Getting started.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
I'm looking for a trailer for occasional trip and regurlar storage of my new GT, garage full. Can I fit into an 18? Need to drive in and open door. Enclosed trailer and car must be under 6000 lb since I have a Sequoia. Is this vehicle to small, do I need to get a suburban, have kids so need seats. Alos car will be in SC and NC, any expereince with an insurance co would help. I have a few tickets and got quoted about 4000 form Geico.
tks for any adivse to a newbie.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
funat50 said:
I'm looking for a trailer for occasional trip and regurlar storage of my new GT, garage full. Can I fit into an 18? Need to drive in and open door. Enclosed trailer and car must be under 6000 lb since I have a Sequoia. Is this vehicle to small, do I need to get a suburban, have kids so need seats. Alos car will be in SC and NC, any expereince with an insurance co would help. I have a few tickets and got quoted about 4000 form Geico.
Congrats and welcome on the new baby, The Sequoias towing capacity is 6500lbs. Your GT weighs in @ 3,350lbs. which leaves you with the availability of 3,150lbs.. An enclosed trailer on average weighs what?..... 2000-2500lbs. So I guess you'd have an extra 1000lbs. to play with with equipment etc.... Here lies the problem. You like most of us don't really want the best all the time when it comes to towing the GT but, what we want is the most safe...(OK, the best) Is the Sequoia equiped with a larrger braking package? Do you have the means of installing an electric braking system which allows your vehicle to communicate with the trailer to help stop. Do you really want to be pushing the limit in access of 90% of your current vehicles towing capacity? I guess there are alot of factors you have to decide on. I would hate to give you my opinion and you follow it and then a month later .... regret it!! :confused :frown
I have a diesel truck with towing capacity of 16,000 lbs. and its a quad cab big enough to fit the family. Braking.... never an issue

regards,
tm

fly-by

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Funat50, Lots of opinions on trailers but i like www.tommstrailers.com-i"am trying to remember whether mine is 18 or 20. trailer is all aluminum with side opening door that allows you to open driver side. Weight is 1800lbs i believe car weighs 3400 so you would be ok. Call them to verify weight and look at the website and you can see the trailer. Trailer has a lot of options for tie downs, its easily accessable from both sides,low to the ground for easy loading and the people there are extremley user friendly. Talk to pat hudson and she will help you. Trailer isn"t cheap but you get what you pay for. I have had two of there trailers and found them at the Barrett Jackson car auction in Phoenix. They usually brought a bunch of trailers each year and sold them all. Can"t help you with insurance but you might try one of the specialty insurers that cover classic cars like Haggarty- you tell them how many miles a year your going to drive it and they give you a quote. If i recall its pretty cheap if its under 5k miles a year. Hope this helps.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Thanks all.

I start with the provided info and work my way through.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
funat50 said:

Hi funat50. Congrats on the new GT! If I remember correctly, there is a lot of good info comparing different trailers on this thread. Someone does mention that a 20' trailer is the smallest you can use w/the GT & it also goes into the trucks/power needed to move the trailer. You may want to browse through it.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2225&highlight=trailers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Cheapest insurance I found was STATE FARM. Good luck and welcome. :biggrin

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Use State Farm; I am paying about $1500/yr (5yr client, multi-policy, multi-line, no tix, less than 2500 mi/yr.)