GT Price Help Please

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
I have the opportunity to purchase an 06 Black /Silver with 3k miles and car has all the options. Here's the catch, the car had been heavily modded and I wanted input as to how these mods affect value.

I don't have the exact list of mods as I just came back from inspecting the car but from what the owner has told me and what I can see this is the list.

Pulley, Acufab throttle body, after market exhaust, rear view camera (kinda neat as you can see the rear view monitor in the rear view mirror only when you are in reverse), front and rear K40 and also seems to have a switch that adjusts timing ect when switching to race fuel. I have not seen a dyno but was told it's putting out 750hp. Car comes with original exhaust and all paperwork, cover, charger and booklets. Guy has well over 220k into he car.

What is a safe price to get into this car? I know past few years they have actually been going up but I am not sure about modded GTs.

Any help is much appreciated.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Since all the OEM parts are available, you have the ability to return the car to pure stock. So from that standpoint there may be greater value in the deal vis-a-vis a bone stock car. I'd be more concerned about potential abuse, but note that some owners perform mods strictly to have bragging rights. Have the car carefully inspected by Rich & Dennis or someone equally qualified.

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
Since all the OEM parts are available, you have the ability to return the car to pure stock. So from that standpoint there may be greater value in the deal vis-a-vis a bone stock car. I'd be more concerned about potential abuse, but note that some owners perform mods strictly to have bragging rights. Have the car carefully inspected by Rich & Dennis or someone equally qualified.

Thanks! Do you have contact info for a GT authority in So Cal to inspect it?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Have Jack at Muscle Motors (MMP) or Kendall Pond at CoolTech check the car, drop the belly pans, and get the car on an alignment rack as well as do a leak down test. As well as check for any repainted panels. Good luck. Any reasonable seller should allow a PPI at your expense Don't skip any of the points mentioned. You can contact both of these gents through this forum.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I agree with all the above comments. I also think that if the mods are to your taste, they are worth extra as many of us here would do those mods once we got the car, therefore it would save us/you money.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
IMO the mentioned mods are very desirable and should have a positive impact on both value and enjoyment. In addition to having a professional inspection, there are probably "reasonably" similar cars available through Elite Auto, BJ Motors, Ebay and AutoTrader that would help you determine the car's value, and in the process, you may find another you like as much or more. :cheers

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Have Jack at Muscle Motors (MMP) or Kendall Pond at CoolTech check the car, drop the belly pans, and get the car on an alignment rack as well as do a leak down test. As well as check for any repainted panels. Good luck. Any reasonable seller should allow a PPI at your expense Don't skip any of the points mentioned. You can contact both of these gents through this forum.

Kendall helped me look at a modded GT today in so cal and I would highly recommend his services. Very knowledgable and friendly guy with a full service shop. I learned a ton about GT's from him.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great, please be very precise and outline exactly what was checked and how.
1. Where the belly pans dropped?
2. Was the alignment checked?
3. Was a leak down test completed?
4. Was the car put on a rack?

Then advise what was found. Thanks.

Kendall helped me look at a modded GT today in so cal and I would highly recommend his services. Very knowledgable and friendly guy with a full service shop. I learned a ton about GT's from him.

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
Markings on the rear say "FORDGT X40" if anyone knows who labeles their mod with that marking.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Mods?

With all those mods for HP I would try and find out how hard the car has been driven. There's a big difference in a novice like myself going for a track day made up of mostly accelarating down the straights versus a better driver thats put her through some punishing laps. IMHO.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
With the ability to load in tunes and remove them, a whole new area of concern opens.
If the owner demands a hot tune for the 1/3 or 1/4 mile and uses the car with that tune on a road course severe damage can occur. This damage may only be detected with a leak down and compression test and the car will drive normally on the street.

I agree with Bill and Kendall, if you know the owner, a lot of questions can be answered. There are numerous FGT's whose owners I know and trust that I would gladly buy over the telephone without any inspection.

My FGT is highly modified, however it never been abused and most of 90% of the mileage has been on the highway. It has been babied.

The key questions are who owned the car, who worked on it. We have seen horrific work done by incompetent dealers. My car has only been touched by The GT Guys and Evan Guyett, never has been back to any dealer.

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
If everything checks out, what's a fair price for this car?

gtx40.jpg

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I was offered that car today for $199k by a dealer that SAID he took it in on trade. IMHO, that price is too high.

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
I was offered that car today for $199k by a dealer that SAID he took it in on trade. IMHO, that price is too high.

lol what a vulture. Prob just trying to get in the middle and make $. After all that's what they do.