GT Intercooler Or Upgrade

silvergt8

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2007
Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of doing a GT TT setup and I was thinking about the idea of doing water to air setup. I know the stock cooler is efficient enough since almost everyone with a TT setup runs it. Now my question would be, do you guys think it would be a better idea to run a bigger water to air setup out back where the air box is? Should I keep the stock cooler…plus add water to air tank? Is it a waste of time?

I just feel that the stock cooler could be holding some power back, but also the whole design itself of the cooler under the blower.
Let me know what you guys think.

thanks

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The stock Honeywell intercooler is probably still the best unit available on the market. It is rated at 1000hp. With a TT setup your motor may could make more than 1000hp (although you will probably need a fuel system to get there) and at that point you are limited by the ability of the intercooler. If it were me, I would focus on getting heat out of the system up front and maybe a bigger IC tank. TT cars runs much cooler (I am told).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I agree with Fubar. One of the elegant attributes of the OEM cooler is that it does not require any extra plumbing to get to/from it. If you start talking about placing one in the back then, by definition, you are going to have run intake, "charged" plumbing to and from. Maybe 10' or more of 4" to 5" plumbing - all of which needs to be "charged" when the turbos spool up. All for marginal, if any, gains.