Golf clubs anyone??

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I just purchased my 1st set of blades (Ben Hogans') the good years... love 'em
So.... my old set is no longer of use to me.... Knock off Callaways with precision rifle shafts..... 3-pw...don't really know what they're worth (maybe I put FGT decals on 'em and paint them Gulf colors) sell 'em for a cool million... Great clubs actually... best round in them was an 83.... anyone need/want... pm me and we'll figure something out....:cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Congratulations on the post count - but also for the Hogans....

I have a set of stiff shafted Hogan Apex Grinds - beautiful. Unfortunately I don't play enough to hit them consistently so am now using an easier club. But the Hogans are lovely - surgical instruments for the fairways!

A 4 iron, hit stiff from a fluffy lie, 200 yards into the heart of a soft green... ah, sweet Hogan dreams!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I offered my all scuba gear,.. would that be a hijack? :)

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I offered my all scuba gear,.. would that be a hijack? :)

I'll swap you for your scuba gear.... ? Thanks for the changes bony..:cheers

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Congratulations on the post count - but also for the Hogans....

I have a set of stiff shafted Hogan Apex Grinds - beautiful. Unfortunately I don't play enough to hit them consistently so am now using an easier club. But the Hogans are lovely - surgical instruments for the fairways!

A 4 iron, hit stiff from a fluffy lie, 200 yards into the heart of a soft green... ah, sweet Hogan dreams!

Played my first round in them/with them the other day.. had 3 disasterous holes... mind you I'm a bogey golfer... but 6 pars and a little birdy chirped my way..... still a 92.... but like I said... DISASTER-OUS:frown no sweet spot

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think they (the Hogans) would be a bit ambitious for an 18 handicap player - I played off 9 when I used them, and found them tough.

They have a sweet spot but it is roughly the size of a fleas' wedding vegetables.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
They have a sweet spot but it is roughly the size of a fleas' wedding vegetables.

A flea's wedding vegetables .....

now thats one I have not heard before!!! and I thought I had heard them all!!!! :rofl:rofl

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I think they (the Hogans) would be a bit ambitious for an 18 handicap player - I played off 9 when I used them, and found them tough.

I'm only an 18 because of how little I play.... Maybe I'm being modest... when I played consistently for 5 years, I was a 9/10 handicap.... But since children work etc..... I'm lucky to get out 10 times a year(use to play 3x's a week)..... hence the disasterous holes..... I strike the ball very well and don't always take the percentage shot.. as a professional athlete, I can tell you that muscle memory is a fantastic thing but the stuborn-ess in me is what causes the triple bogeys from time to time..... that's what I love about the game... challenges my mental toughness more than my physical.... guess I failed last week..:cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The thing with the Hogans is - when you do hit one well, it's like a knife through butter.... if you were on your game, you'd pepper the flag with your approach shots and those long 4 irons are peachy. But your setting yourself a major challenge to use them if you're not playing regularly - but I like that kind of challenge too. It's driving the FGT instead of something with more assistance built in maybe.

We sound probably the same level at golf, although I am far from being even close to an athlete! :biggrin

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
The thing with the Hogans is - when you do hit one well, it's like a knife through butter.... if you were on your game, you'd pepper the flag with your approach shots and those long 4 irons are peachy. But your setting yourself a major challenge to use them if you're not playing regularly - but I like that kind of challenge too. It's driving the FGT instead of something with more assistance built in maybe.

We sound probably the same level at golf, although I am far from being even close to an athlete! :biggrin

come on now!!! athlete yes...... I do agree with you and know it is going to be a challenge... I've always viewed it this way... Work out with the stronger guys.... play with the better guys and always be the smaller fish in the big pond..... Makes me strive to be better and work hard.... I played with my 1st set of Hogans last year.... they were my uncles old set (he's a 3 handicap) obviously I was scared... I'd look down at that tiny club head and say... "how the hell am I suppose to hit this?" needless to say.. front 9 was like a 52..... coming into the back 9 I thought I'm going to shoot into the 100's!!! :eek haven't done that since I was a kid.... so I put my head on straight.... said.... F--- it!!! and came back with a 38 ( yeah... 4 over) finished with a 90........ that's when I knew my mental game was off and I needed to play more... The hogans are a reminder to work on my mental game...... so only time will tell..

Thanks Neilda :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Wow - a 4 over back nine on blades, that must have felt very good indeed....

We're probably boring everyone to death here, but what the hell...

I thing the Hogan blades have the nicest lie when set behind a new golf ball of any club I've ever seen. Instead of thinking 'how the hell am I going to hit this' I look at them and I KNOW I have the right tool for the job. A nice high follow through was my swing thought which kept the backswing slow and controlled.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't use them at the moment preferring, instead, a set of Mizunos, but you're making me think about those Hogans again.

I won't start talking about my A1 condition Joe Powell persimmon woods - oh boy! Ever hit one of those? Again I don't use them, but I used to - such a beautiful strike.

Apologies to everyone else here - I'm sure golf is not to everyone's taste!

N

PS Keep those Hogan shafts dry and polished by the way, I found the chrome was partial to rust spots.

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Wow - a 4 over back nine on blades, that must have felt very good indeed....

We're probably boring everyone to death here, but what the hell...

I thing the Hogan blades have the nicest lie when set behind a new golf ball of any club I've ever seen. Instead of thinking 'how the hell am I going to hit this' I look at them and I KNOW I have the right tool for the job. A nice high follow through was my swing thought which kept the backswing slow and controlled.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't use them at the moment preferring, instead, a set of Mizunos, but you're making me think about those Hogans again.

I won't start talking about my A1 condition Joe Powell persimmon woods - oh boy! Ever hit one of those? Again I don't use them, but I used to - such a beautiful strike.

Apologies to everyone else here - I'm sure golf is not to everyone's taste!

N

PS Keep those Hogan shafts dry and polished by the way, I found the chrome was partial to rust spots.
I have never hit the Joe Powells' and I will take your recommendation on keeping the shafts polished and rust free
I'm sure we're not boring anyone on the subject.... there has to be some real good golfers here... you and I... HACKERS..... when the dates come in for RALLY III it would be great to set up a morning best ball tourney or something... specially for the guys that don't bring their cars.... Anyways... I'll keep you up to date on my improvements... I have yet to break into the 70's and hope that a 79 is close in sight... I just need to play more.. 88-92 regularly when I play a little and 83-86 when I play alot... so we'll see.. cheers :cheers

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
And all along, I thought you guys were talking about a Club for Gulf Owners, and that Ben Hogan and Joe Powell were owners.:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Who said anyone was bored reading this thread?:frown:frown:frown:frown:frown

Cheers!!:cheers

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Do you mean to suggest that they're not talking about a special club for Heritage owners? :confused

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Do you mean to suggest that they're not talking about a special club for Heritage owners? :confused

Are they?:willy

Now I'm really confused.:shrug

Of course, that's not hard to do.:lol

Can I join the Golf Club?:bang

I do have a Gulf.:banana:party:banana

It's a slow day.

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
You guys are hilarious... Now I feel like a golf geek :frown
Just cause you guys have a Heritage edition.. you think you're so much better then the rest of us.... well....... my dad can beat up your dad..:eek

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Use enough club!

Unfortunately I don't play enough to hit them consistently so am now using an easier club. But the Hogans are lovely - surgical instruments for the fairways!

And.....if you're a Kennedy cousin named Michael Skakel, a six iron, swung strongly, is a blunt instrument for dispatching young Martha Moxley who has shown more of an interest in your older brother than yourself. Skakel commented, "the six iron is much smaller and more compact than the Oldsmobile Delta 88 that my uncle Ted used with equal effectiveness around water hazards, but it's still not quite as fast and capable as the turbocharged Piper aircraft that my uncle John Kennedy Jr. used while accomplishing his female "two under".

Chip

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
And.....if you're a Kennedy cousin named Michael Skakel, a six iron, swung strongly, is a blunt instrument for dispatching young Martha Moxley who has shown more of an interest in your older brother than yourself. Skakel commented, "the six iron is much smaller and more compact than the Oldsmobile Delta 88 that my uncle Ted used with equal effectiveness around water hazards, but it's still not quite as fast and capable as the turbocharged Piper aircraft that my uncle John Kennedy Jr. used while accomplishing his female "two under".

Chip

Beck:lol:rofl:lol Twice in one gawdman morning, coffee all over the screen and key board. I now will keep a box of kleenex next to the 'puter. Opps, I forgot I have one there already.... nevermind:biggrin:cheers:biggrin