Glass Between Driver and Engine Cracked

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
A non-forum friend had the glass crack spontaneously in his '05 FGT. His comprehensive insurance covered the $1800 cost (parts and labor).

Has anyone else had this happen?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Wow Dave. That's sure a surprise!
That volcano is really causing havoc over there, huh?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Did his seat back hit the glass? I purchased the seat stops from Analogdesigner (I'm pretty sure) quite some time ago.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hello Dave

I will be in Maui for a few days late October, want to go to Pearl Harbor and enjoy the beach, can you suggest any good restaurants? Hope your glass problem works out OK.

Thank you
Steve
Toronto
Canada

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Oooooops, you're correct. I did get mine from Kendall.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Dave

I will be in Maui for a few days late October, want to go to Pearl Harbor and enjoy the beach, can you suggest any good restaurants? Hope your glass problem works out OK.

Thank you
Steve
Toronto
Canada

Everyone said Mama's but the wait list wasn't compatible with our Saturday PM flight. Instead we went to a place by the Aquarium but I can't rmember what it was called.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Dave,

Since you are playing travel agent, Any recommendations for a lunch place in Hilo? Will be there with a family of 4 in late October.

Thanks,

Brian

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
A non-forum friend had the glass crack spontaneously in his '05 FGT. His comprehensive insurance covered the $1800 cost (parts and labor).

Has anyone else had this happen?

My glass cracked while the car was sitting on jack stands in the garage under it's cover. The only thing that may have caused the crack was high ambient temperature. We did not find any evidence of a potential contact between the glass and anything else. The car had 5100 miles with no issues prior to the crack occurring. Hagerty covered the replacement.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
GT Jack had his break at NOLA, did not know what caused it but had it replaced at Ford dealership.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Mine broke for no apparent reason... Fortunately covered by warranty.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Close but no cigar Blake. It was Utah. I am not even sure when it happened: here in MO, or being transported to UT. It was just "there" the day before the Rally when we headed up to Park City. I have Kendall's seat stops so I am sure it was not seat back hitting the glass. I have no idea what caused it. Also warranty had just expired and the Ford dealership here wanted too much money so I got the glass from X2 and had them install it. that gave me an excuse for another road trip. I did not want to deal with the insurance companies and have some unknown replace it as you have to remove some cabin parts to get it done. I inspected the car when the glass was out, and the glass that came out looking for any clues as to cause but did not find anything. So it's still a mystery what caused it.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Dave,

Since you are playing travel agent, Any recommendations for a lunch place in Hilo? Will be there with a family of 4 in late October.

Thanks,

Brian

Hey Brian,

Hilo is not known for fine dining but there are two places I would recommend.

Ponds has good food, good service and a nice view. www.pondshilohi.com/

Ken's is more local, featuring big portions and big waitresses. Food is good too. www.kenshouseofpancakes.com/

Let me know when you will be around and I might be able to meet you and give you some sightseeing ideas.

Aloha,

Dave

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Hello Dave

Thank you
Steve
Toronto
Canada

Hey Steve,

At Pearl Harbor, you might consider going to the Pacific Aviation Museum - not for food, just to see the beautifully restored WWII planes.

I'm not up on great places to eat because I don't get to Honolulu very often but there are two places I do like. Café Julia has great food and is located inside the YWCA, which is across the street from Iolani Palace. www.cafejuliahawaii.com/[url] Islands has very good burgers, etc. [url]www.islandsrestaurants.com/

Kelvin (Aloha GT) can give you some more restaurant recommendations. He might even own a few of them.

I hope you have a great time. Most locals speak Canadian.

Aloha,

Dave

Last edited:

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Wow Dave. That's sure a surprise!
That volcano is really causing havoc over there, huh?

No worries, Kevin. The hurricane has passed through, the lava is not flowing very fast and no tsunami is expected for a while.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Dang Dave! If I can just get published that there is some kind of an incurable hybird gonorrhea outbreak going around I might just be able to afford a place there. LOL

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Dang Dave! If I can just get published that there is some kind of an incurable hybird gonorrhea outbreak going around I might just be able to afford a place there. LOL

Houses in the path of the lava flow are pretty inexpensive right now, Steve. Sellers motivated. Hot deals.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dave, GT Jack had his crack on the way to Rally in Austin or Salt Lake. I called X2 Collision and he had came up and had it replaced for about $600 I think. They had an auto glass dealer replace rather than they themselves. I think Kendall invented the seat stops just for this problem. Jacks happened on the transport truck.