GT exhaust, what to do with it?

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area
Does anyone have a good idea what to do with a used GT exhaust?

Needless to say, many are removed for after market, like me, but seems wasteful to throw it in the trash. Looks like new, guess it should with 600 miles.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Save it so that if it becomes necessary to return the car to 100% stock you can readily do so.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
The stock e39 M5 exhaust from my '01 was so hideous, bulky, and heavy, I tossed it, when I put on the Tubi Style.

A couple years later, I did wish that I had kept it. I sold the car.

As much a pain in the butt it is, do your best to keep all your stock parts, no matter if you personally never plan to use them again. You just never know.

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
At 60 lbs it might make a good boat anchor. Especially since it’s made of Stainless Steel and with those long exhaust tips should dig into the mud real good.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
One of the M5 board members planted his old exhaust in his garden as a scarecrow.

It was soooo hilarious. The picture was too funny.

A stock M5 exhaust is not a pretty sight.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Any interest in selling the muffler. If so send me a pm with asking price. PD

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
If any of you guys are going to throw away your "take off" parts I am always interested. I would gladly pay the shipping to Kalifornia. I collect junk, just ask my wife. Thanks, TI :biggrin

rveach

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Stockdale, Ohio
I have been thinking of replacing my stock exhaust. What is the best route to go?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
rveach said:
I have been thinking of replacing my stock exhaust. What is the best route to go?

Not to be trite, but the search button is your friend. :thumbsup There are many posts on this question. Reading through some of the forum history will help you out.

H

HHGT

Has anyone gutted and reworked the internals to provide more flow, less restriction and maintain appearance authenticity?

Sam

Thought for the day:

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Florida Chris said:
Not to be trite, but the search button is your friend. :thumbsup There are many posts on this question. Reading through some of the forum history will help you out.

Agree

There are also audio clips you can find of the system in the "exhaust compliation". Search a little - you'll find more than you ever wanted to know. :thumbsup

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
take off GT parts

Just a reminder, back in the 60s and 70s, everyone with a hot car yanked off their smog pumps and pitched them. Just try and buy one now and see what they are worth. I'd be hoarding every nut and bolt. :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
GT's stock parts

"GT Tech" was right on!!!!!!!
Listen to the man!
Y'all save ANYTHING yuh take off'n yur cars! Right down to the stock nuts and bolts ('n' tape THEM to whatever they fasten to also)! And, for Pete's sake - SAVE ALL BRACKETS!!!!!!! :ack
Put all related parts in the same box. Use bubble wrap where appropirate. Store all boxes together AND WRITE A LIST OF WHAT'S IN 'EM on each box.
'Betcha you'll be glad yuh did later! :thumbsup
Been there, dunn all that ~~~~~~~

E.P.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Empty Pockets said:
"GT Tech" was right on!!!!!!!
Listen to the man!
Y'all save ANYTHING yuh take off'n yur cars! Right down to the stock nuts and bolts ('n' tape THEM to whatever they fasten to also)! And, for Pete's sake - SAVE ALL BRACKETS!!!!!!! :ack
Put all related parts in the same box. Use bubble wrap where appropirate. Store all boxes together AND WRITE A LIST OF WHAT'S IN 'EM on each box.
'Betcha you'll be glad yuh did later! :thumbsup
Been there, dunn all that ~~~~~~~

E.P.
amen, amen!