gt in traffic

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Yesterday I went to Montreal to have the llumar coating applied to my car in anticipation for my trip to Detroit in August (yes I am driving, should be fun). On the way through the city I was stuck in traffic (barely moving) for about 40 min. Outsde temp was barely 80 F. The temperature guage rose to 210 F (with A/C). It was somewhat tense being sandwiched B/N trucks wondering if they could see me in their mirrors!! It is fortunate the GT has a easy clutch or my sciatica would of had the best of me!! What are the experiences of owners as far as operating temps in warmer clients (such as Florida on I 95)?
As far as the LLumar goes it looks reasonably good even on a black car!! I will probably leave it on a few years and can always remove it without difficulty.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Even beating on my car w/ac it runs between 188 and 200. Maybe it has the Texas cooling pkg. Canadian cars probably don't have radiators.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Gene Cassone said:
Yesterday I went to Montreal to have the llumar coating applied to my car in anticipation for my trip to Detroit in August (yes I am driving, should be fun). On the way through the city I was stuck in traffic (barely moving) for about 40 min. Outsde temp was barely 80 F. The temperature guage rose to 210 F (with A/C). It was somewhat tense being sandwiched B/N trucks wondering if they could see me in their mirrors!! It is fortunate the GT has a easy clutch or my sciatica would of had the best of me!! What are the experiences of owners as far as operating temps in warmer clients (such as Florida on I 95)?
As far as the LLumar goes it looks reasonably good even on a black car!! I will probably leave it on a few years and can always remove it without difficulty.

Gene

There are numerous threads concerning the heat build-up in traffic and normal driving. It is a major problem. If you look at the rear of the engine compartment you will see that muffler blocking the escape route for air, thus no ventilation. No ventilation = heat soak = high operating temps. People in warm, hot and cool climate areas have reported on this problem.

Also do a search for the Ida exhaust system as people, self included, are reporting a drop in operating temps of 20 degrees F or more.

Yeah trucks have a hard time seeing you as do cars. Those in front of you at a traffic light may not be able to see you in their rear view mirror. Its part of the experience.

Dave

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
hi Gene Cassone,

Do you plan going back to montreal soon? I have never seen a Ford GT in real life and Ive never head there was some on montreal, I have seen F430s and Gallardos but never Ford GTs.

Anyway if you come back here, could I know when i could take a look at it if it doesnt bother you.

Thanks

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Thanks for the tip on the exhaust. i see it has been noted before. The car is an american speck car ( I live in upstate NY on beautifull Lake Champlain home of Champy!). Matavarium; While I was in Montreal I saw a White GT at a Ford Dealer of St Martin Est. It was its 3rd car in a month and there appears to be little to no price inflation . Probably a reflection of the US experience!!

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
Ah ok thanks Gene Cassone ill go chek it out with my dad :p I really need to see one of those cars in real life :)

PS. Gene Cassone do you live in Quebec or you jsut took a trip here? And I hope you did not do any damage to your car due to the condition of quebecs road, they are AWFUL! Holes everywhere and City dont even fix them.

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Ida exhaust?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Matavarium,
I live in Plattsburgh and yes the roads in Quebec are terrible! I am surprised I did not have any new rattles after the trip!! I forgot to mention the dealer is in Laval. I did note the Canadian bumpers are longer (protude farther to the rear).

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Doc / Eshrink - IDAperformance.com is one site. "Kinetics" from Duluth Ga. is another. Living in North Carolina I'm also worried about temp buildup. What both do is replace the "box" muffler with cross loops connecting the stock exhaust system to new tips/ rear pipes. By design these system open up the rear of the car for ventilation..

let's talk and get two cars for a price! :biggrin

Mike

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Is there a website for Kinetics? I've also seen that Borla makes an exhaust system, but appears to increase engine temps. I'm all for reducing the operating temps and bringing on a little more nasty sound, but not so sure I want to go the full tubular header route.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
How does the Ida exhaust compare to the Borla on sound? Anyone been able to compare the two? What about resonance? The Borla sounds very similar to stock while in the car with the windows up. Little or no resonance at any rpm.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Kinetic Speed Shop

KJRGT details are:

Kinetic Speed Shop...877-34speed, office 770-271-1577 www.kssmotorsports.com

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
MAD In NC:

www.IDAperformance.com does not come up. Are they and Kinetics both doing the essentially the same exhaust?

I gather that the Borla sounds very good (they make the Ford Racing exhaust) but it does not increase air flow (and lower temperature).

Does not Kinetics want about $2200 for their system and Borla want about double that...trying to recall.

Kinetics wrote me today and plans to call the office tomorrow. Perhaps I'll get some details at that time. Despite my being in Atlanta, they are not close by.

- doc

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
eshrink said:
MAD In NC:

www.IDAperformance.com does not come up. Are they and Kinetics both doing the essentially the same exhaust?

I gather that the Borla sounds very good (they make the Ford Racing exhaust) but it does not increase air flow (and lower temperature).

Does not Kinetics want about $2200 for their system and Borla want about double that...trying to recall.

Kinetics wrote me today and plans to call the office tomorrow. Perhaps I'll get some details at that time. Despite my being in Atlanta, they are not close by.

- doc

Some one posted the wrong address. Try http://www.idaautomotive.com/ and click on Ford GT items.

He also has the air intake stiffners available right now with a dyno chart showing the impact on A/F ratio.

Dave

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
PHXGT said:
How does the Ida exhaust compare to the Borla on sound? Anyone been able to compare the two? What about resonance? The Borla sounds very similar to stock while in the car with the windows up. Little or no resonance at any rpm.

The IDA exhaust is throatier and louder than both the stock and Borla exhausts.. It can be customized to your particular taste/tolerance of sound.

Dave

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
The basic thing everyone here needs to understand is that the stock calibration does not turn the low speed cooling fan on until 210 degrees. So if the vehicle is not moving temps will rise to 210. The hi speed fan is not commanded to come on until 228 degrees. So in essence the vehicle is doing exactly what the Ford engineers are commanding it to. Now I live in FL and in traffic when its nice and hot out my car will run around 178-180 degrees. Why ? I command the fans to come on and stay on earlier. Yes this is with the AC on as well with the factory exhaust in place.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
tmcphail said:
...I command the fans to come on and stay on earlier. Yes this is with the AC on as well with the factory exhaust in place.

How?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
By having the vehicle reflashed with a good file. I dyno tune cars and make HP for a living. Research and development is a good thing :biggrin

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail
2005 Ford GT Black / Silver stripe 618rwhp / 592 rwtq
2005 Silver Viper 490rwhp / 530rwtq
150 shot 610 rwhp / 760 rwtq
2006 Silver Jeep SRT-8 12.6@109.6

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
It could be a multitude of things. That possibly, fan life would be another.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Barondw:

What is typical install price (range if you like) on the IDA exhaust? Are the performance increases (and temp decreases) as they advertise?

And finally, has anyone compared the sound/performance with the Kinetics system?

- doc