Girlie Man Clamshell Gas Springs

Aug 25, 2006
Does anyone have a part number for the spring assists?

Joe I made mention of them and the part number in another post (I can get it again as I install them all the time) however more important; they are not so much a spring assist for opening but rather an alternate means to keep pressure on the clamshell while closed.

The early style are a fixed stop; in fact the same as used for the bonnet however the bear-claw style latchs as used do not need these in fact they work better without them so by replacing them with the later spring style the closing becomes easier and more consistent.

Now as for the clamshell opening procedures; the clamshell fit from gal to gal is so different that it becomes IMO a process of finding what works best with your gal. For example I open the clamshell and then unlatch one corner and then use this latch to prop this side up as I walk to the other side and "wholla".

Lastly; I have replaced several sets of the gas shocks including those on my own gal as they become weaker over time.

*** Here is a cut and paste from a previous reply that I made ***

Huuum the early style solid clamshell stop and associated noise; I had not even considered this however I do upgrade the gal's with the early style stops with the late spring style.

In addition to noise that you describe as the result of this design the early style tend not to be as user friendly when closing the clamshell.

The late spring setup allows for easier closing of the clamshell and also pops the clamshell up a bit with the release handle is pulled.

The OEM part number for the late piece is 6G7Z-6343128-A. The early style is simply a threaded stud captured in a welded in place nut however if you elect to use ther later pieces you will need to secure them with a small Nylok because the threaded shaft is smaller in diameter. Once in place they appear as if they were there from day one and work very nice.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Joe

The OEM part number for the late piece is 6G7Z-6343128-A.
Takes care

Shadowman

Bill: Thanks for the part number and related details.

M

Mark O

Bill: Thanks for the part number and related details.

And a babba-booey to ya'all! :thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Just replaced my original clamshell lift assembly with a new set this morning, as my clamshell was not remaining open on its own.

Super easy to do. They just pop in and out of place. Used a set of locking vise grips on the old set to hold while I replaced.

The new ones work so much better than the worn out ones. I do agree that the physical dimensions of the units seem quite slim.

Here are pics of the part numbers.

GT%20Parts-3264_zpspm4yoz71.jpg

GT%20Parts-3140_zpstigadgv2.jpg

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Replace mine last month also and were fairly cheap. I was shocked.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Just Bought two (2) several months ago.. They will be installed next week when I do the 10+ year maintenance, fluid replacements , coolant etc on the vehicle.

Just a recommendation -- if yours seem weak , it is worth a new set... they were $45.00 each if I recall from the dealer.
with weak units , even a small breeze will blow the clamshell shut...not a pretty sound.
andy (ajb)