GT Questions-What Would You Change?

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Hey Guys,

My first post here and thanks to Chip for letting me in.
I am about to purchase two GT's, one to remain relatively stock and the other will be all out crazy.
I have owned just about every exotic with the exception of Lambo and Bugatti. Ferraris are becoming a bit sterile for me and the DBS, well its an Aston, too refined.
I tried to buy a GT when they first hit the ground but paying twice the sticker was crazy. Now with the prices where they are, it makes perfect sense. Then when I saw all of the AM gear available and the mods, I got really excited.
I live close to Houston so I will most probably go with Hennesy for obvious reasons. I willl be visting his shop next Tuesday and checking out the two TT's he has.
Here is my first pass regarding my planned changes;
1. TT-SC with all the Hennessy bells and whistles
2. Headers and exhaust upgrade...not sure which one
3. Coilover suspension
4. HRE 19" F & 20" R wheels, Michelin PS2
5. Chrome engine base bars & sub frame bars
6. Ewing CF interior trim
7. Rear bumper delete
8. Buttons, I love em!
9. Seriously considering the "pop up doors"
This is my list so far and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys may have. I am not in a hurry (actually I am) because I want to get it right the first time. I know it won't but at least I can try.
Thanks,
Rocky

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Hey Guys,

My first post here and thanks to Chip for letting me in.
I am about to purchase two GT's, one to remain relatively stock and the other will be all out crazy.
I have owned just about every exotic with the exception of Lambo and Bugatti. Ferraris are becoming a bit sterile for me and the DBS, well its an Aston, too refined.
I tried to buy a GT when they first hit the ground but paying twice the sticker was crazy. Now with the prices where they are, it makes perfect sense. Then when I saw all of the AM gear available and the mods, I got really excited.
I live close to Houston so I will most probably go with Hennesy for obvious reasons. I willl be visting his shop next Tuesday and checking out the two TT's he has.
Here is my first pass regarding my planned changes;
1. TT-SC with all the Hennessy bells and whistles
2. Headers and exhaust upgrade...not sure which one
3. Coilover suspension
4. HRE 19" F & 20" R wheels, Michelin PS2
5. Chrome engine base bars & sub frame bars
6. Ewing CF interior trim
7. Rear bumper delete
8. Buttons, I love em!
9. Seriously considering the "pop up doors"
This is my list so far and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys may have. I am not in a hurry (actually I am) because I want to get it right the first time. I know it won't but at least I can try.
Thanks,
Rocky

Welcome to our little bit of insanity- as a GT owner (x2).

You should consider the Stillen splash guards and rear splitter. And also their HD clutch.

Keep us up to date on your GT adventure.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Cool. Welcome to the club (X2, wow, great way to start!!!). I agree with Jeff, FFRP short shift and Stillen Clutch!!!

Looks like your toughest choice is going to be color!! :thumbsup

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Welcome to our little bit of insanity- as a GT owner (x2).

You should consider the Stillen splash guards and rear splitter. And also their HD clutch.

Keep us up to date on your GT adventure.

Thanks Jeff, duly noted and added to the excel spreadsheet!

One thing I forgot to ask in my original post is if any of you have upgraded or recommend a brake upgrade. It would seem that you could shave some weight with ceramic if they are available? I had them on my last Ferrari and they were the cats pajamas.

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Cool. Welcome to the club (X2, wow, great way to start!!!).

Looks like your toughest choice is going to be color!! :thumbsup

Yes, you are correct! John made a great recommendation regarding color, get white or red for the beast and black, blue or tungsten for the stock car. His reasoning, you want them too see you coming in the beast!

Last edited:

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Is your 'stock' car going to be a 'daily' or will it be bubble wrapped? I added a comment between my edit and your reply, definitely get the ford short shifter as well. That and the stillen clutch are the biggest "feel" differences beyond power upgrades in my opinion, because every time you shift, you get to feel them both.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Tranny Cooler and GT Guys rear hatch release is a must have.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Mac Relocate?

Double Din Radio?

The pe2unia rear clams shell billet aluminum replacements - stock or wild?

Hot seat buttons?

Valentine V1 or some other countermeasure?

Accufab bolts and intake stiffner (stock)?

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Is your 'stock' car going to be a 'daily' or will it be bubble wrapped? I added a comment between my edit and your reply, definitely get the ford short shifter as well. That and the stillen clutch are the biggest "feel" differences beyond power upgrades in my opinion, because every time you shift, you get to feel them both.

I will not drive either of them that much. I will most likely just change the pulley on the stock car. When I sold my DB7 GT it had 2471 miles on it. Thanks and I will resarch those too!

Tranny Cooler and GT Guys rear hatch release is a must have.

The hatch release, I missed that one.

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Mac Relocate?

Double Din Radio?

The pe2unia rear clams shell billet aluminum replacements - stock or wild?

Hot seat buttons?

Valentine V1 or some other countermeasure?

Accufab bolts and intake stiffner (stock)?

I really appreciate all of the replies and advice!

Strangely enough, one of my close friends designed the Mac system for the GT and he said leave it alone. I probably will just listen to music from the engine anyway. Funny note, I had a 360 coupe and I never once turned on the radio, I did roll the windows down a lot!

Billet-must be wild for the beast

V-1 I have a few but I am researching jammers

Accufab-most likely, I will have a better idea Tuesday, man am I excited and so is my helmet!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Strangely enough, one of my close friends designed the Mac system for the GT and he said leave it alone.

good - sounds like we found the engineer responsible and with the bad case of tunnel vision! :rofl

I relocated it for better vision - not sound......

Good luck :cheers

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Cooltech tranny cooler and charger system, Safecraft fire extinguisher system, Ford Racing coil covers, Project 321 tank caps and shifter boot replacement, aluminum engine bay vents...the list goes on and on.:lol

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
good - sounds like we found the engineer responsible and with the bad case of tunnel vision! :rofl

I relocated it for better vision - not sound......

Where did you relocate it? He was just responsible for the sound.
I read somewher that there is a subwoofer relocation kit, is this accurate?

Good luck :cheers

Cooltech tranny cooler and charger system, Safecraft fire extinguisher system, Ford Racing coil covers, Project 321 tank caps and shifter boot replacement, aluminum engine bay vents...the list goes on and on.:lol

Keep listing please and if it is not too much trouble, links would be helpful.
You guys are wearing out my fingers! However, I love it!

Nothing regarding the brakes, interesting.

Rocky

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Strangely enough, one of my close friends designed the Mac system for the GT and he said leave it alone.

I am surprised anyone would admit to designing such an abomination and then the balls to say leave it alone! :ack

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
I am surprised anyone would admit to designing such an abomination and then the balls to say leave it alone! :ack

We are both Airborne and crazy, your milage may vary.
Is it really that bad?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Is it really that bad?

Well, there are hundreds of us that have spent thousands of dollars to get rid of it....:ack

Let's just say the behind the seat option is much cleaner.:biggrin

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Well, there are hundreds of us that have spent thousands of dollars to get rid of it....:ack

Let's just say the behind the seat option is much cleaner.:biggrin

I need some pics if anyone has them.
Thanks again!
Rocky

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Is it really that bad?

IMHO, when you look into the car it is the 1st thing you see and the sight it isn't pleasing. When you are driving in the car, you see this bulbest thing out of the corner of your eye and it interferes with your right elbow at times. The interior looks much cleaner without it. From a sound standpoint, the car is noisy enough even in stock trim, that any belief of quality music is a false illusion. Also placement of the sub-woofer at a geometric midpoint accentuates standing waves, making tuning a challenge at best.

Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I probably will just listen to music from the engine anyway. Funny note, I had a 360 coupe and I never once turned on the radio, I did roll the windows down a lot!

If the stereo is not that important, you could always look for a GT that doesn't have the Mac. I consider myself very fortunate to have found a GT with the standard radio. I much prefer the enhanced rearward view to having a sub-woofer.

Good luck in your search and don't forget Quick Silver Metallic!

Best Regards,
Waldo

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Is it really that bad?

I'm Airborne as well. It is that bad.

Best Regards,
Waldo