Got one

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Thanks for the info. I've never seen a white w/blue but it always grabs my attention so WTH, went for it.
With the amount of tickets I've had in the past and that I make a living driving cars, I'm pretty conservative on the throttle. I do plan on a track day to figure the car out though.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Enjoy it my friend......Theres something Howie put on the passenger seat or trunk!
Good luck and swap out those ORIGINAL goodyears when you get the chance....
15 years later its still exciting.
Good luck
GTJOEY1314

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congratulation with many miles and years of fun with your American Racing Livery Ford GT!

Reactions: digman1

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Congratulations!!! You do know from reading here about all the cautions regarding cold tires, etc. The same goes for wet pavement especially the first little bit after it starts raining when the goo comes to the top and the surface gets slick. Don't punch it and be especially careful about accelerating in turns.
You can say that again. Speaking from experience

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Congrats on the purchase. You will not be disappointed.

Vince H

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Tires are ordered. I'll check the date codes.
Is there an extra-better balance technique? Dots on tires align with what?
Belts and fluids are ordered. I'll check dates on belts. This thing holds a lot of coolant!

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Before you buy coolant read this thread. My results are near the end of the thread.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Before you buy coolant read this thread. My results are near the end of the thread.

Ha, yes I've read it.
Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I have read on past posts something about the Bridgestone tires causing some computer operating problems due to the tire diameters being slightly different than stock. What is this about???

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have read on past posts something about the Bridgestone tires causing some computer operating problems due to the tire diameters being slightly different than stock. What is this about???
I've not seen anything reported like that. The Bridgestones are the preferred replacement tires by almost everyone that has had them. My speedometer read right on. The tires are "stickier", and have much better grip on colder pavement and excellent after they get up to temp. They are soft though and if you drive on gravel you will see them pick up stones. I strongly encourage you to get clear bra on the rockers and rear (and for that matter, the rest of the car).

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
No issues with the Bridgestone's and the computer. Way better tires than the GY's.
If you are going to drive the car I second you should spend the money now to do a clear bra.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Howard at Lucas is a great guy, and I'm sure you'll be pleased!!! Welcome and enjoy!!!!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
No tie in with the computer.....Its a very old school set up.
100,000 miles on Bridgestones…...As of today they are the best.
GTJOEY1314

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
No tie in with the computer.....Its a very old school set up.
100,000 miles on Bridgestones…...As of today they are the best.
GTJOEY1314
Fronts showed up. Date is 44 18. Not too bad I guess. Just need rears...…..and a car!
Can't wait to see the suitcase full of money on the front seat.
Thanks
Rob

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
BEHIND THE PASSENGER SEAT :)
Besides what everyone has said about the Bridgestones, the other HUGE difference is the NON DRONING of the tires after 3 or 4,000 miles.
I like them set at 33
The original owner was a wonderful/charitable guy . You are the true second owner.
Enjoy!
Forgot, that car was serviced at my house with the GTGUYS at the barn year after year. Call them for all the records and what they did.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
My local tire dealer contacted Bridgestone and was informed the original recommended front for the 05 GT was the Potenza 265/40 RX18, he was told it has been discontinued and replaced by the
FEATURED
(153)
POTENZAS-04 POLE POSITION
PerformanceSummer

Size
265/40R18

Thought or info on this appreciated

Last edited:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
My local tire dealer contacted Bridgestone and was informed the original recommended front for the 05 GT was the Potenza 265/40 RX18, he was told it has been discontinued and replaced by the
FEATURED
(153)
PerformanceSummer

Size
265/40R18

Front: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 265/40ZR18 101(Y) N-1
This is what showed up. They're a year old so maybe the Pole Position IS the replacement

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
FEATURED
(153)
PerformanceSummer

Size
265/40R18

Is this just me, or should this be a "Z" rated tire?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, Y Rated. The pole position is not the replacement. Bridgestone dealers don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Get them from Tire Rack or a similar place.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Since you plan to change fluids and belts yourself, here are a few things to consider:

- Taking out one of the seats (quick to do, four bolts) will make it much easier, faster and reduce potential cabin damage when replacing the belts.

- The engine cover in the cabin is sealed with butyl. It is very messy to clean with solvents. I found that rolling up a little ball of the butyl and then using it to dab at the rest, will pull the rest cleanly from the metal surface.

- Replace the messy butyl with:

MD Brand Gray Foam Window Seal 3/16" tall x 3/8" wide Product No: 02253 - Available at Lowes and Home Depot.

- The oil pump belt cover is held with the same style screws used extensively throughout the car. These cover screws are a PIA to remove and install. I had to remove some through the cabin engine cover and some from the bottom. They can be replaced with hex bolts and washers from Fastenal. These replacements are very easy to install and remove all from the bottom. You can easily get a 3/8" torque wrench on all of them, from the bottom. Fastenal Part No:

M6x25mm, Class 10.9, Bolt, Part No: 40653

Washer, Part No: 33075

- The screws used extensively on the car are a round head torx with washer. These cannot be turned by hand. For straight on access like the belly pans, they are easy to install and remove. However, any that are out of position, at an angle, around a corner, etc, are very hard to work with; the torx bit wants to wobble out. I have replaced many of these OEM screws with the following, for much, much easier removal/install. The original purists may groan over this, but, you can bag and mark the removed screws for future use. Also, all the out of position screws are mostly out of site anyway. You may want to have a box of 50 on hand so when you are tired of dealing with the OEM screws you are ready to go. Also, this will give you a few extra OEM screws that cost $6.00 - $10.00 each. If you shop on line for the following, you can get a box of 50 for $9.00. Fastenal Part No:

M6x25mm - 17mm washer, Class 9.8, Part No: 0162790 - This works most of the time

M6x25mm - 24mm washer, Class 9.8, Part No: 0162791 – Some places the OEM washer is not quite big enough and this works better

The only drawback to these is when a plastic part is under the integrated screw washer, it may tend to cut into the plastic. Two options are available 1) use the OEM screw, 2) install a flat washer under the replacement bolt integrated washer.

Last edited: