GT in Perspectiive

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
When I was 15 years old I was diagnosed with Glioblastoma Multiforme 4 brain cancer. I was given 30 days to live without surgery, and 6 months max with surgery. That’s if I survived the 20hr surgery. We decided to prolong my life as much as possible and agreed on the surgery. They removed a tumor that was the size of a man’s fist. Below is my actual MRI. I was searching a couple years ago to see what improvements had been made and stumbled across it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glioblastoma_multiforme

This all came about because I went to a doctor for headaches and within 48 hours I was laying on a hospital bed waiting to go into surgery the next morning. That night I accepted death at the age of 15. It was a very cold, heartbreaking experience.
The next morning they wheeled me back and went to work. I made it out and after a few weeks I went straight to the next level of Hell….Chemo and Radiation treatments. Sick, frail, having seizures, and knew I was dying. The only thing I found peace in was car magazines. They were all I had. I didn’t want my friends to see me in the condition I was in, so I was alone…a lot. But the car magazines gave me an escape. I dreamed of a brand new Mustang and Camaro. It kept my spirits up and minimized the realty that I was going to be dead soon.

One evening after I was home for a few weeks in-between treatments I was lying in bed and my dad came into my room. He asked me to help him for a minute. I felt horrible but followed him to see what he needed. We went out the front door towards the driveway and my eyes were very sensitive to sunlight so I couldn’t see very well. But there was something very bright in the driveway that was blinding me and I finally was able to focus.

It was a brand new 1991 white Z28 Camaro! It was one of the cars that I dreamed of so many times in the hospital bed. For that brief moment I didn’t have Cancer……I wasn’t dying……..things in my world were perfect. My parents or other family members would take me for rides in it, even let me sneak in a short drive every now and again. It gave me a sense of pride and normality.
So weeks turned to months, and months to 1 year. There started to be hope that I may beat the odds and live longer than they thought. But it was still certain death. The doctor bills kept pilling up and my dad had to sell the Camaro to pay bills. It was hard for me but I understood.
Then one year turned into two…. and so on. The battle was long and hard but, I was beating the Cancer. It had taken my teenage years and a lot of my health, but it never broke my will to survive. I was so far behind in school I had to get my GED. Then I got a job in the Oilfield and worked through the ranks and eventually become a business owner. I now own several businesses and have achieved a lot of milestones in my life.

None more important than my marriage and two beautiful boys. One is 5 and he is starting kindergarten this year. The other is 8 months old. That is important for the obvious reasons, but much more to me. Beside the fact that I am supposed to be in a box, they told me many times after I was beating the odds that I would not be able to have children. Luckily for me it didn’t scare my wife away when I explained to her that I could not give her children.

All my life I have had a lust for cars. They have been my passion; they have kept me alive when I was dying. They have been my relief when stress was unbearable in business. So cars have been a part of who I am all my life. And ever since I have gotten involved with Ford GTs and this community, the GT has become just as special to me as that 1991 Z28. Obviously for different reasons, but still just as special.

Why am I telling my story on a car forum??

Maybe some have let their desire to get a new GT become so significant in their life…..they forgot about their many blessings. Even though getting the opportunity to purchase a new GT is the pinnacle of my car experience, its value in my life is safely tucked where it should be.
If you were denied and are so emotionally distraught that you feel you have to lash out at Ford, look around your life and take stock. Because you are missing out on a lot of important things. There are many things in life that are so simple, yet so precious that we take for granted. Health being one.

I am just happy to be here to enjoy the ride……….:thumbsup

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Yeah, buddy.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
How Great is our God!!! You are a blessing.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It is a wise man who knows how to enjoy what he has, not what he doesn't have. You're one of them.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Wow. What an inspirational story! Thank you for sharing that. Excellent message. Congratulations... On everything.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Wow, talk about perspective. Amen Brother.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Wow,great story very happy for u and wish u continued success in life.Puts things into perspective for sure.Amen!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I wrote my signature line for my Ford GT profile over 10 years ago.

You are a far more effective, living example, of the message I was trying to send than my mere words could ever convey.

Thanks for sharing.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Tx,

Holy mackerel what a life story. I'm sitting here in silence thinking about it. Certainly does put things in perspective. Very well written too. Thanks bro.

Chip

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
that which does not break you only makes you stronger, you have had an amazing life, Im inspired and reminded of your very important message.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Thank you for sharing this story with us all and glad you made it. I bet many of us here can recall hardships of our past that have made us the people we are today. In solidarity, god bless you sir.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
A wonderful story and thank you for sharing it! You never know when you reduce your thoughts to writing (or speaking) just whom you may help to inspire. Yours is a really important message; the perspective and timing are all so very relevant.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
:thumbsup:thumbsup

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I witnessed my nephew at 18 battle the same tumor a few years ago, he lost the battle. Yours is a amazing story and puts it all into a correct perspective! Thanks for sharing!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Thank you for sharing

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
God bless you & your family, Shawn! Thanks for sharing!

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
What an inspirational story! Thank you so much for caring enough, and taking the time, to share it with us.

My eyes are leaking-

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
WOW ....Just WOW! So glad you you are here with us to give us a kick in the pants and you're enjoying the adventures of life. Inspirational my friend.

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Life is good!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Thank you for trusting your fellow GT owners with your inspirational story. You certainly have the right perspective when it comes to the things that matter most. God bless you....and He has.