GT at Death Valley

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
On the way back from the AZ GT getaway cruise, Ralphie and I went through Death Valley with the red GT. We took CA-178 through the valley. At 100+ degrees in the bottom of the valley, the GT was starting to get a little hot, so we took her up to Dante's View.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
After Dante's View, we drove down the mountain and stopped at Zabriski's Point. The GT loved being the center of attention and is very photogenic.

9.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Unfortunately, despite filling up with fuel in Parumph, there would be no more fuel stops until we reached Bishop, so we needed to stop at Furnace Creek. Over $6.00/gallon!! :frown

8.jpg

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
From there, we took off toward Scotty's Castle and drove through a huge sand storm. Luckily, we didn't damage the GT, but she did get a bit dusty.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Past the sand storm was the Ubehebe Crater.

13.jpg

14.jpg

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Without the red GT, Death Valley would be nothing but brown.

15.jpg

We didn't get to Scotty's Castle until 6:30 pm and it was closed, so we just hopped the fence, walked over, and checked it out.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

We left Death Valley and headed back to Mammoth Lakes. A great ending to the GT getaway weekend.

19.jpg

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Awesome. You guys have all the fun!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
thanks for sharing, look like a fun drive with little traffic.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Cool pics, thanks for putting those up! Nice looking car. Don't forget to change your air filters!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Rock and Roll with Ralphie! Make sure he takes you to the Side Door to see the "Artwork" in Mammoth!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
That castle is cool. What's the story on it?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
How do you pronounce "Ubehebe"? Is it "Ooh Baby" as in the sound made when the GT pulled up in front of it? ;-) Cool shot.

What's the story on the 'castle'? Given the story, it seems like it's pretty remote. OTOH, one hell of a good driveway to it! LOL.

And what's up with your shorts? Do they really have a picture of Ralphie's GT on them? (sure looks like it).

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Really great shots, must have been quite a day to say the least.
Glad you did not fall into that crater with that sand storm going on! Wow.
Hope to see you two in the morning.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Okay, my shorts are actually GT boxers and usually serve as my PJ's. However, I figured they would be comfortable for a long ride home from AZ to Mammoth Lakes in the GT. I wasn't anticipating walking around and hiking and taking pictures in them (not that this would have stopped me). :)

Here's the scoop on Scotty's Castle... Walter Scott (also known as Death Valley Scotty) went to Death Valley the first time in the late 1800s with a surveying team when he was young. He worked at Harmony Borax Works (now a Death Valley attraction) in his early teens and fell in love with Death Valley. He also was one of the guys who worked with the 20-mule teams to move the borax across the Mojave Desert. (Another attraction in Death Valley is the 20-mule Canyon road.) Scotty also toured as a stunt man with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show for many years. Ralphie, being a train expert of sorts, also told me that he attempted to shatter the world record in speed going across the country. He succeeded, breaking the previous record by more than 8 hours.

He was a wannabe gold prospector. Basically, he conned some investors out of a lot of money by telling them that he had found gold and needed the money to continue mining. No one ever saw this mysterious gold. One day, he supposedly took $12,000 (a lot of money at that time) worth of gold to NY and it was "stolen". He then found new investors who gave more money for the same thing (and this continued for a few years)... One of his investors who was also a friend refused to believe that he was a fraud and went out to see the mine, but came back seeing nothing.

Scott also stole ore from active mines in the area, and when he claimed later to have sold his mine for millions, he was sued and put in jail for all the people he owed money to. They even made a play about him and his fraud with the gold mines.

Some say he really did have a secret gold mine and he used that money to buy the castle in Death Valley's desert, but that's not really what happened.

Anyways, down the road he was released from jail and his old friend and investor Albert Johnson came to see him and forgave him for what he did. Johnson had a lot of money and built ranches and cabins for himself and Scotty in Grapevine. Before the stock market crash, Johnson was in the process of building a huge ranch / vacation home. Scotty, not being able to change his ways, spread tales of how he was building this "castle" for himself and it became known as "Scotty's Castle". Even though Scotty didn't live there and it was a ranch - not a castle, he did go there to have dinners and parties to entertain people and to continue telling his famous stories. In the early 1930's, Johnson had to stop construction on the castle because there was a mistake with whether or not he actually owned that property. Unfortunately, by the time he corrected the issue, the insurance company (and most other businesses) were bankrupt and it didn't get finished, though I didn't notice where it wasn't done.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Hey Eric, if I'm thinking of the same place, he took me there for drinks before the ski party about a week ago. Yes, I got to hear the story and see the "artwork". :lol Is this what you were referring to? That was too funny!!

14.jpg

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Yes mam, that is the one! That is the most famous collage in Mammoth Lakes, scene of numerous failed lynchings and disasterous after parties!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Unfortunately, despite filling up with fuel in Parumph, there would be no more fuel stops until we reached Bishop, so we needed to stop at Furnace Creek. Over $6.00/gallon!! :frown

I'm still trying to recover from the dizzy spell I experienced when I saw that $6+ gas price on the reader board...:willy :frown