're coming all the way from Canada, shipping cars and getting robbed blind on airfare, any chance of doing a TWO day school, one of each? Not everyone would need or want to do both days, but Kev and I quite likely would want to. :thumbsup I'm pretty sure that Sky could be coerced also.....:wink

Just throwing it out there.......:cheers

Thanks

Pro

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Superfly/Pro,

I would be open to a two day event. Lets see what everybody else thinks. Everyone needs to understand that you would have to plan on double the School fee. My thought would be to do the Streets school/technical session on the first day and move up to the Big Track on the second day to find the REAL speed and refine the skills learned the day before.

Richard Hille
Hille Racing, Inc.
The GT School

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi Richard,

consider that we (well, Kev and I anyway) will need to pay for return transport of the cars from/to Canada, along with accomodations, meals and airfare for us and our girlfriends (just one each :thumbsup). Double the school fee is, sadly, probably one of the smaller parts of that equation. :frown

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm hoping that even if there aren't enough that want to do TWO days, cumulatively there will be sufficient numbers to allow both days to occur with some of us being able to partake in both. And like I've intimated above, while an extra $2000 is not chump change, it's a small percentage in the overall costs of getting our cars and ourselves down there.

Oh, and by the way, it's a nickname, but it is "Pro". :cheers

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
School

I am not interested in the Big Willow part of the school but would be VERY interested in the Streets day, if that comes about.

Keep me posted and I will be prepared to respond as we all move forward.

Jim

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'm with JimF. Drive at high speed is simply driving at high speed; however, car control techniques are more challenging and rare of an occassion to arrange (at least to me, away). So, I vote for the street course with skid pad.

Thx

Ed

GT4JR

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2006
Yorba Linda, California
2 day driving school

I am interested in both days (or one day) and any day/month in 09; I have never driven my GT on a track nor pushed it to its limits; so I would love to do both days, and also come in one night before the actual school day as TallCarGuy suggested to meet everyone!
Count me in! :banana

PS: How far is Willow Springs from Orange County?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
PS: How far is Willow Springs from Orange County?

According to Google Maps, it's 128 miles from Yorba Linda - it's located in Rosamond, CA, between Lancaster/Palmdale and Mojave, north of Los Angeles off of SR 14.

Driving directions to Willow Springs, California
128 mi – about 2 hours 16 mins (up to 3 hours 30 mins in traffic)
Yorba Linda, CA

1. Head east on Yorba Linda Blvd toward Village Center Dr 2.2 mi
2. Continue on N Weir Canyon Rd 0.3 mi
3. Merge onto CA-91 W/Riverside Fwy W via the ramp to Los Angeles 14.4 mi
4. Take the exit onto I-5 N 47.2 mi
5. Take the State Hwy 14 N exit toward Lancaster/Palmdale 0.7 mi
6. Merge onto CA-14 N 54.6 mi
7. Take exit 55 toward Rosamond 0.2 mi
8. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Tropico/Willow Springs 397 ft
9. Turn left at W Rosamond Blvd 6.8 mi
10. Turn right at 90th St W/Tehachapi Willow Springs Rd
Continue to follow 90th St W 1.4 mi

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I doubt that I can give up two days during the week, which really translates to 1/2 day before and afterwards to and from. Lets see what the dates look like.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Gentlemen,

Each student could chose which day or both. I would still need a minimum of six per day and a max of eight per day. So now it comes down to which two days we would like and who wants to sign up for hose days.

Lets start this on a really basic level. Which month works for each of you?

Richard Hille
Hille racing, Inc.
The GT School

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Richard, for me anyway:

Jan 10-15, 24-29
Feb - Well, 7-12, 21-26 but I'll delete those out of hopes of having GTED there.
March 7-12, 21-26

Both Kev and I would be interested in both days, so that's tentatively 2 slots on each of those. Of course I'm assuming the days would be back to back or near to that.

And Sky, I really hope this works out for everyone, but in advance, thanks for trying to arrange all of this!!! :cheers :thumbsup

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Wow, lots of action since I checked e-mail last night. :lol

Due to business constraints I can only get away for one day and I was planning on driving in the morning of the event and driving back directly after. I can do almost any weekday, but I can't do two weekdays in a row....and to channel my inner Ricky Bobby...."I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast!!!". :biggrin I dropped out of Stunts event because I was more interested in the big track with instruction.

That said a lot of the interested people are thinking of traveling great distances and have a bit more expendture involved that I will. So if the group goes a different direction I will understand and go pout for the day like I did during the rally. :wink

So put me down for one day of the big fast track on a day that works for the majority but not too close to the holidays. February is bad for GTED, so I am open to January and March. Thanks for all your work towards making this happen Richard. It is interesting trying to coordinate so many busy people's schedules. :cheers

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Richard, for me anyway:

Jan 10-15, 24-29
Feb - Well, 7-12, 21-26 but I'll delete those out of hopes of having GTED there.
March 7-12, 21-26

I'll do the one-day Street Track on car controls/skid pad. I can do:

Nov: any day between 11/12 to 11/20
Dec: any day other than Xmas time
Jan: any day
March: any day

Thank you Pro, you're are a pal. Installed your Heffner yet?

Ed

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Thank you Pro, you're are a pal. Installed your Heffner yet?

Ed

:cheers Parts are stuck at the border. :frown When it came time to order, I decided to get the GT700 kit PLUS the exhaust. (basically everything in the 750 kit except the headers). So what's going to happen is it'll all arrive just in time to put the car away for the winter. :bored I hope it's all installed PERFECTLY because the newly tuned car's first use will be on the track with all the new stuff on it!! :thumbsup

Hey, on another note, who around Cali can do the T&A lowering perches? I'm thinking maybe we should call Alex and see if we can get a skyrex organized track days group buy/group install on these at around the same time (preferably just BEFORE the track days! :biggrin) Is this OT now?? Sorry.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
What time do these sessions start and finish at?? The track is 3 to 3.5 drive from Fresno.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, I have another buddy who's going to close on a GT hopefully tomorrow. Perfect, just in time to put it away for the winter :lol

So we're almost certainly going to be THREE cars coming down for BOTH days. My $0.02 is to have the school in early March. But I'm easy as to whenever it will be.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by proposing to add my other buddy too. Thanks guys. :cheers

As an aside, if he closes on it, we're doing a hangar photo shoot on Saturday morning. We're doing the shoot anyway, but it'll be muy bueno if we have 3 GTs for it. I'll post some pics when it's done.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Well, I have another buddy who's going to close on a GT hopefully tomorrow. Perfect, just in time to put it away for the winter :lol

So we're almost certainly going to be THREE cars coming down for BOTH days. My $0.02 is to have the school in early March. But I'm easy as to whenever it will be.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by proposing to add my other buddy too. Thanks guys. :cheers

As an aside, if he closes on it, we're doing a hangar photo shoot on Saturday morning. We're doing the shoot anyway, but it'll be muy bueno if we have 3 GTs for it. I'll post some pics when it's done.

Glad I got my GT before they all end up in Canada. :lol I know you were upset about missing the Rally 'Fly, but you don't have to create Rally Canada with your buddies to get over it. :rofl

What color is your friend looking at? I have had a good experience with Tungsten. :thumbsup

Bony the times I saw mentioned were 8:00 am start and 5:00 pm end. I got 175 mile trip so I am hoping less than two hours :biggrin .....but will be giving it three hours so I can be the early bird. :wink

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Glad I got my GT before they all end up in Canada. :lol I know you were upset about missing the Rally 'Fly, but you don't have to create Rally Canada with your buddies to get over it. :rofl

What color is your friend looking at? I have had a good experience with Tungsten. :thumbsup

:lol:lol:lol Actually, no fear, it too is a Canadian Car. He wanted a tungsten but is settling (if you can call it that :rofl) for a Red one. Of course like someone once said, these are like potato chips, you can't stop at one. So maybe the US fleet is not safe from us crazy canucks yet! :willy

As for Rally Canada, I'm just trying to save myself some shipping costs by booking and filling the whole dang trailer!! :banana :wink